ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2014, 09:04 AM   #8131
PB gadget
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRider View Post
I'm curious, I thought the COBDR was laid out by guys on 990s and big GSs. Did you, or would you consider taking your 800 GS? I am thinking of going out in early Sept on a GSA..

If you are an accomplished rider I'm sure the larger bike would be fine, but based on what we experienced this is what I have to say.

There were many sections of the BDR that the 800 GS would have been a blast, but there were also several sections, mixed in with a little rain, made for some difficult travel. In particular, a few sections of mud that we had to stop to clear mud from tires, forks, springs or risk burning out our clutch. It was the larger bikes that went down many times in these sections. I only saw 4-6 larger bikes on the passes. At one point, there were at least 25-30 KTM's parked at the top of Cork Screw summit. KTM was by far the dominate bike in Colorado. It was the steepness of the passes and loose rock that put 1st gear to the test. I wonder if changing front and rear sprockets would make the difference without sacrificing the top end speed? I have already made my fair share of mods to my WR to increase the HP, but I still craved a bit more HP.

After this trip it has me contemplating the 15' KTM 350/500 EXC, KTM 690, Husky FE 350/501 S. There was a 09' KTM 500 that was in our group, but he had a number of breakdowns and at one point we had to tow back him back to Lake City. So let the confusion begin.
PB gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 11:53 AM   #8132
CamelBill
Ride It!

Oddometer: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfs225 View Post
Great vid, thanks for sharing!
CO Single Track RR http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post24875020
CamelBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 03:44 PM   #8133
lfs225
Can Am Rider

Oddometer: 308
Try this site for more information on how to ride better

http://www.wdtc.org.au/cross-trainin...techniques.htm

lfs225 screwed with this post 08-20-2014 at 08:19 AM
lfs225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:16 AM   #8134
MizzouRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB gadget View Post
If you are an accomplished rider I'm sure the larger bike would be fine.

There were many sections of the BDR that the 800 GS would have been a blast, but there were also several sections, mixed in with a little rain, made for some difficult travel. In particular, a few sections of mud that we had to stop to clear mud from tires.

KTM was by far the dominate bike in Colorado..

Well, you've got me concerned. It almost always rains out there (Colo) in the afternoons. Rain means mud, and big bikes and mud, means disaster in my book.
And I am not, nor will I ever be considered an accomplished rider. Hmmmm. Could be trouble.
If you got over to Taylor Park, you would have seen even more KTMs. Light, but fast, with a good suspension, definitely the bike of choice.
Thanks for the reply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IBA#32778 2008 R1200GSA 2007 G650XChallenge
No man is as good as he ought to be, and few men are as bad as they seem.. (from a early 1900s post card found in Perry, Missouri..)
MizzouRider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:07 AM   #8135
wb5plj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Well, you've got me concerned. It almost always rains out there (Colo) in the afternoons. Rain means mud, and big bikes and mud, means disaster in my book.
And I am not, nor will I ever be considered an accomplished rider. Hmmmm. Could be trouble.
If you got over to Taylor Park, you would have seen even more KTMs. Light, but fast, with a good suspension, definitely the bike of choice.
Thanks for the reply.

I would say I will let you know when I get back. But as I am going in early September you will likely be there when I am. I am going to have to take my R1200gs as it is my only bike. I do need to get those TKC80's on it before I go.
wb5plj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:49 AM   #8136
CamelBill
Ride It!

Quote:
I'm curious, I thought the COBDR was laid out by guys on 990s and big GSs. Did you, or would you consider taking your 800 GS? I am thinking of going out in early Sept on a GSA..
Jeff, The COBDR is intended for bigger bikes. It is mostly gravel roads. I'm sure there may be some mud holes at spots, but I think you will be fine on your GSA. Worst case is you have to find a go around if an area concerns you . . . that's what your GPS and paper maps are for. Go for it, you will be fine! I'm hoping I can join you on a ride like this next year . . . hoping to have alot me free time starting in 2015
Old 08-20-2014, 06:25 PM   #8137
MizzouRider
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks Bill, that's what I was hoping.

No man is as good as he ought to be, and few men are as bad as they seem.. (from a early 1900s post card found in Perry, Missouri..)
Old 08-21-2014, 01:14 PM   #8138
2degreesout
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 867
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamelBill View Post
. . . hoping to have alot me free time starting in 2015
Yea, rub it in
Old 08-22-2014, 08:39 AM   #8139
fourthree
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Mizzourider, I just got back last night, I think your gs will do fine. The switchbacks on California pass might give you a fit as they are very steep and lots of big loose rock. I don't think rain will be a huge factor as the ground out there is so sandy and rocky that very few areas get muddy and slick like they do here. Also, rains tend to come in mid to late afternoon, and usually only a tenth or 2 at that, just enough to settle the dust for the next morning. It's tempting to do section 1&2 in the same day, I did it, don't do it! The altitude will kick your ass! I bailed out after section 3 because I couldn't take the altitude anymore. Didn't allow enough time to acclimate.
Old 08-23-2014, 06:13 AM   #8140
MizzouRider
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks for the info guys. I've ridden a lot of passes out there, but always on the 650. The big bike, loaded for camping, I'm a bit concerned. I've picked it up before though. Ha
I've got a little too much going on right now. I'm still hoping to go out in a few weeks, but I'm behind on another project or two..
My daughter and son in-law brought these two home from the hospital yesterday.
That's one project complete.. . (Maybe not complete from everyone's perspective.)
Old 08-23-2014, 08:50 AM   #8141
MarkM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
My daughter and son in-law brought these two home from the hospital yesterday.
That's one project complete.. . (Maybe not complete from everyone's perspective.)
They look awesome. Congrats grandpa.
Old 08-23-2014, 09:18 AM   #8142
PB gadget
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthree View Post
Mizzourider, I just got back last night, I think your gs will do fine. The switchbacks on California pass might give you a fit as they are very steep and lots of big loose rock. I don't think rain will be a huge factor as the ground out there is so sandy and rocky that very few areas get muddy and slick like they do here. Also, rains tend to come in mid to late afternoon, and usually only a tenth or 2 at that, just enough to settle the dust for the next morning. It's tempting to do section 1&2 in the same day, I did it, don't do it! The altitude will kick your ass! I bailed out after section 3 because I couldn't take the altitude anymore. Didn't allow enough time to acclimate.
As for the altitude, some of us flew in so we we're going from 650 to 12,000ft in the same day. To deal with the altitude we starting taking a powder drink called acli-mate mountain sports drink. We started taking it 3 days before the trip and continued a few more days into the trip. The good news is that it worked and none of felt the effects of altitude sickness, but you still got that out of breath feeling when picking up your
bike or walking up hills to help a buddy.
PB gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 02:12 PM   #8143
MizzouRider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkM View Post
They look awesome. Congrats grandpa.

Thanks. They are grand kids #s 3 and 4. Plus I turned #&% 60 a few weeks ago. Crap,, I'm a geezer.

Old 08-23-2014, 02:48 PM   #8144
CamelBill
Ride It!

Congrats PaPa

They look great Jeff, very cute, congrats! Got # 3 & 4 due by the end of the year for us. Thank God I'm not old yet

CamelBill screwed with this post 08-23-2014 at 03:00 PM
Old 08-25-2014, 08:28 PM   #8145
ncsonderman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfs225 View Post
That was worth the time to watch and makes me want to get a smaller bike. What fun!

Ride em' if you got em'.

13' GSA (Triple Black)
02' Futura (The Millennium Falcon)
ncsonderman is offline   Reply With Quote