ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2013, 09:48 AM   #7486
lfs225
Can Am Rider

Oddometer: 307
Schofield is

loose rocks. Biggin's. On a hard base. Shear side walls and a tricky water crossing. Other than that.......it's not fun.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:29 AM   #7487
CamelBill
Ride It!

Oddometer: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanur View Post
WOW!!! Those are best videos I have ever saw of Black Bear. I want to ride it sooooooooooooo bad but the weenies I have been to Ouray with won't do it.

I've rode most everything around there except Black Bear, hopefully next trip.

Respect for doing it on the 950 I think I'll take the 690.
Thanks for the kind words. Black Bear definitely demands respect, but it is very doable, The 690 is the probably the best choice, although I have camera video of my buddy BobDan going down it on his 690, and he hits the ground fast, tumbling towards the outside edge. It is a good thing he never let go of the 690 with his left (outside) hand, as it was the only thing that anchored him from going over the 1000 ft cliff! (NOT KIDDING!)
CO Single Track RR http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post24875020
CamelBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:34 PM   #7488
Cumminsman76
befuddled

Oddometer: 8,506
Who drives the black dodge with the ADV sticker and KTM hitch plug. That was me that waved.

Save $5 on Smugmug "1alkVgTNLEuyQ"
Cumminsman76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:10 AM   #7489
MizzouRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamelBill View Post
I have camera video of my buddy BobDan going down it on his 690, and he hits the ground fast, tumbling towards the outside edge. It is a good thing he never let go of the 690 with his left (outside) hand, as it was the only thing that anchored him from going over the 1000 ft cliff! (NOT KIDDING!)
Ok, right there.. The 1,000 ft part.
If you go over Schofield, there's a river down below. I think I can swim better than I can fly..
Seriously, Schofield didn't bother me, but maybe it was because we didn't have time to think about it.

The Wans, two up, going the uphill (by far more difficult) way, at night. They are WAY out of my league..
IBA#32778 2008 R1200GSA 2007 G650XChallenge
No man is as good as he ought to be, and few men are as bad as they seem.. (from a early 1900s post card found in Perry, Missouri..)
MizzouRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:13 AM   #7490
caver
Missouri The Cave State

Oddometer: 687
I did Schofield down and back (solo)on a Yamaha XT350. 2002 per my pictures, same year a guy Bill, from the RV park I was staying in, introduced me to Black Bear. He suggested we walk the bikes down the stairs. A couple years later I did it solo and thought eeehhh I can ride this. Dropped off one of the stairs, shocks compress, I must have bumped the front brake lever......laid it over. :(
Schofield was rough. I went down to see the old mill. I took some years off my clutch getting back up.......big baby head boulders. I was camped between there and Crusty Butt so I had to return. There was a family on Schofield riding four wheelers...I asked them if they wanted to trade.
I must be getting older. Back in late april I was attempting to ride up to the old salt tram north of Owens Lake. Woosed out/trail kicked my ass. Had to ease the bike down from a stair step for about 80' before I had a wide enough spot to turn it around safely. I enjoy riding solo but days like that I should have had a buddy along.
caver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:19 PM   #7491
dogmoon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
Black Bear

Quote:
ProDirtDale, Sieg and a local friend from Salida inmate BobDan & I just got back from a great week of riding the Rockies. Over 1000 miles, 80-85% offroad. What a hoot! We took the big bikes some places they just didn't belong. Hopefully I'll get around to a ride report sometime, but here is a few teaser videos from the infamous Black Bear, available in HD if you so choose. Part 3 is the best if you only have time for one right now. Unedited - Sorry, I'm computer challenged, but still learning - Tips appreciated. Enjoy!

http://youtu.be/5QGO-KE5BYA Part 1 -above the steps

http://youtu.be/2LEyO3lHcv0 Part 2 - The Steps

http://youtu.be/qQ1tOi83y34 Part 3 - Below the steps
Thanks Bill for the great footage of Black Bear Pass!
Old 08-27-2013, 10:26 PM   #7492
Oh2RideMore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,274
One week left

