ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2012, 04:34 PM   #6841
Hazman27
The Haz

Oddometer: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by NesquikNinja View Post
That looks like a blast!

Im in the area, been riding for only 2 years, never ventured off the pavement. Decided to start small on my first dual sport and went with a CRF250l. Id love to make it to a group ride if you fellas wouldnt mind a youngster on a tiny bike joining in.
Rode with a WR250, It hung with the big bikes for over 300 hundred miles.
Hazman27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:37 PM   #6842
DCR
Dave

Oddometer: 17
Shawnee DS ride

I went out for ride yesterday and found some great trails to explore in shawnee national forest. The location for the trail above should be
N 37 29.539 W088 53.306 in case anybody wants to go check it out and there are several others in close proximity. All the roads that lead up to it are great as well. Some gravel and some paved twisties.
DCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:38 PM   #6843
Oh2RideMore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,274
small bike fun

Quote:
Decided to start small on my first dual sport and went with a CRF250l.
Welcome to advrider. I rode the wr250, and small bikes are very capable. The best thing going for them is light weight, easier to handle in the rough stuff and lighter if you drop em. Over 12k on my bike now, and never regretted the 250 bike. See bigdogadventures.com for his travels all over on a 250.

Just pay attention to this forum for ride postings, and be ready to go. Buy a gps and learn to read tracks(gpx files), so you won't get lost, and have to depend or wait on others.

That crf250L is looking to be a good bike. Bring it to the next get together.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:47 PM   #6844
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCR View Post
N 37 29.539 W088 53.306 in case anybody wants to go check it out and there are several others in close proximity. All the roads that lead up to it are great as well. Some gravel and some paved twisties.
Ah yes----right on the River To River Trail--------------did you follow it all the way East to the lake and railroad tressel.

The lake is called "No Name Lake" and is along the old railroad bed which is the "Tunnel Hill Bicycle Trail" now.

BigDog
2013 Husky 650 TR650 Terra
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:23 PM   #6845
DCR
Dave

Oddometer: 17
Shawnee national forest ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com View Post
Ah yes----right on the River To River Trail--------------did you follow it all the way East to the lake and railroad tressel.

The lake is called "No Name Lake" and is along the old railroad bed which is the "Tunnel Hill Bicycle Trail" now.

BigDog
Negative I didn’t follow it that far. As soon as I came to the clearing along the power lines the bottoms were flooded enough that I didn’t want to risk getting stuck riding solo. I am ready to go back down there and try again sometime hopefully soon. I wont lie the thought of following the power lines crossed my mind. I bet there are some good trails you could easily jump in and out of going that route. I believe I’m still exploring Shawnee using one of your old GPX files. Thanks
DCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:13 AM   #6846
NesquikNinja
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh2RideMore View Post
Welcome to advrider. I rode the wr250, and small bikes are very capable. The best thing going for them is light weight, easier to handle in the rough stuff and lighter if you drop em. Over 12k on my bike now, and never regretted the 250 bike. See bigdogadventures.com for his travels all over on a 250.

Just pay attention to this forum for ride postings, and be ready to go. Buy a gps and learn to read tracks(gpx files), so you won't get lost, and have to depend or wait on others.

That crf250L is looking to be a good bike. Bring it to the next get together.
Thanks for the tip! It may be a while before I am able to make it, though. Need crash protection for myself (replacing leathers) and the new bike so a GPS is a long way off and I dont want to end up lost in the middle of nowhere
NesquikNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:02 PM   #6847
2degreesout
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 867
Quote:

BigDog
Mark, have you ridden the Tunnel Hill trail? I was going to ride it a couple years back and then I bought a DRZ and quit riding bicycle as much. Looks scenic?
Old 12-18-2012, 04:25 PM   #6848
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2degreesout View Post
Mark, have you ridden the Tunnel Hill trail? I was going to ride it a couple years back and then I bought a DRZ and quit riding bicycle as much. Looks scenic?

Yes I did 2degrees.

I rode it twice this year--the whole length of it and I think it was 47 miles.
I did it alone the first time---the 2nd time I went with friends and we camped at "No Name Lake" right below the tressel.
We'd never camped off our bicycles before and it was a trial run.
We are riding the whole Katy trail in Missouri this spring-------------270 miles.

