ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2014, 04:54 AM   #7816
Teep
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
I had a Wee a few bikes ago and managed to put a nasty dent in the oil filter on Lost Creek Road. The Wee is a great riding bike but just too top heavy for an old man. I really like the fuel tank under the seat on the F650 but miss the smooth engine of the Wee.
Teep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 05:03 AM   #7817
Curiousteve
Curiousteve

Oddometer: 49
I know what you mean about top-heavy… That big tank sure is nice for road trips, but it puts a lot of weight up high and forward when it's full... Just what you don't want when riding loose sand and silt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Curiousteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 05:06 AM   #7818
MizzouRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curiousteve View Post
Just got back from Texas yesterday after a two-week trip with BigDog. He picked me up at my place and we trailered his 650 Husky and my 650 Wee (big mistake taking that bike) to the hill country and rode 2,000 miles, camping along the way in Big Bend National Park, Big Bend Ranch State Park, Davis Mountains State Park and along the Colorado River at Barefoot camp ground. A fabulous trip, and I know BigDog will have one of his superb ride reports, so this is just a short teaser.

But it was COLD at night and on several of our ride days! We were prepared though, with mummy sleeping bags and heated riding gear. Temps ranged from 80s to 30s during the days and 50s to a low of 24 at night. Here we are in front of our campsite at Big Bend National Park.

Here's why it was the wrong bike to bring. (Advice: never try to follow BigDog on an extended off-road adventure on a Wee loaded with camping gear and shod with street-biased tires!) This shot was taken at Big Bend National Park in an ancient sea bed of sand, silt and river gravel.

We saw fabulous country, historic landmarks and amazing sunrises and sunsets. We mingled with dozens of friendly Texans and some not so friendly deer and javelina. We rode hundreds of miles on desolate gravel ranch roads in the warm Texas sun, as well as some long, scenic highways in near-freezing temps. This was a typical sunrise. Sunsets were even more spectacular.

I'll will be posting a video of the entire trip soon, and waiting for BigDog's complete ride report! Hope he doesn't take too long... he took a zillion pix. Catch ya later, "pardners."
I love riding down there. Too much fun. Did you guys ride up Godzilla in the State Park? That would have been an accomplishment on the Wee. Hope you hit the Starlight restaurant in Terlingua, and the "cave" I think it's called. Some very cool places. I think the sticker they sell at the state park office says something like, "Big Bend, the other side of nowhere"
February is the time to go. But I've been snowed on, and cooked (90+) then.. Looking forward to your video. Some great memories from down there..
IBA#32778 2008 R1200GSA 2007 G650XChallenge
No man is as good as he ought to be, and few men are as bad as they seem.. (from a early 1900s post card found in Perry, Missouri..)
MizzouRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 05:53 AM   #7819
Teep
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
[QUOTE=Curiousteve;23641543][QUOTE=Teep;23640141]

Did you ride down there in February?... if so you are Hoss!!! We unloaded just south of Dallas. When we got home the temps were in the 20s and we drove in ice from northern Texas and deep snow through Arkansas for a hundred miles. We were glad to be in BigDog's van.

I went the end of March first of April. I had temperatures from 40 to 100. Managed to ride through the storm that produced the tornado at Dallas, just builds character they tell me but I just get wet. I would like to go and ride the Hill Country some time.
Teep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 06:20 AM   #7820
spidermann
nutcase

Oddometer: 140
Quote:
I see you have a well-stocked stable... which machine were you on? Sorry we missed you.
I was on the Terra, it's first real ride off pavement. I was impressed with how well it did. I also had some friends with me - 2 KLRs, a DRZ, an XR and a Wee. The Wee didn't do the harder sections including Old Ore Road.With the exception of 1 cool drizzly morning our weather was outstanding. We did the river road on the cool day.
82 Rokon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uS2ljnErAjI
spidermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 06:32 AM   #7821
spidermann
nutcase

[QUOTE=Curiousteve;23641543]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teep View Post

Did you ride down there in February?... if so you are Hoss!!! We unloaded just south of Dallas. When we got home the temps were in the 20s and we drove in ice from northern Texas and deep snow through Arkansas for a hundred miles. We were glad to be in BigDog's van.

Yeah, I have some new scratches. I bought my Wee the year they came out and never intended to ride anything like the Ore Road on it. It's got 32,000 blissful miles, with probably 1/4 of those on gravel, with no problems, no dragging, no crashes until the Old Ore Road. I don't have a center stand or a skid plate, which probably reduce ground clearance, but, like you, I was bouncing off rocks on the Ore Road and wishing for a skid plate... I was very lucky. When I decided to bring the Wee I had no idea we would be on anything more difficult than Texas farm roads, which a Wee handles with ease. (I have a home-made fender extender which keeps small rocks from hitting the underside.)
We trailered down from Illinois to Study Butte. Went straight through pulling behind a full size van with captain chairs and a bed in the back. It was a very comfortable ride. The Wee with us is a former Iron Butt type rig with gobs of miles on her. Complete with center stand but no skid plate, it's a tank but the rider did a great job with her. We camped at a commercial place in Study Butte because they had a shower. (and we had a couple of female with us) This was my first trip to Big Bend but the others had been there before. I'd like to go back again next year because we didn't see much of the State Park area. We came home a little early because of the bad weather in the midwest. Didn't want to drive through 300 miles of ice with that rig. :)
82 Rokon
Old 03-08-2014, 09:20 AM   #7822
caver
Missouri The Cave State