Doing a loop of COBDR and UTBDR with another inmate next Wednesday. Trailering out past the boring bits, then riding starting in buena vista. Bike is prepped with 4.7 gallon tank, new 606s, all maintenance, and a new seat. Should be a great time. Looks like Utah is having flash flood issues right now, hope to avoid that in the washes.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:31 AM   #7493
MizzouRider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh2RideMore View Post
Doing a loop of COBDR and UTBDR with another inmate next Wednesday. Trailering out past the boring bits, then riding starting in buena vista. Bike is prepped with 4.7 gallon tank, new 606s, all maintenance, and a new seat. Should be a great time. Looks like Utah is having flash flood issues right now, hope to avoid that in the washes.
Sounds like a great trip! Ride safe, have fun!
No man is as good as he ought to be, and few men are as bad as they seem.. (from a early 1900s post card found in Perry, Missouri..)
Old 08-28-2013, 05:34 AM   #7494
MizzouRider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by caver View Post
I did Schofield down and back (solo)on a Yamaha XT350. 2002 per my pictures, same year a guy Bill, from the RV park I was staying in, introduced me to Black Bear. He suggested we walk the bikes down the stairs. A couple years later I did it solo and thought eeehhh I can ride this. Dropped off one of the stairs, shocks compress, I must have bumped the front brake lever......laid it over. :(
Schofield was rough. I went down to see the old mill. I took some years off my clutch getting back up.......big baby head boulders. I was camped between there and Crusty Butt so I had to return. There was a family on Schofield riding four wheelers...I asked them if they wanted to trade.
I must be getting older. Back in late april I was attempting to ride up to the old salt tram north of Owens Lake. Woosed out/trail kicked my ass. Had to ease the bike down from a stair step for about 80' before I had a wide enough spot to turn it around safely. I enjoy riding solo but days like that I should have had a buddy along.
Ever ride Pearl Pass over to Aspen? I went over in my Tacoma a few years ago. Didn't realize how difficult it would be. Told the wife, we'll be over there for lunch, then come back.. Took us until dinner time to get there, no way would I drive it again.. Went all the way down to Keebler Pass to return. Very, very long day.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:07 PM   #7495
caver
Missouri The Cave State

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRider View Post
Ever ride Pearl Pass over to Aspen?
I tried to and aborted. I still had the XT and the jetting was not set up for Colorado. It was running rough and baby head boulders again. I think I was a quarter mile?? from the summit.
Beautiful state but I think I got burnt out on it. I get burnt out on an area and move to another state the next year. Preferably one that is more remote than the last.
Old 09-01-2013, 01:22 AM   #7496
Curiousteve
Curiousteve

Oddometer: 50
Quote:
ProDirtDale, Sieg and a local friend from Salida inmate BobDan & I just got back from a great week of riding the Rockies. Over 1000 miles, 80-85% offroad. What a hoot! We took the big bikes some places they just didn't belong. Hopefully I'll get around to a ride report sometime, but here is a few teaser videos from the infamous Black Bear, available in HD if you so choose. Part 3 is the best if you only have time for one right now. Unedited - Sorry, I'm computer challenged, but still learning - Tips appreciated. Enjoy!

http://youtu.be/5QGO-KE5BYA Part 1 -above the steps

http://youtu.be/2LEyO3lHcv0 Part 2 - The Steps

http://youtu.be/qQ1tOi83y34 Part 3 - Below the steps
Enjoyed watching... thanks for the memories! Explored the area in the "old days" on a '96 DR350 and a '99. Never did the entire Black Bear though... those steps spooked me out! It was great to watch it being done on video...THANK YOU!
Curiousteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 04:09 PM   #7497
caver
Missouri The Cave State

Any suggestions on Arkansas Ozarks places to ride last week of October? I want to take a week off and enjoy the fall colors. I thought about doing parts of the TART. Will have camper in tow so would have to do loop rides. Looking at old junk and scenery is what I'm after. I've done the AR TAT but would like to go back to the area around Oark. My morning though there the fog was bad and I missed all the scenic overlooks I see in others photos.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:50 AM   #7498
kanur
cu new er

Oddometer: 691
Jasper is a nice area to base out of. Good food, roads and trails.

Here is a pic of Mrs' crossing the Buffalo River, when the water is up this is the put in for the Hailstone white water section. This is one of the longer more difficult quad/jeep trails she has rode her 650 on and she did great.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:04 AM   #7499
dwthump
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
Northern Arkansas

Harrison is in a cool area for riding and there are about 6 "loop" rides that the town promotes. Do a google search for "Harrison, AR motorcycle rides" and you will find the info. You can mail off for the shiny pamphlets or just print the loop rides off of the website. I did two of the loops, Peel's Ferry, (crosses Bull Shoals lake), and Jasper to Eureka Springs. Excellent riding and beautiful scenery!

Darren

*It's a KLR, I'll catch up*
dwthump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:19 AM   #7500
lfs225
Can Am Rider

Oddometer: 307
N.W. Arkansas

You just can't go wrong in Northwest Arkansas. The average roads are GREAT and the good roads are "over the top" EXCELLENT.

lfs225 screwed with this post 09-04-2013 at 08:20 AM Reason: misspell
lfs225 is offline   Reply With Quote