ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2012, 06:12 AM   #6691
rustynut2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 440
Looks like Pine Hills to me. Wish I didn't go deer hunting and rode instead.

I see Bigdog is still at it, look at him go. Should make for another great ride report.

12 T800XC
09 KLR 650
rustynut2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:48 PM   #6692
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,718
My Missouri Ride

Nobody was able to hook up with me to ride the last few days so I made the best of it alone
and found so many new things----one is worth a day trip to go and find.

Special thanks to Gunslinger1 and Studad for special lodging accommodations.

Klepzig Mill
Built in the early 1900's the mill powered a sawmill and even a generator to provide electricity to a few local farmers.
N37 07.592'
W91 11.927'

This was an awesome find-----and maybe many of you have been there---but it was down a very remote road I was exploring near the Current River and I've never heard of it---or heard of anybody going there------I just ran across it.

Here you can see the waterway that was built to divert the water from Rocky Creek into the Mill.
The guy built a dam to hold the water and had gates to open the water to the mill---most of the dam was gone
but you could still see part of it. This right here made my whole trip worth it. Just this is worth a day ride to find it
and look it over.

The road to and from the Mill was littered with little fun creek crossings.

Rocky Falls
N37 05.602'
W91 12.572'

I found a lot of old bridges on this ride------but this one struck me as very unique.
Half of the top was concrete and half wood-------I've never seen that before in a bridge.

Noblett Lake and Dam
In 2011 vandals opened a valve and drained this lake completely---they were never found.

So now the valve is locked
I found a spring also just downstream of the dam.

I had been riding in a very cold rain for hours and was in a restaurant drinking coffee and met this young man
whose passion was these old motorcycles. We became immediate friends and he asked me if I had time to come and look at his treasures.
I couldn't refuse----Very nice guy whose whole family rode motorcycles. He had Hodakas, Bultaco, Yamahas, Hondas, BSA's
all kinds of old stuff--nothing new.

The Road Less Traveled

KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.

BigDogAdventures screwed with this post 11-21-2012 at 05:55 PM
BigDogAdventures is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:56 PM   #6693
dwthump
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
Pine Hills

The Pine Hills run is great for a quick ride, especially since it's almost winter and it's too cold to start real early.

John: I think that the bubba that yelled at us for riding past the "bridge out" sign was right. I actually looked at the signage as we went down towards the 1st creek crossing this time. Usually we see tons of no trespassing signs on our D/S rides but they tend to define off-limit areas next to the road. There were two "private road" signs so we turned around in the creek. No time to stop for cold ones, started cooling off after 3.

Darren
dwthump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:22 PM   #6694
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwthump View Post
The Pine Hills run is great for a quick ride, especially since it's almost winter and it's too cold to start real early.

John: I think that the bubba that yelled at us for riding past the "bridge out" sign was right. I actually looked at the signage as we went down towards the 1st creek crossing this time. Usually we see tons of no trespassing signs on our D/S rides but they tend to define off-limit areas next to the road. There were two "private road" signs so we turned around in the creek. No time to stop for cold ones, started cooling off after 3.

Darren
Yeh---those people down there want that road for themselves. It's a public county maintained road. I've even had the lady that is down there a lot take a swing at me twice. The last time I went down to that bridge I had my helmet cam on and was going to video her standing in the road with her arms extended blocking the road and have her arrested. I'm fed up with her and him-----one lives on one side of the bridge--the other on the other side. I call her "crazy lady". But nobody was there that time----which is rare-----they seem to camp down there.

And yes it is private as you saw to go around the bridge.

One time the guy was there and I parked my bike and had lunch and a gatorade and stayed for an hour leaning up against a tree just to piss him off----he don't want you down there.
He said "You can't ride in the creek"-------I said "I know that"
He said "The bridge is out"----------I said "I know that"
About as friendly as a rattlesnake.

