ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-29-2012, 06:09 AM   #6346
Britsabroad
Banned
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Springfield/Mizzoo
Oddometer: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwthump View Post
I did a similar ride and used Branson as my base. I love the area and plan on eventually moving down there after kid gets out of college. The riding is awesome!

Darren
'09 KLR (BLUE!)
Hey Darren, my GF lives in Branson & maybe the end of the year or early next year l'll sell my property in Springfield & move down there myself!!!
When do the kids get outa college?
Britsabroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:20 AM   #6347
stefer
Gnarly Adventurer
 
stefer's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Rolla, MO
Oddometer: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_SAPPER View Post
I am not to far from you, on the back side of Fort Leonard Wood. Alot of good riding around the area. There is afew of around here thinking about getting something and going here for a group gathering some day.

You can also pull up the swinging bridge ride tracks and give them a try they not to far out of your area and would be a good ride for you.
I just might do that. My parents live about 20 minutes from three of the swinging bridges.

stefer screwed with this post 05-29-2012 at 08:20 AM Reason: Formatting problems
stefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 02:59 PM   #6348
tri650
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2006
Oddometer: 356
Looking for Sunday ride

I just picked up a 03 KLX400 and wanted to get out this weekend - actually Sunday - for a dirt/gravel ride. I don't know a lot of the roads that are usually discussed on this thread but interested in some around the St. Charles area or around there. I live in Wildwood but can meet anywhere within reason. Doesn't need to be an all day ride but wanted to get this new toy dirty.
tri650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 02:28 PM   #6349
britbiker
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: St. Louis, MO
Oddometer: 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by justdirtyfun View Post
Hi folks, looking for some suggestions for roads as wife and I ride southern Mo and northern Ar. First day will get us from Alton down to Eminence area. We camp at Palmer lake and rode in Eminence so a few roads will be DD, P. Everyone and their brother post pictures of Bixby gas stop so hopefully that's included. Day two will get us to Harrison Ar to stay at the Hub, thanks for suggestion Wisperquiet. After that we have three nights in Branson. Will post up pics after and thank-you in advance, Paul.

the Hub's a good time- every time I'm down that way I stop and eat the the buttermilk pie at the oark general store. It's fantastic and the ride makes it even more worth it.

http://www.oarkgeneralstore.com/
britbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:10 PM   #6350
ILwop
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Columbia, IL
Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by tri650 View Post
I just picked up a 03 KLX400 and wanted to get out this weekend - actually Sunday - for a dirt/gravel ride. I don't know a lot of the roads that are usually discussed on this thread but interested in some around the St. Charles area or around there. I live in Wildwood but can meet anywhere within reason. Doesn't need to be an all day ride but wanted to get this new toy dirty.
I don't know if you are willing to make the trip, but it just so happens that my brother and I are heading to Coyote ATV in Coulterville IL on Sunday, June 3. We both have street legal KLX 450s. For all St. Louis area/Southern IL riders, we will meet at the Market Place grocery store parking lot in Columbia IL at 8:30 AM and plan to spend most of the day at this area. You may be familiar with this area if you do any bicycling as it is a popular meeting spot for bicyclists to start their rides on the flats or through the bluffs along the Mississippi river. Columbia is right across the MO state line if you cross the JB bridge south of St. Louis on 270. The riding area is about 1 hour from Columbia. You can throw a dirt bike in your vehicle, ride with us there, or meet us there. It costs $10 for the day, and you must purchase this daily permit at the Pistol City restaurant in Coulterville first. The restaurant is very good eating and a good place to go back to for lunch buffet--it is a couple miles from the riding area. There is no Illinois OHV sticker required at this site that I am aware of, but if anyone else that rides at Coyote has any different info, please speak up. We have been going there for several years and the owner has never mentioned that. It is an area of quite a bit of single track through woods and creeks with several steep hills. There is also a motocross track near the parking area, and the parking area is shaded. There is also another section you can ride about a half mile away via a country road and this area has a long trail that snakes around a lake. Riders are allowed to swim in the lake. It looks like the area will be perfect since we are supposed to get rain tonight and tomorrow, and then sunny Sat and Sunday, so won't be dusty and will probably have some mud. A KLR can manage on the trails but street tires won't cut it. The ride from Columbia to the riding area is nice and somewhat uncrowded 2 lane. You can google Coyote ATV to check it out, and also Market Place in Columbia for address/directions.
__________________
A man's got to know his limitations. Dirty Harry.
ILwop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:32 PM   #6351
dwthump
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: So. Illinois
Oddometer: 290
Branson Area

Britsabroad,

I've got 3 years until the youngest is out of High School, then she's going out of state for college. That's when I move to the Springfield area. It's only 30 miles from Branson/Arkansas. The roads are unreal! I would even like to run a crotch rocket through the area, but my KLR is fine!