Oddometer: 648
Back in 96-97? I was out that way from southeast MO in my truck staying in motels. One of my caving buds said "you have to visit Caverns of Sonora". This was the week leading up to Thanksgiving. My final destination was Carlsbad Caverns to work with a caver group there over the holiday weekend. Anyway, I took both tours and it had started snowing between tours. Came out of the second tour and there was probably 4" of wet snow on the ground. The young guide, who was local, had only seen snow one other time.
It was a slippery mess until I got to around Ft Stockton. I grew up in west central IL and was used to driving in snow....the locals weren't.
The lodge in Big Bend NP had no TV. I was reading travel brochures for entertainment.
Old 03-08-2014, 05:38 PM   #7823
Curiousteve
Curiousteve

Spiderman, I like the Terra! I was very impressed with BigDog's... I've ridden with him on it a couple of other times . He has a huge tank on it now which makes the Wee's range look puny by comparison.

MizzouRider, Although we rode challenging roads in the national park, we stayed on the main road at Big Bend State Park, except for a 1/2 mile jaunt to our campground and our run up to Marfa when we took the dirt route. The park rangers told us "it was easy", but they were not motorcyclists-- there were numerous sand/silt areas and miles and miles of stutter bumps-- not a good place to take a Wee and I was not a happy boy that day.

We didn't stop at Terlingua-- I had been there twice before, and I think BigDog had too-- and the day was getting short. I was pooped from riding the River Road and crashing two or three times in the sand sections, and we didn't want to ride the road to Presidio in the dark-- that's got to be one of the great motorcycle roads in the country and it was my first time on it. Now that's where the Wee shined!

Teep, it sounds like late March would have been warmer for us, but 100+ degrees doesn't sound like much fun either and you got into bad weather on your way home, too? I guess with these crazy weather patterns it's really a crap shoot... oh well, it's all part of the adventure!
Old 03-09-2014, 06:20 AM   #7824
yard dog
cheap but not free

Oddometer: 226
I went last year. Never saw another bike off of the pavement the whole week I was there. The border patrol came by while I was fixing this flat on the River Road about 50 miles West of Rio Grand Village. I had a great time and the only incident all week was this flat. I spent the next week in the Hill Country where I tried to drown the KLR crossing the James River. That is the slickest crossing EVER. I didn't find Willie in Luchenbach either Ken

yard dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 06:42 AM   #7825
spidermann
nutcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by yard dog View Post
I went last year. Never saw another bike off of the pavement the whole week I was there. The border patrol came by while I was fixing this flat on the River Road about 50 miles West of Rio Grand Village. I had a great time and the only incident all week was this flat. I spent the next week in the Hill Country where I tried to drown the KLR crossing the James River. That is the slickest crossing EVER. I didn't find Willie in Luchenbach either Ken

When were you there? I'm surprised you didn't see other dual sports. I saw a lot of bikes with Illinois plates when we were there.
82 Rokon
Old 03-09-2014, 07:00 AM   #7826
Curiousteve
Curiousteve

Missouri Adventure Riders Thread

The James River… Oh my… Are you talking about that half-mile wide crossing? When I saw that expanse of water my blood turned cold. Maybe it wasn't a half-mile wide maybe it was only a quarter-mile why, but I don't care, there was no way I was going to attempt that on my Porky Wee with street tires! If you have a picture of that crossing I wish you would share it… I took several with my good camera and then lost it later that day… Major bummer for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-09-2014, 03:57 PM   #7827
Curiousteve
Curiousteve

Folks, here's the video I promised of BigDog and my ride to the Texas hill country, Big Bend National Park, Presidio, Marfa and the Davis Mountains. This is the first chapter, and it will probably take two more chapters to tell the entire story.

Curiousteve

Old 03-10-2014, 04:59 AM   #7828
yard dog
cheap but not free

Oddometer: 226
Wicked

Yep the James River is probably a quarter mile of slick granite. I made it but it was ugly. I'll dig up a couple of pictures later this week. I was in the hill country the week of the Dallas tornado so I was in Big Bend the prior week. I saw lots of bikes. They were all spotless and in the couple of thousand miles I rode in Big Bend and the Hill Country I saw exactly 1 bike off the pavement. Go figure it was a Harley going about 5 MPH and he was about 1/2 mile from the James River crossing. I'm betting he turned around when he saw it Ken
yard dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:50 AM   #7829
lfs225
Can Am Rider

Oddometer: 278
Quote:
Folks, here's the video I promised of BigDog and my ride to the Texas hill country, Big Bend National Park, Presidio, Marfa and the Davis Mountains. This is the first chapter, and it will probably take two more chapters to tell the entire story.
Nice Video. Great job!
AMA #033031A Charter Life Member
lfs225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:01 AM   #7830
Curiousteve
Curiousteve

Thanks

Thanks, Larry. Kind of boring compared to what's coming up though. Wait 'til you see the places we took that naked VStrom!... considerably tougher than the swinging bridges and Ark TAT rides you took me on!