ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2013, 08:10 AM   #7336
shortbritches
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Would that be the Muddobbers dual sport?Looks like a good time.Keep Layton under control.
shortbritches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:28 AM   #7337
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbritches View Post
Would that be the Muddobbers dual sport?Looks like a good time.Keep Layton under control.
yep
Old 06-28-2013, 06:23 PM   #7338
brad1098
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 748
You ever notice how much these old retired guys just piss you off because they are having too much fun riding.
brad1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:51 PM   #7339
Oh2RideMore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,264
thinking the same thing

Damn old retired folk, having the time of their lives just riding without a schedule. Waiting for BigDog to chime in any moment. ;) Got two weeks coming begining of sept, and gonna ride somewhere fun on the wr250r. Couple inmates thinking of riding colorado passes and high country, may join em. Looking for ideas. What you got for fun early september rides?
Old 06-29-2013, 03:29 AM   #7340
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh2RideMore View Post
Damn old retired folk, having the time of their lives just riding without a schedule. Waiting for BigDog to chime in any moment. ;) Got two weeks coming begining of sept, and gonna ride somewhere fun on the wr250r. Couple inmates thinking of riding colorado passes and high country, may join em. Looking for ideas. What you got for fun early september rides?
Well----I've got a minute-----it's 5Am and got to get riding

But---here's a very good ride idea for a fella having a couple weeks vacation----or if you have one week you could to half of this.

The Colorado and Utah backcountry discovery routes are both available this year-----the Colorado one just got finished over the winter I think. The gps downloads for these are free on the net.
I may tie them together myself later this year.
I've went over the routes thoroughly and they are awesome----over the years I've ridden most every mile of these routes----but not tied them together and ridden it at once.

The Colorado one gets on the TAT and the CDR for just a bit--but just a short bit.

Also---there are maps available----I have them---do not depend on them for navigation-----it won't work----but they are nice to look at for an overall view and it show exactly where you can by-pass some of the harder sections---the gps file has these by-passes also.

I'd prefer something in a 650 or smaller for these routes---a lot smaller actually---but the promoters prefer the "Long Way Around" approach.

But here's a link to the info---the gps tracks are in there somewhere if you poke around.

BackCountryDiscoverRoutes
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 03:41 AM   #7341
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Hats Off to MizzouRider

My hats off to Jeff (MissouRider).

Looking at his spotwalla page------------I have deducted that he left Fairbanks Alaska at 4AM yesterday morning and about 24 hours later I found his spot-tracker showing him just a few miles North of Fairbanks.
I'm talking 1,000 miles on the Dalton highway from Fairbanks all the way to Prudhoe Bay (Deadhorse) and back in one sitting.

I just can't imagine anyone doing that---be he did.
I think he deserves a standing ovation.

I was really worried when I saw where he was this morning as I was afraid he might have fell asleep or crashed since Fairbanks was so close and he didn't get there----------but google earth shows him at a little pull off for trucks on the Dalton highway. I bet he's sleeping on his bike. Un-frickin' believable---the man's an animal.

It does't get dark up there this time of year---so he just kept riding.
This same trip took me and Dingweeds 2 and 1/2 days. But we were smelling roses, mud--------and bear shit.
And we were old and retired !!!!
Maybe he didn't want to camp amongst the bears or pay the $300 motel fees up there. We camped out 2 nights when we did this.

Awesome Jeff !!!!! Can't wait to hear your story !!!!
KTM 690 Enduro 2014

BigDogAdventures screwed with this post 06-29-2013 at 03:50 AM
Old 06-29-2013, 04:47 PM   #7342
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,310
Quote:
Well...........being old and retired I'm riding the Blue Ridge trail for a week or so in September, then the PHBR.
Old 06-29-2013, 05:27 PM   #7343
spidermann
nutcase

Oddometer: 139
[QUOTE=
Also---there are maps available----I have them---do not depend on them for navigation-----it won't work----but they are nice to look at for an overall view and it show exactly where you can by-pass some of the harder sections---the gps file has these by-passes also.
[/QUOTE]

I can verify this. I did the Utah route in early June and didn't have the GPS tracks. There's no way you can figure it all out just with the maps. We had 4 sets of maps and just couldn't figure it out. Tracks are the only way.
82 Rokon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uS2ljnErAjI
spidermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:34 PM   #7344
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidermann View Post
I can verify this. I did the Utah route in early June and didn't have the GPS tracks. There's no way you can figure it all out just with the maps. We had 4 sets of maps and just couldn't figure it out. Tracks are the only way.

Out of curiosity------How was the temps when you did it Spiderman--------I probably won't go until at least September.

BigDog
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
Old 06-30-2013, 12:37 PM   #7345
spidermann
nutcase

Oddometer: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com View Post
Out of curiosity------How was the temps when you did it Spiderman--------I probably won't go until at least September.

BigDog
We happened to hit a very good stretch of weather. It wasn't too hot, even around Moab. We were going from south to north and gave up trying to follow the Butler maps somewhere around Fruitland. Then we just winged it from there. The camping was outstanding. It sure isn't hard to find a place to bushwhack camp out there. Sometimes just a challenge to find some firewood though.
82 Rokon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uS2ljnErAjI
spidermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:28 AM   #7346
ezrdr55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com View Post

BigDog
Dog,

FWIW- I did the UTBDR in early September last year. I rode the Wee solo and the temperature ranged from103 in Nebraska to 23 one morning in the high country of Utah. Most days on the UTBDR it would be 50's in the morning and 80's in the afternoon. I think one day it hit 90. I've ridden CO a lot and wanted to try something new. The UTBDR has me hooked on these BDR's so this September I'm doing the WABDR.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:52 PM   #7347
Oh2RideMore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,264
Going to take Mark's advice and do both the utbdr and cobdr back to back beginning of September. Routes look great, and am planning on riding the wr out with another inmate. Thanks for the suggestion Mark! Now if only September would get here soon.

sent from my perfectly sized do it all galaxy note
Old 07-01-2013, 01:03 PM   #7348
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Quote:
Going to take Mark's advice and do both the utbdr and cobdr back to back beginning of September. Routes look great, and am planning on riding the wr out with another inmate. Thanks for the suggestion Mark! Now if only September would get here soon.

sent from my perfectly sized do it all galaxy note
Awesome-----you are the man
That will make an awesome memorable ride.
I've been working today on a route tying them together on the Northern end---I'll see what I come up with.
The Southern end will be easy as they are pretty close.

Dockingpilot is going to do the same thing this year-------don't know when though.
Them guys usually ship their bikes out---then fly out and back. They've been doing that for years----but then they don't have WR's

BigDog
KTM 690 Enduro 2014

BigDogAdventures screwed with this post 07-01-2013 at 01:52 PM
Old 07-01-2013, 01:32 PM   #7349
this is a RV
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 344
I will be on the cobdr July 28th - Aug. 1. Back to work on Aug. 6
this is a RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:26 PM   #7350
Hazman27
The Haz

Oddometer: 514
Vintage Bike Night

FYI: Schlafly Bottleworks is having a "Vintage Bike Night" from 6:00 pm to ? Rain or shine. 7260 Southwest Ave. St. Louis, MO.
Hazman27 is offline   Reply With Quote