ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2012, 03:42 PM   #6496
SemperMo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh2RideMore View Post
Eric is currently transitioning from his day job in IT, to Velocity Calibrations. He is looking for a business location, but does not currently have a shop and works out of his home. He said he attends all the bike nights and other local events while he builds his business. Right now he is a bring the shock to me kinda place. He can order what you need for your shock after a consult.

I have no affiliation with this business, just found him at bike night. Eric was nice, knowledgeable, and got me dialed in as far as stock allowed. Going to have him order the right spring for my shock and refresh the shock after my cross country ride.
I can only second this.

I met Eric through the MCRA (racing org), and he was helping me get my suspension dialed in on my trackbike before it decided to do the highside mod (farkle?) and I went flying.

He is more into the street/track, but has an awesome wealth of knowledge about suspensions. I know that he has done several courses with RaceTech and Ohlins, and he has a booth set up at all trackday (Gateway, Heartland Park, Putnum) events.

I'm sure he could help anyone with their suspenders, couldn't hurt to ask I guess
SemperMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:03 AM   #6497
on2wheels52
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by studad View Post
I met a group of Dual Sport riders on a two lane highway around the lakes SW of Branson last Saturday. There were maybe a half dozen bikes in the group. I was on a black KLR two-up with my wife. Anybody know who that was? Great day to be out for a ride. Glad to see some other ADV types, we stay in the sticks so much the DS bikes don't get a lot of visibility.
May have been my group if we just passed on the road. We chatted with a guy on a DR for a bit.
We were all at the Crane rally.
Jim
on2wheels52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:44 AM   #6498
Oh2RideMore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,264
versys road trip

Just put on a set of new tires, cleaned and adjusted chain, and changed oil on the versys. Big road trip out to new mexico and colorado starts tomorrow. Gonna find out just how well a versys handles 2 up touring. 3000 miles or so in 9 days. Been a while since spooning on tires and liked it so much, did it 3 times on the front rim. Kept installing it with tread going opposite direction as wheel. Damn. Got it down to 5 minutes now though.

Is anyone still riding in the heat? Almost oppressive out there with gear on. Picked up a pair of olympia recon mesh pants for the ride.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:07 PM   #6499
justdirtyfun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Hope your trip is top shelf. That area is on my short list for next year so fill us in when you return. Have you bought a Butler's map? They recently did an Ozark area map but I haven't personally seen any version. This heat has knocked back most riding for me and the wife also. Vented pants could give some relief.
Today I watched a coworker(unfriendly) yank his shirt off and hit the road on his 70's goldwing, riding on a TOTALLY bald rear. Can't we just not think and just ride?
justdirtyfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:08 PM   #6500
geno_rocket
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
Quote:
Just put on a set of new tires, cleaned and adjusted chain, and changed oil on the versys. Big road trip out to new mexico and colorado starts tomorrow. Gonna find out just how well a versys handles 2 up touring. 3000 miles or so in 9 days. Been a while since spooning on tires and liked it so much, did it 3 times on the front rim. Kept installing it with tread going opposite direction as wheel. Damn. Got it down to 5 minutes now though.

Is anyone still riding in the heat? Almost oppressive out there with gear on. Picked up a pair of olympia recon mesh pants for the ride.
If I remember correctly this is the trip you were planning with the signficant other. Enjoy it and ride safe.

I just spent a week riding in Arkansas and Missouri as part of the GS Giants. Good fun, but yeah, the heat made it tough at times. No cooling when it is 108 outside.
geno_rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:30 PM   #6501
Oh2RideMore
Beastly Adventurer

ride in the heat

Hard to wear the gear in the heat. Been riding in my khakis and jeans to work without any crash protection on pants. Still wearing a mesh jacket, boots and gloves. Feet sweat like crazy in this heat. The trip is with my girlfriend, who has now joined this forum to protect her honor, at least against me using her as an excuse not to ride the tough stuff. Put a pirelli mt-60 on the front, and an anakee 2 on the rear of the versys. Hoping this combo will be good for street and gravel passes in new mexico and colorado. Just wired up an aux outlet tonight, and strapped on the airhawk and tank bag. Bike is set.

