User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2015, 03:47 PM   #1
Woodrow161 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Need a good wearing tire for my 2015 GSA

Got my new 1200 GSA in March. The Michelins that come on it only lasted 3000 miles . I come from a sport bike background so I might be a little harder on the tires than normal. Most of my riding in curvy paved roads with the occasional gravel or dirt. Any suggestions. Thanks
Woodrow161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 03:56 PM   #2
asnowmobiler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
It sounds like we are looking for the same tires.
My rear tire is getting thin with about 2600 miles on it, so the search begins.
There will always be trade offs, so it will not be easy.
Old 05-11-2015, 04:12 PM   #3
asnowmobiler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
These are first on my list.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=998092
Old 05-11-2015, 04:14 PM   #4
2WheeledFaith
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
I've been doing a lot of web searching for a longer lasting tire and the Heidenau K60 keeps coming up as "the" tire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYLrcUOkQBM

I've ordered them for my 1200 GSA

Here is one of the reviews on Revzilla:

Jack F: I have found that the Heidenau is an excellent tire in the wet/rain. I have had two of them on my 2009 BMW R1200GS. Last year I made an 8,000 mile trip to Alaska and back. This trip included a run up the Dalton highway to Deadhorse, a run across the Denali road and the Top Of The World Highway. When traveling in Alaska you quite often ride in the rain. I had no problems what so ever. I started on a rear tire (Heidenau) that had 6,000 miles on it when I left. Rode to Fairbanks and had a new Heidenau installed. This tire has about 7,000 miles on it and I plan to run it this next season. As long as you ride in control, you should not have any problems. I ran Metzler Tourances for a number of years before I switched to the Heidenau and I can't see a bit of difference in the handeling. There is a big edge in wear with the heidenau. It will out last the Tourance about one-and-a- half times. They can be a handful to mount, however. Good Luck!

2WheeledFaith screwed with this post 05-11-2015 at 04:33 PM
2WheeledFaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 04:40 PM   #5
nadredrum
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
If your not riding off road, I'd go to a sport touring tire. There are a hand full out there better mileage and traction on road than a dual sport tire. The k 60 will last a long time but not handle as well as a street tire. If you ride hard, your gonna find it hard to find a long lasting single compound tire. But these bikes are a blast on curvy roads so good luck.
nadredrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 04:44 PM   #6
scubasteve904
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Trail attack 2
That's is all

sent from a device using a program
scubasteve904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 04:52 PM   #7
mortimer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve904 View Post
Trail attack 2
That's is all

sent from a device using a program
+1 I like these tires, gotten over 6K miles from them. Pleasantly surprised both on-road and dirt (not well suited for mud or sand). Next I will try the TKC70s, I would easily go back to Trail Attack 2s if I don't like the TCK70s.
mortimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 06:33 PM   #8
Ravedigger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 239
I got good mileage out of a rear TKC 70, but I didn't like it in the rain. Offroad is was alright, but nothing special.

I'm back to Karoo 3's even though they don't last very long.

If you're not going offroad, I'd recommend the Pilot Road 4s. Hard compound in the middle of the tire for long life, soft compound on the edges of the tire for better grip. Excellent rain performance.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:38 AM   #9
rdcyclist
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,250
Michelin Pilot Road 4. Trail on the front (that's the only PR4 available for the GSW) and GT on the rear. You'll get over 20k outta the front and 10-14k on the rear. IHMO, they are the best street tires for the GS's and not completely hideous in dirt. I would NEVER take them on anything beyond decent fireroad. You WILL eat shit in sand on them.

On the street, they are just excellent. You will amaze your buddies on sport bikes. In the rain, they are The Best tire available; nothing I've ridden comes close.

All of the preceeding is IMHO.
rdcyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 07:49 AM   #10
JetSpeed
Naviator

Oddometer: 3,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdcyclist View Post
Michelin Pilot Road 4. Trail on the front (that's the only PR4 available for the GSW) and GT on the rear. You'll get over 20k outta the front and 10-14k on the rear. IHMO, they are the best street tires for the GS's and not completely hideous in dirt. I would NEVER take them on anything beyond decent fireroad. You WILL eat shit in sand on them.

On the street, they are just excellent. You will amaze your buddies on sport bikes. In the rain, they are The Best tire available; nothing I've ridden comes close.

All of the preceeding is IMHO.

The PR4 Trail is a good street tire although I haven't gotten as many miles as you, they do offer them for the rear as well (170/60R-17)
link: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ZP8RoCHyPw_wcB
Old 05-12-2015, 08:41 AM   #11
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,111
I'm interested in this as well, as my A3 rear is nearly done at 3.5k, so I'll be needing a replacement after next weeks 1200 mile trip to France.

The PR4's may be a little too road focussed, as I tend to ride fire roads and goat tracks, so what are the Trail Attacks like on these sorts of roads? I also like to get a move on, on proper roads, so need something that can handle fast riding on smooth asphalt.

Does such a tyre exist?
Old 05-12-2015, 08:54 AM   #12
JetSpeed
Naviator

In all reality PR4's, A3's and Trail Attacks are pretty much full on street tires, which all do OK on hard-pack.
As you get into the Karoo 3 and TKC70 type tires you start having some off-road capabilities.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:09 AM   #13
Oceandiving954
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Having dealer put the K60's on this weekend , ill be in touch how they hold up...A3 lasted about 6500 miles on the rears..They were great street tires and pretty decent on trails. Sand-Mud meh
Old 05-12-2015, 09:26 AM   #14
JetSpeed
Naviator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceandiving954 View Post
Having dealer put the K60's on this weekend , ill be in touch how they hold up...A3 lasted about 6500 miles on the rears..They were great street tires and pretty decent on trails. Sand-Mud meh
So you're putting the smaller size K60 on your GSW?
I don't understand why anyone would do that.
Old 05-12-2015, 10:10 AM   #15
BikerBill
Motorcycle Addict

Oddometer: 163
I've got Heidenau K60's front and rear on my '08 GSA. Good offroad tire for gravel/dirt(dry). Noisy as can be on pavement. I've got about 6k on the rear and 14k on the front.

34psi front and 39 psi rear on pavement. 24 front 26 rear for offroad.

Caution on lean angles on pavement. Scared myself a time or two. And thats dry pavement.

80-85 mph on interstate all day long is stable as can be.

I've got a new set to mount just prior to departure for Alaska in July. I'm thinking about a more street oriented tire once I return.

Bill