ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2011, 06:50 AM   #5566
Oh2RideMore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,264
Pissed semi tried to kill me Friday

driving in to work Fri morning on north Broadway, an oncoming semi turned left in front of me last minute. I slowed down some but not enough and smacked the front right corner of the semi. Dislocated my elbow and took a bit of a hit to my helmet, but otherwise OK. vstrom is totaled, bars and frame bent. Driver said he did not see me. Will be fine in a month or so, arm is in sling/brace right now. Still can type one handed, so can go back to work Monday. body is sore all over. Be careful out there, they are trying to kill us.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:22 AM   #5567
bash3r
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,685
Man... that sucks.. heal up quick man!! Were you wearing hi-viz or a white helmet? Just wondering.. cuz I'm thinking about snagging a hi-viz helmet.. all the helmet vendors are putting them out now and they seem to do a great job. A couple buddies I ride with have them and they really do a good job, they don't get lost in the bike like a jacket.

Heal quick!! And be safe..

My ADV Website | 3 Step Hideaway |Campground POIs
bash3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 08:59 AM   #5568
studad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 746
Man that sucks. Thats so fortunate that you're able to work. There aren't many ways man and semi can come together and have it go well.
studad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:14 AM   #5569
Oh2RideMore
Beastly Adventurer

no hi-viz

Thinking a white or hi vis helmet might be in order when i get the insurance check. Need a new jacket, pants, boots, helmet and bike of course. Looking for a tdm 850, or similar sized all purpose bike.
Old 11-06-2011, 03:20 PM   #5570
MCRIDER1959
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Thumb

+1 on the Hi-Viz helmet and jacket.
MCRIDER1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:31 PM   #5571
Cumminsman76
befuddled

Oddometer: 8,455
Forget the Hi Viz and put Rigid Industries D2's on the bike. You might annoy some poeple at night but I guarentee you will be seen even in the daytime. My close calls have dropped alot since the lights went on.

Save $5 on Smugmug "1alkVgTNLEuyQ"
Cumminsman76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:43 PM   #5572
lfs225
Can Am Rider

Oddometer: 278
Buechter Bridge is no more. The suspension cables were cut and it was dropped in the creek, Tuesday November 1, 2011. Replacement is underway.
Attached Images

AMA #033031A Charter Life Member
lfs225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 08:32 PM   #5573
bash3r
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsman76 View Post
Forget the Hi Viz and put Rigid Industries D2's on the bike. You might annoy some poeple at night but I guarentee you will be seen even in the daytime. My close calls have dropped alot since the lights went on.
I dunno Todd, when you go flying off the bike and don't have your hi-viz you might get yourself runned over

My ADV Website | 3 Step Hideaway |Campground POIs
bash3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 08:56 PM   #5574
Oh2RideMore
Beastly Adventurer

should have read more

About a month ago i bought the kindle version of proficient motorcycling, and started to read it. Work and life intervened and i forgot about it. Tonight I went back to it. The kindle app remembers where you left off. opened the book and the first sentence on last page read stunned me. "Like it or not, there are some situations in which you have no escape path should another driver wander into your lane."

Guess i should have read on last month. the paragraph following talks about inattentional blindness. Freaked me out a bit.
Old 11-07-2011, 03:04 AM   #5575
MizzouRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh2RideMore View Post
driving in to work Fri morning on north Broadway, an oncoming semi turned left in front of me last minute. I slowed down some but not enough and smacked the front right corner of the semi. Dislocated my elbow and took a bit of a hit to my helmet, but otherwise OK. vstrom is totaled, bars and frame bent. Driver said he did not see me. Will be fine in a month or so, arm is in sling/brace right now. Still can type one handed, so can go back to work Monday. body is sore all over. Be careful out there, they are trying to kill us.
Wow.. Just glad you are still here and typing.. Although it's one handed.
Just about my worst nightmare, semi turning into me.

Hope you heal quickly. I've got a set of lights sitting on the garage floor. Haven't taken the time to install them. Guess I can make the time..

The rutt is in full swing, watch out for the deer. Two bucks were standing along M or W whatever it is that connects Eureka to I-55 (Barnhart) I was coming back from St Gen late yesterday afternoon, and two bucks, one a pretty nice 8 point were running around in a field up next to the road, it was just starting to get dark..
That's my 2nd worst nightmare.
IBA#32778 2008 R1200GSA 2007 G650XChallenge
No man is as good as he ought to be, and few men are as bad as they seem.. (from a early 1900s post card found in Perry, Missouri..)
MizzouRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:38 AM   #5576
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjharris View Post
Your not taking that Rangers - Cardinals thing personal, are you? It's just bidness
Nope nothing personnal. Hey hope most of ya'll are back at SLAP. I had a greaat time and going to have THE MEGA XR650L next year. Getting the engine rebuilt and the guy is trying to talk me into a 727cc kit with 10.5 compression.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:46 AM   #5577
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh2RideMore View Post
Thank goodness you are able to walk away from that accident. I can only imagine what went through your mind just before and during the accident.

Thats a bunch of crap. Those damn cage drivers see us an just pull out thinking he'll stop if he doesn't want to get hurt. If he does hit me, I'll just tell the cops I didn't see him and it will be ok. I have been rear ended wearing the Army force field. A lady pulled out in front of me while riding a Gold Wing with both headlights and driving lights on. Now I just carry a pocket of 00 buckshot to give them a reason not to see through their windshield.

Drunk_Uncle screwed with this post 11-07-2011 at 07:30 AM
Drunk_Uncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 02:17 PM   #5578
rjharris
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk_Uncle View Post
Nope nothing personnal. Hey hope most of ya'll are back at SLAP. I had a greaat time and going to have THE MEGA XR650L next year. Getting the engine rebuilt and the guy is trying to talk me into a 727cc kit with 10.5 compression.
We stopped by VTRA Saturday aft but your were out riding. Left a couple of business cards on your truck. I was hoping we could meet up and ride it together.
rjharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:52 PM   #5579
dwthump
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
Glad You're OK!

Good luck in your healing! You are very lucky!!!

I've had so many close calls over the years on both motorcycles and bicycles, (used to be a long distance cyclist), I just tell myself, "you just made the list", cages don't see ya. I actually feel better on my motorcycle as you are able to be in the main lanes of the road and not confined to the 6 inches on the side of the road as I did on the bicycle.

Darren
dwthump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:53 PM   #5580
Missouri Man
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,636
In Southwest Missouri and just felt my first earthquake tremor. Weird.
Missouri Man is offline   Reply With Quote