Also picked up a 10 liter dromedary bag for carrying water in the desert, in case of breakdown or whatever. MSR makes it, and I saw some backpackers use it in Glacier NP as a shower, so multi use. :)

Been several years since road trip, and first 2up. Hoping all goes well. Joined AMA today, just in case, and to save on event entries if I ever decide to use that WR.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:26 PM   #6502
RAGBrian
jonesing for a ride

Oddometer: 936
A shout out to the ADV guys and gals in St.. Louis and surrounding area...

If you know about our fellow inmate JamieZ (who hails from Memphis) - he is planning to ride thru St. Louis on the return from his road trip up north Linky to RR.

He is planning on being in town on Wednesday, 8/1. Staying overnight, and then riding on. So he and I have been talking about a meetup for riding, dinner and to share stories. I got a chance to ride with him in the past while we rode a good part of the Mississippi River Trail in MO, gathering gpx data. Linky

I mentioned just now in a PM that I recall that there is a meetup at the Kirkwood Sonic (across from Doc's H-D). Surely we can also show him a good time at another restaurant as well (Triumph? came to my mind) and... well, someplace that has some A/C!

I am finishing up some work in Maryland on Monday and should be back in STL by Tuesday. If someone has some ideas and wants to post them up here, we can keep Jamie posted as well. You can also PM him if necessary. This will give me a chance to meetup with some of you guys as well!
Old 07-29-2012, 09:31 PM   #6503
Oh2RideMore
Beastly Adventurer

Jamie, and the ride

Rode with Jamie down in memphis 3 years ago on a side trip. He showed me some great riding around Memphis, even a tight park road. Out of town, or would join you guys.

The ride has been hot thus far, but there is lots to see. If you are an old bridge fan, you get your share on the ride.
From Melanie Memorial Ride

Old 07-31-2012, 09:51 PM   #6504
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,659
I should be in St Louis tomorrow (Wednesday) around 5 or so, I'd guess. Should I plan to stop? Thought we could get some guys together for dinner, but it doesn't look like (m)any can make it.

I'll be heading out in the morning and checking this thread, or if anyone wants to contact me directly by phone or text, 901-237-1007.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:47 PM   #6505
RAGBrian
jonesing for a ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Z View Post
I should be in St Louis tomorrow (Wednesday) around 5 or so, I'd guess. Should I plan to stop? Thought we could get some guys together for dinner, but it doesn't look like (m)any can make it.

I'll be heading out in the morning and checking this thread, or if anyone wants to contact me directly by phone or text, 901-237-1007.

Jamie
I finally got free from work in Maryland, and my flight was delayed 1-1/2 hours. So did a HUGE number of others flying elsewhere. Something was delaying flights on the East Coast...but I made it home!

Anyhoo, I am up to meeting Jamie (again) and some other local inmates tomorrow night. Call/txt me at 314-seven fifty 7-5133 on my cell and we can work out some details.

I'll be checking in with Jamie later in the morning after I catch some sleep...
Old 08-01-2012, 11:33 AM   #6506
RAGBrian
jonesing for a ride

Just got off the phone with Jamie Z. He's heading southbound in Illinois and is coming to town!

Plan tonight is to meet for dinner starting at 7 pm at

The Triumph Grill - 3419 Olive Street St. Louis, MO 63103 - (314) 446-1801

http://www.triumphgrill.com

Got a least 3 and possibly a 4th inmate coming, so join us if you can. I'll be riding down there early and will wait at the bar for any who show up!

Also will post this in his ride report Big Great Lakes Loop

RAGBrian screwed with this post 08-02-2012 at 10:02 AM Reason: fixed a URL linky
RAGBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 11:21 AM   #6507
RAGBrian
jonesing for a ride

Jamie Z came to town

Here is some pics of the other night's visit with Jamie Z in St. Louis.

