ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2012, 07:20 AM   #5926
ROYAL COACHMAN
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 923
Jeff, them bears are everywere!
Will your wife go camping in bear country again?

The Griz that got behind me was a 3 year old young adult male according to the rangers.

I guess at 20 yards, they all look a little BIGGER
Old 01-04-2012, 02:38 PM   #5927
kanur
cu new er

Oddometer: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com View Post
Hey Mark, Looks like you were ridin in my back yard again. Didya run into the crazy lady this ride?
Old 01-04-2012, 02:38 PM   #5928
bash3r
I ain't no DingWeed

Oddometer: 1,723
Bears

Interesting... Before my Arkansas ride I did a little research on the black bear population down there and ran into this for Missouri..

now I'm not color blind but it sure looks like there's more yellow (2011) dots then all the others combined

Adventure Tshirts | 3 Step Hideaway |Campground POIs
bash3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 03:19 PM   #5929
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanur View Post
Hey Mark, Looks like you were ridin in my back yard again. Didya run into the crazy lady this ride?
Hey Dennis,-----no we didn't go thru there this ride.

Mark
2013 Husky 650 TR650 Terra
BigDogAdventures is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:24 PM   #5930
Themastermike
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 690
Or possibly run into this one!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by studad View Post
I took the family for a car-based outing and enjoyed the fine weather last Friday. We went to Rocky Falls, skipped some rocks for a while and had a little summer sausage and cheese snack. We left Rocky Falls about 4 and headed down the North entrance road through Peck Ranch. We were keeping our eyes peeled for elk. We did a couple of low water creek crossings (GO JETTA GO!) and when we made it to the E end of PR, topped a hill and saw about 100 yards out a HUGE black bear! There was no mistaking it for what it was. We were able to drive to within about 100' of it before it split. I'd say it was about 4' at the shoulder and scary as hell for 4 year old Stuboy. The rest of the drive he kept saying "We're in a bear's den and we need to get out."

It was super cool, and if you haven't made it to PR to look for elk you really should. You might see some other cool stuff while you're there.
From KSDK '
Centerville, MO (KSDK) - A 122-pound mountain lion was trapped Wednesday by a private citizen and released Thursday in Reynolds County, the Missouri Department of Conservation said.
According to an MDC spokesman, the lion entered a large cage trap that had been set in the Mark Twain National Forest. The trap, set by Reynolds County Commissioner Wayne Henson, could be used to catch a bobcat, coyote, raccoon or other mammals.
Hensen took the mountain lion to Centerville Thursday to be examined by MDC researchers. The cat was weighed and measured, and DNA was collected before the animal was released into the wild.
Doctors estimated the cat was about two years old. It appeared to be in excellent physical condition and showed no signs of being held in captivity.
Themastermike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:40 PM   #5931
studad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
That would scare the piss out of me. Probably literally.
studad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:31 PM   #5932
Otis the Sasquatch
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,091
A friend of mine used to own 172 acres in Timber, Shannon County, MO. Juncture of Barren Fork & Sinking Creek.
(HWY 19, to "A" east towards Bunker, then south on "CC".)

He had a Mountain Lion AND a Bear on his land.
And trout.
And eagles.

The cougar used to sun himself in the "front yard" (7 acres, mowed) on occasion.
Never did actually see the bear. But tracks, tree scratches, and Bear Poop could be easily found.

We think he was living in the Cane that was along about a half-mile of Sinking Creek, maybe between the cane & a small bluff.

We never looked for the Cougar's house.

He sold out to the State, and now it's a Natural Area. Anybody ever wants to go down that way, gimme a holler. "CC" is Goldwingable. Some GREAT swimming holes on Barren Fork
http://ozarkchronicles.com/where-to-...ren-fork-creek
but the fishin' is as tough as that article makes it out to be.
"This stream is not for the faint of heart and you are chasing trout that have survived unmolested by progress for more than 100 years."

From the last time I fished there (my since-sold Riv and my Brother-in Law) My BIL, the TroutMaster, came up empty.

================================================== =================

Fair Warning; If yer riding down that way, don't go off the marked public roads casually in Shannon County. There's a clan of stereotype inbred (literally) Hillbilly a$$%@!*s that live down there that run around that area, My friend tangled w/ them a couple of times. Mostly over poaching on his land (spotlighting deer).

Remember the Forest Fire down there a while back? Everyone KNOWS it was them that started it. That's their M.O.
Feud with the neighbors? "We'll BURN you out!" (direct quote of a threat to my friend) Real B-Movie stuff.

So they're kinda suspicious of "outsiders". (insert banjo music here).

The conservation agents won't go back up in there unless they have to, and never alone. 'Specially since that time they shot up a Ranger's boat and sank it.... with him in it! (Quote: "Hell, we wasn't aimin' at HIM! Just the boat" Well... that's different then.)
Heck, I heard even the Meth Cooks are scared of them!

As Hunter Thompson used to say, "Fun Times!"