Darren
'09 KLR (blue)
dwthump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:47 PM   #6352
justdirtyfun
Gnarly Adventurer
 
justdirtyfun's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Alton,IL
Oddometer: 280
mo/ar trip

It's finally here. Sort of. We need tomorrow's rain to come and go, we'll be dodging raindrops for sure. All th info is appreciated . Can anyone recommend a watch that loses a couple hours a day? It will be over too quick I'm sure. That Coyote riding sounds cool also. Will keep that info for later. Everyone stay safe.
justdirtyfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:17 PM   #6353
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole
 
TRZ Charlie's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Fayetteville, AR
Oddometer: 14,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwthump View Post
Britsabroad,

I've got 3 years until the youngest is out of High School, then she's going out of state for college. That's when I move to the Springfield area. It's only 30 miles from Branson/Arkansas. The roads are unreal! I would even like to run a crotch rocket through the area, but my KLR is fine!

Darren
'09 KLR (blue)
I live in Eureka Springs. You're correct about the roads here.
TRZ Charlie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 03:41 PM   #6354
ILwop
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Columbia, IL
Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILwop View Post
I don't know if you are willing to make the trip, but it just so happens that my brother and I are heading to Coyote ATV in Coulterville IL on Sunday, June 3. We both have street legal KLX 450s. For all St. Louis area/Southern IL riders, we will meet at the Market Place grocery store parking lot in Columbia IL at 8:30 AM and plan to spend most of the day at this area. You may be familiar with this area if you do any bicycling as it is a popular meeting spot for bicyclists to start their rides on the flats or through the bluffs along the Mississippi river. Columbia is right across the MO state line if you cross the JB bridge south of St. Louis on 270. The riding area is about 1 hour from Columbia. You can throw a dirt bike in your vehicle, ride with us there, or meet us there. It costs $10 for the day, and you must purchase this daily permit at the Pistol City restaurant in Coulterville first. The restaurant is very good eating and a good place to go back to for lunch buffet--it is a couple miles from the riding area. There is no Illinois OHV sticker required at this site that I am aware of, but if anyone else that rides at Coyote has any different info, please speak up. We have been going there for several years and the owner has never mentioned that. It is an area of quite a bit of single track through woods and creeks with several steep hills. There is also a motocross track near the parking area, and the parking area is shaded. There is also another section you can ride about a half mile away via a country road and this area has a long trail that snakes around a lake. Riders are allowed to swim in the lake. It looks like the area will be perfect since we are supposed to get rain tonight and tomorrow, and then sunny Sat and Sunday, so won't be dusty and will probably have some mud. A KLR can manage on the trails but street tires won't cut it. The ride from Columbia to the riding area is nice and somewhat uncrowded 2 lane. You can google Coyote ATV to check it out, and also Market Place in Columbia for address/directions.
Before I am corrected, I wanted to clarify that I should not have used the term "single-track" as you cannot expect mountain bike width. Should have used "off-road" as there are quads that utilize the place, as this should be obvious to all since it is called Coyote ATV. Don't want to mislead anyone! L8R.
__________________
A man's got to know his limitations. Dirty Harry.
ILwop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:23 PM   #6355
stefer
Gnarly Adventurer
 
stefer's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Rolla, MO
Oddometer: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwthump View Post
Britsabroad,

I've got 3 years until the youngest is out of High School, then she's going out of state for college. That's when I move to the Springfield area. It's only 30 miles from Branson/Arkansas. The roads are unreal! I would even like to run a crotch rocket through the area, but my KLR is fine!

Darren
'09 KLR (blue)
I can vouch for this, they have some nice hills. Nice roads down there.
__________________
Rolla, MO Rider
Red 2006 KLR 650 - Odometer: Much too low
Profound quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ancient Proverb
Anxiety weighs down the heart, but a kind word cheers it up.
stefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:05 PM   #6356
Teep
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Mid-Missouri
Oddometer: 288
A cool video

If you're close to Gateway BMW stop by and check out the cool video. Some crazy on a GSA decided to ride a hare scramble.
Teep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:15 PM   #6357
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole
 
TRZ Charlie's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Fayetteville, AR
Oddometer: 14,245
Hey y'all,

My wife and I came through Bixby on Friday and saw a gigantic gaggle of dual sporters there. Was there a special ride or something?
TRZ Charlie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:27 PM   #6358
sieg
Beastly Adventurer
 
sieg's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Southern Illinois USA
Oddometer: 2,347
Midwest Trail Riders "Show Me 200" dualsport ride was this weekend at Bixby
__________________
I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but let's take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.
Current bikes F800GS-EXCF350-Versys-690R-RZ350
sieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:06 PM   #6359
justdirtyfun
Gnarly Adventurer
 
justdirtyfun's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Alton,IL
Oddometer: 280
I'm really confused....drzcharlie is up in Bixby, tons of riders are hitting cool d.s. trails at show me 200 and wife and I are spinning wheels down in Eureka Springs/Branson. Justdirtyfun must just be a name cause this area is SWEET! Great to hear everyone is burning rubber and twisting throttle.
justdirtyfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:40 AM   #6360
rustynut2
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: illinois
Oddometer: 424
Are there any more rides/events coming up around the area. Did the SBR and SLAP, need more.
__________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Work harder, millions on welfare depend on you.

12 T800XC
09 KLR 650
rustynut2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014