BigDog
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
Old 11-21-2012, 06:40 PM   #6695
RoadDad
n13ub

Oddometer: 402
Last Road

Mark--Will there be any new places left to ride when i get retired in 419 days?
RoadDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:44 PM   #6696
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadDad View Post
Mark--Will there be any new places left to ride when i get retired in 419 days?
Hey Jerry------------boy I had to laugh when I saw you counting down the days-----------as I did that on the last job I was on. I started counting at 100 days---------boy 419---that's a lot of days----hang in there Jerry.

When me and you are both retired----------the world better look out.

Jerry---"Pull My Finger"
Cowgirl-----"Oh no, I don't think so"

KTM 690 Enduro 2014

BigDogAdventures screwed with this post 11-21-2012 at 06:50 PM
Old 11-21-2012, 07:50 PM   #6697
caver
Missouri The Cave State

Oddometer: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com View Post
Klepzig Mill
Built in the early 1900's the mill powered a sawmill and even a generator to provide electricity to a few local farmers.
Just a few miles from my property. If I had known you could have had a place to camp.
Last time I was at Klepzig I was with girlfriend #37....there were a gazillion tiny tadpoles in the stagnant pools within the granite shut-ins at Kelpzig.
caver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:28 AM   #6698
studad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 796
Hey Bigdog, Noblett lake is just outside my little town. Dd you happen to have a cup of coffee in Willow Springs?

And Holy cow, I like that Terra! It looks like a bike I could need. Next time I hope to be around to look that one over!
studad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:29 AM   #6699
rustynut2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 440
I see Bigdog brought out the new big bike, thought he was retiring to those sample bikes. Nice Pics

I'll have to go back down to Pine Hills and check out the signage, might just stay a while. Perhaps come in from the backside this time. Think I'll wait till hunting season is over, don't need any stray shots my way.

12 T800XC
09 KLR 650
rustynut2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:34 AM   #6700
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Quote:
Originally Posted by studad View Post
Hey Bigdog, Noblett lake is just outside my little town. Dd you happen to have a cup of coffee in Willow Springs?

And Holy cow, I like that Terra! It looks like a bike I could need. Next time I hope to be around to look that one over!
Yes--------I had coffee in Willow Springs and that's where I ran into that young guy that had the old bikes. He was a hoot--do you know him ???

BigDog
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
Old 11-22-2012, 07:51 AM   #6701
toondebt11
ADVRIDERKEVIN

Oddometer: 332
Spring ride?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustynut2 View Post
I see Bigdog brought out the new big bike, thought he was retiring to those sample bikes. Nice Pics

I'll have to go back down to Pine Hills and check out the signage, might just stay a while. Perhaps come in from the backside this time. Think I'll wait till hunting season is over, don't need any stray shots my way.

I think this calls for a LARGE group ride and campout next spring
I B A # 42258
toondebt11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:02 PM   #6702
dirtyleg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Question bigdog adventures

how do you like the Husky
Old 11-24-2012, 05:37 PM   #6703
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyleg View Post
how do you like the Husky
The Husky has been a good purchase---------I've got about 2,500 miles on it---enough to know I like it.
I'll leave most of my long rides on real tough terrain to my WR250R-----but the Husky excels at easy offroad and the pavement.

I actually thought it to replace me 950 and KLR and have them for sale------but don't really care if i sell them or not.
I'm really attached to my KLR-----------lot's of people make fun of them-------but I find that a bike that has been made for 25 years with virtually no changes is not what most people would call outdated-----------I'd call it a very good bike.

BigDong
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
Old 11-24-2012, 06:04 PM   #6704
Toadady
Push'n parts

Oddometer: 3,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by studad View Post

holy sheet bat man, I'm in Mountain View
Old 11-24-2012, 07:38 PM   #6705
Valimagdon
Scooter Boy

Oddometer: 52
Today I rode from St. Louis, down hwy 67, then hwy 21. After that, went through Ellington, Winona, Mountain View, West Plains, Caulfield, and am now in Mountain Home, AR. I'm here for my grandfather's memorial service. I'm headed home tomorrow. Anything in particular to see, or roads to ride on my way home?
--HC
Valimagdon is offline   Reply With Quote