ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2012, 03:56 AM   #6391
MizzouRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamelBill View Post
A little off topic, but we did ride our bike out to do it. We did 10 lines, the tallest 225 feet and 1/4 mile long. Lots of fun!

http://youtu.be/d54O9SMHWxw
Your timing was perfect. Today's my older son's Birthday. I told him if his girlfriend didn't want to go with him, I'm in!

Saved some $$ on the website.
Thanks
IBA#32778 2008 R1200GSA 2007 G650XChallenge
No man is as good as he ought to be, and few men are as bad as they seem.. (from a early 1900s post card found in Perry, Missouri..)
MizzouRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:44 AM   #6392
CamelBill
Ride It!

Oddometer: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRider View Post
Your timing was perfect. Today's my older son's Birthday. I told him if his girlfriend didn't want to go with him, I'm in!

Saved some $$ on the website.
Thanks
Jeff, Glad to hear it, I bought a two person voucher for my daughter as well, part of her H.S. Grad present. As I said, be sure you buck up the extra $20 for the 10 line tour when you get there, as those 4 are the best lines out there.
CO Single Track RR http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post24875020
CamelBill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:51 AM   #6393
2degreesout
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony K View Post
Take I-255 south, it becomes I-270 at I-55 in Missouri to I-64. You should miss the worst of construction and be going
opposite the worst of rush hour traffic on I-270.
+1

I-64 west of I-270 will have varying degrees of congestion until you get past the Missouri river and then it should be good.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:14 AM   #6394
Britsabroad
Banned

Oddometer: 203
I've got 3 years until the youngest is out of High School, then she's going out of state for college. That's when I move to the Springfield area. It's only 30 miles from Branson/Arkansas. The roads are unreal! I would even like to run a crotch rocket through the area, but my KLR is fine!

Hey Darren, 3yrs isn't that long, & it will give you time to inspect the low cost of housing around here (do you want a pre-move investment property for $45k????)

I really wouldn't advise crotch rockets for all the usual reasons, but mainly because your KLR will take you around the beautiful scenery more comfortably & with a much superior viewing position!

PM me when you're ready to start viewing.......
Britsabroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:12 AM   #6395
RHP 997
perm-a-n00b

Oddometer: 1
Seeking advice comments South Central MO

Myself and a couple of other C. IL people are coming to the Park Hills-Bixby-Mark Twain Forest area June 21st-24. Places to stay? Routes, trails? Places to eat? None of us have been there before and we are non-GPS folks.
Any help or comments would be welcome.
RHP 997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:19 AM   #6396
justdirtyfun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
RHP997 I have roughed it in state forest for years along Palmer lake, if that is your style. It's near the intersection of DD and C. the right turn into the area is huge and should be slab rd. on maps but no sign at intersection. The water is clear, great swimming and I like the nightly fees! Hope its a blast.
Hey I might be available that weekend, send me your # if you want more info. Paul

justdirtyfun screwed with this post 06-13-2012 at 10:12 AM Reason: edit
justdirtyfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:29 AM   #6397
rustynut2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 439
Council Bluff lake for camping, and swimming it you want. Check out the Swinging Bridges Ride for tracks
here. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=763627
Bixby general store for food any time of day, am-pm.

12 T800XC
09 KLR 650
rustynut2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:50 AM   #6398
Schnickelfritz
pick, grin, repeat

Oddometer: 1,892
Road Closure: Hwy 49 in Reynolds County

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHP 997 View Post
Myself and a couple of other C. IL people are coming to the Park Hills-Bixby-Mark Twain Forest area June 21st-24. Places to stay? Routes, trails? Places to eat? None of us have been there before and we are non-GPS folks.
Any help or comments would be welcome.
Johnson Shut-Ins State Park, on Hwy N, camping and one of the best swimmin holes in the region
Elephant Rocks State Park, on 21 just NW of Pilot Knob

Be aware that Hwy 49 between Black and Hwy A is closed for bridge work thru the summer, so if you're going from Bixby or Belleview to Lesterville or Centerville or vice versa, you'll need to go via KK and J (west of closure) or via 21 or N (east), instead of via 32 and 49.