The Tunnel Hill trail is an extremely beautiful ride the whole way----running right thru the middle of the forest all the time. Places to rest, pee and eat on the way. Maybe I'm telling you stuff you already know ???
Both times I had somebody waiting for me at the end to pick me up.
I think we had cell service on the whole thing.

I use to ride my dirt bike up and down that railroad bed back in the day--------70's on 2-stroke Bultaco's.
Dang-----------I'm older than I thought 11111

BigDog
2013 Husky 650 TR650 Terra
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:08 PM   #6849
Teep
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
Quote:
Yes I did 2degrees.

I did it alone the first time---the 2nd time I went with friends and we camped at "No Name Lake" right below the tressel.
We are riding the whole Katy trail in Missouri this spring-------------270 miles.

The Tunnel Hill trail is an extremely beautiful ride the whole way----running right thru the middle of the forest all the time. Places to rest, pee and eat on the way. Maybe I'm telling you stuff you already know ???

I use to ride my dirt bike up and down that railroad bed back in the day--------70's on 2-stroke Bultaco's.

BigDog
Mark, you must sigzag a lot. The KATY is only 230 miles long. Let me know when you plan the ride and I'll try and ride some with you.

Garry
Teep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:25 PM   #6850
dwthump
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
Bicycle Touring

Big Dog,

I was a long distance touring cyclist before knee problems. I have been all over the Shawnee on cycling tours over the years. My longest was 9 days throughout the Shawnee, 500 miles, with a buddy of mine now deceased, ahh youth... It's a little different when you need to carry everything on your bike, camping gear, etc., about 40#. I found some out of the way campsites that are still available today. Sometimes we would have to stock up on food, etc., to make it to the next town for provisions. Lots of Dinty Moore stew on the grill.

Darren

*It's a KLR, I'll catch up*
dwthump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:55 AM   #6851
CamelBill
Ride It!

Oddometer: 499
Mountain Biking

It's great to see all the people that understand how well mountain biking and dirt biking complement each other. I think both hone skills that make you better at the other . . .not to mention how much the fitness you gain on a MB helps you in the durt. Heading out for a night ride tonight at Lost Valley. I guess global warming does have its benefits
CO Single Track RR http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post24875020
CamelBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:54 PM   #6852
2degreesout
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 867
Quote:
Yes I did 2degrees.

BigDog
Thanks for the info Mark. I definitely want to ride it now, any takers...Bill, Don, Gary (you can ride it twice), Dale?
Old 12-19-2012, 06:18 PM   #6853
caver
Missouri The Cave State

Oddometer: 687
Southern IL:

I see the Bald Knob cross will be re-lit again on Saturday.
caver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:40 PM   #6854
dmac431
Boots

Oddometer: 46
Nice Ulee!

Nice Ulee. Really wanted one for awhile. Road one and handled awesome in the tight corners .I'm from Mexico too, hope to hook up soon.

Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkforbes87 View Post
Hey guys! Figured I'd drop in and say hi. I'm located in Mexico, MO and hope to have my name on the title of a new-to-me '04 DRZ400S tomorrow.

I started riding streetbikes about 5 years ago. Learned on a 2007 Buell Blast, then quickly upgraded to a 2000 X1 Lightning. I've been trying to trade my 2002 X1 off for a dual sport for a while now, ended up posting it here on ADV a few days ago. If all goes well, I'll swap bikes with a member from Illinois tomorrow. I also own a 2009 Buell XB12XT Ulysses which I'll be keeping around. She's a great adventure touring bike and loads of fun in the twisties, kind of a pig off road though - lots of work for my 5'8" 140lb frame to throw around.

Anyone in the Mexico area? I'd love to get hooked up with some like-minded hooligans and kick my dirt experience off right!

Pics of my '02 X1 and '09 XT:
(ignore the OK plates - I recently moved)

dmac431 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:55 PM   #6855
Grafspee
one bike is never enough

Oddometer: 207
Quote:
Yes I did 2degrees.

BigDog
I did that ride with Mark earlier this year and we had a blast. We woke up the next morning, after a great night camping at No Name Lake, to rain and none of us were prepared for rain. Nope not at all, no rain gear - nothing! That's the first time I have ever traveled with Mark where we stayed in our tents until almost 9 am. If you have ever ridden with Mark - you know he has to be up early and on the rode. That was our first try at bicycle touring, but won't be the last! Hey Mark what's your opinion on bicycling the Natchez Trace?
Grafspee is offline   Reply With Quote