We were joined by SteveJonesMO as well, who I found out is the data master for the website www.RideToEat.com. So we all rode to eat someplace, and the Triumph Grill it shall be!

We tried to get our waitress in the picture but she brushed us off. Humph, a new trainee. I warned her we would break her in well!

The room we were in was the artist's room (sorry, forgot to write the details down) where the art is all made from moto parts. I scanned the wall art above while waiting for the other guys. Looking for a speedometer? It's 20 linear feet of old speedos!

Steve and Jamie are also working together on the Tent Space Maps here on ADVRider. They discussed it while we waited for dinner. Jamie also gave us a quick over view of his trip. Looking foward to a RR on his thread for the trip.

After dinner we took a look at the motos in the large events room. The larger Moto Museum was closed at that late hour. I had seen it a few years back - I need to pay another visit to see what's been added and shoot some photos.

This particular bike caught my eye, since I ride a CX. I am aware of the Marusho / Lilac Motorcycles made in Japan (and is possibly the inspiration for the CX engine layout). Imagine my surprise when I saw this:

A 1955 Victoria Bergmeister 350!

Same transverse twin layout like the CX and the Moto Guzzi.

Jamie was impressed with the small collection on display. Dude, come on back up here and we'll see the whole thing, plus the other smaller collections in town! I'll be adding their locations to a separate .gpx file that we will post with the MRT .gpx files (an adjunct to the current project)

After we saw the bikes, Jamie and I headed out to my house for a visit. We said g'bye to Steve and took a quick ride out to mi casa. Jamie met Mrs. RAGBrian and we chatted a bit. With the ride in the valleys around Antire Road and Eureka, Jamie was invigorated to heading back out on the road and getting back home. So we got him replenished on ice water and sent him on a back road route to I-55 and Memphis.

A good time was had, but a few more inmates would have been welcome. Next time!
Old 08-04-2012, 11:26 AM   #6508
RAGBrian
jonesing for a ride

Quote:
Rode with Jamie down in memphis 3 years ago on a side trip. He showed me some great riding around Memphis, even a tight park road. Out of town, or would join you guys.

The ride has been hot thus far, but there is lots to see. If you are an old bridge fan, you get your share on the ride.
We missed you. But, you have a valid excuse, so we'll let it go this time!

Nice pictures of the ride! Just looked over your linky. Are you doing a RR on this?
Old 08-05-2012, 04:39 AM   #6509
MizzouRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAGBrian View Post
Here is some pics of the other night's visit with Jamie Z in St. Louis.
We were joined by SteveJonesMO as well, who I found out is the data master for the website
Jamie was impressed with the small collection on display. Dude, come on back up here and we'll see the whole thing, plus the other smaller collections in town! I'll be adding their locations to a separate .gpx file that we will post with the MRT .gpx files (an adjunct to the current project)

After we saw the bikes, Jamie and I headed out to my house for a visit. We said g'bye to Steve and took a quick ride out to mi casa. Jamie met Mrs. RAGBrian and we chatted a bit. With the ride in the valleys around Antire Road and Eureka, Jamie was invigorated to heading back out on the road and getting back home. So we got him replenished on ice water and sent him on a back road route to I-55 and Memphis.

A good time was had, but a few more inmates would have been welcome. Next time!
Sorry I missed it. I had already made plans with the wife. I couldn't get rescheduled.. Looks like a neat place.
Hope to catch Jamie's RR. I did the Superior loop last summer.
IBA#32778 2008 R1200GSA 2007 G650XChallenge
No man is as good as he ought to be, and few men are as bad as they seem.. (from a early 1900s post card found in Perry, Missouri..)
MizzouRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:10 PM   #6510
Oh2RideMore
Beastly Adventurer

Back in STL

Almost made the ride home last night, but was so tired, grabbed a crappy room in boonsville. At girlfriends dropping off stuff, and noticed clutch cable is halfway frayed through. Ordered another from bike bandit, hoping I make it home. Never had a clutch cable fray before, wondering how common this is and cause.