Some of my fave roads down there are 19/49 from Steelville to Viburnum and Bixby, 32 from Salem to Hwy A, Hwy 106 from Ellington out to the Current/Jacks Fork area (check out the giant springs and swim in some cold-ass water), 19 from Salem to the south, and many of the other small state hwys in a 20-mile radius of Bixby.

Schnickelfritz screwed with this post 06-13-2012 at 10:53 AM Reason: title
Schnickelfritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:22 PM   #6399
geno_rocket
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony K View Post
Take I-255 south, it becomes I-270 at I-55 in Missouri to I-64. You should miss the worst of construction and be going
opposite the worst of rush hour traffic on I-270.
Ditto for this route as the "fastest" with the least amount of traffic through the city. You'll be going against the major traffic flow except when you rejoin I-64 at west from I-270 south.

At 4:00 to 4:30 and even that stretch may be okay.

Speedy passage!
geno_rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:46 PM   #6400
Oh2RideMore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,264
Sunday MTRA ride Viburnum

Going camping and floating this weekend on the upper meramec, then riding over to viburnum to ride at MTRA's property. Anyone else heading down Sunday?
Old 06-15-2012, 04:08 PM   #6401
ILwop
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Bixby area

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustynut2 View Post
Council Bluff lake for camping, and swimming it you want. Check out the Swinging Bridges Ride for tracks
here. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=763627
Bixby general store for food any time of day, am-pm.
I'm with Rustynut. Camped at Council Bluff Lake last weekend w/Kayak, wife and kids. Great beach and quiet campground with good privacy. No electricity, so you don't need reservations as there are a lot of sites and you can pretty much arrive and fill out the card for self-pay and pick an available site. $10 a night in most sites that have firepit/grill, flat cleared area for tent, rock driveway to fit two vehicles, picnic table and plenty of shade as all sites are in mature forest. 8 is the max capacity at each site. Prices increase as the driveway length increases for RVs. Have fun!
Old 06-15-2012, 08:34 PM   #6402
geno_rocket
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
++ on Council Bluffs. My wife and I have been there in the summer when we had the entire beach area to ourselves. It also has an excellent 12 mile mountain bike trail around the lake. Yeah, I know that takes human power, but it is a really nice ride.
geno_rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:57 PM   #6403
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,059
Great Motorcycle Service!!!!!!

Nothing like have a shop so willing to make sure your oil drain plug and oil filter don't fall out that they use an IMPACT wrench to install them. Its even better when you are 4,000 miles away and four days away from Dust 2 Dawson. I stripped my Triumph official oil filter wrench trying to remove this damn oil filter. So now I have to hope the Anchorage Triumph dealer can fit me in tomorrow. In case you were wondering said motorcycle shop was El Dorado Cycles in El Dorado Springs, MO!!
Old 06-16-2012, 09:27 AM   #6404
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh2RideMore View Post
Going camping and floating this weekend on the upper meramec, then riding over to viburnum to ride at MTRA's property. Anyone else heading down Sunday?
Wish I could, I'd show you some secret stuff. The kid is taking me for a ride to lunch for father's day, maybe we can eat at Bixby and drop by the club. Have fun, watch for rocks on the trail!
Old 06-19-2012, 07:38 PM   #6405
tokyoklahoma
75%has been25%wanabe

Oddometer: 1,364
Thumb Thank You

We had a great time in St. Louis over the weekend. Went to Gateway BMW first and fell in lust with a Husqvarna TE 511.
Tom Huff is a gentleman and a scholar. All the staff were very helpful and they will be making a sale when I get my financial ducks in a row.

We then went to Donalson's, were treated very well by the staff, and ran out of time before we saw everything we wanted to. (family plans)
We will be back to both places, and to the others recommended, on our next trip to town.

Thanks again for the great info.
tokyoklahoma is offline   Reply With Quote