Otis

Fact is, I like roads. I like to move.
Harry Truman
Otis the Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:39 PM   #5933
Otis the Sasquatch
Beastly Adventurer

Just found this.

See that Green patch where Barren Fork & Sinking Creek Meet?

That's his former property. They must have updated the map since the last time I looked.

http://mdc.mo.gov/sites/default/file.../5613_3526.pdf

Otis

Harry Truman
Old 01-05-2012, 10:06 PM   #5934
farrell caesar
Seezer

Oddometer: 405
baja anyone?

Headed to baja 2-9-12. Muddyrabbit from Ohio with 1ton 4 dr truck and trailer going to San Felipe. $500 round trip for bike and you. Headed back the 24th of Feb. I am taking the dr650 or Klr. I could be talked in to taking the ferry to Topolobombo and coming back the mainland...Mazatlan...Oaxaca....Guanahuato....Dura ngo. He has room for 1 or 2 more at this time. I would take the KLR if going home by mainland. Out thru Ojinaga or Eagle Pass.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:50 PM   #5935
Oh2RideMore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,274
Loggers lake area

Love that area, camped down there a couple of years ago after that tonado/straight line winds took down all the trees. Looks like it burned that season as well. Very hickish down there, but the scenery and roads are very nice.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:50 AM   #5936
MizzouRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by farrell caesar View Post
Headed to baja 2-9-12. Muddyrabbit from Ohio with 1ton 4 dr truck and trailer going to San Felipe. $500 round trip for bike and you. Headed back the 24th of Feb. I am taking the dr650 or Klr. I could be talked in to taking the ferry to Topolobombo and coming back the mainland...Mazatlan...Oaxaca....Guanahuato....Dura ngo. He has room for 1 or 2 more at this time. I would take the KLR if going home by mainland. Out thru Ojinaga or Eagle Pass.
You are killing me.. I'm committed to go back to Big Bend TX about that same time.. Crap..I can't back out on my trip.
One of these days..
Have a great trip, post up some pics. I need to see what I missed, so I can beat myself up some more.. Ha

Big Bend isnt too shabby though..
IBA#32778 2008 R1200GSA 2007 G650XChallenge
No man is as good as he ought to be, and few men are as bad as they seem.. (from a early 1900s post card found in Perry, Missouri..)
MizzouRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 04:53 AM   #5937
caver
Missouri The Cave State

Oddometer: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis the Sasquatch View Post
A friend of mine used to own 172 acres in Timber, Shannon County, MO. Juncture of Barren Fork & Sinking Creek.
(HWY 19, to "A" east towards Bunker, then south on "CC".)
I camped back in there at The Sinks many years ago. It was at a semi-annual Missouri cave explorer gathering held there.
caver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:51 AM   #5938
Otis the Sasquatch
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by caver View Post
I camped back in there at The Sinks many years ago. It was at a semi-annual Missouri cave explorer gathering held there.
He talked about the Cavers gatherings. He met a few of them and they were always welcome on his property because they always asked to come in & checked in with him first.

As a Caver, you might know of "Two Entrance Cave" near Eminence. Probably not it's "real" name but that's what we & the locals called it. That is on another friend's Family Property. I've been in it many times. First time was maybe 1977 or so.
When the State took the Current River easement, the "lower" entrance became State property, but the "upper" entrance is still on their property. As of the last time I was down there, about 6-8 years ago, both entrances were open. But I heard they put up "bat bars" on the lower entrance since then.
Has a room we call the Theater, because of the "stage" raised area flanked by "curtains" of flow-stone. Cool cave!

Otis

Harry Truman
Old 01-06-2012, 04:49 PM   #5939
farrell caesar
Seezer

Oddometer: 405
EMU ride plus crash

Had a good ride today with a group from EMU. The bike didn't have the best day. Coming down a hill to a Y with a hard left turn...big wide dirt road straight ahead. Looked at it a second too long and the next thing I saw was a 2 ' ditch. Hit the dirt.. bash plate..gone. easyflow fairing...gone... handle bars...one high, one low dented tank on both sides...front brake gone....left front turn signal ...gone running gear is fine.. run good going home. May be a blessing...I was getting bored with that fairing. Boy I got great mileage going home. I really think fairing gets in the way of ergonomics and handling. I'll put the original screen back on. Thanks Rory and Mark for taking the busted parts off the bike. Thanks Dennis for lunch. I only have alittle bruise on right ankle, right thigh and left shoulder. Baja here I come !
Old 01-06-2012, 05:47 PM   #5940
caver
Missouri The Cave State

Oddometer: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis the Sasquatch View Post

As a Caver, you might know of "Two Entrance Cave" near Eminence. Probably not it's "real" name but that's what we & the locals called it.
Otis
I'm not really familiar with the caves in that area. 99% of my caving was in Perry county. I had to put that hobby into retirement back around 2000. I put on weight and my lower back was giving me problems. I still camp with the cavers when time allows.

Brad
caver is offline   Reply With Quote