beckreit
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse
Street Rider Thoughts--

21" ORIGINAL RIM
Plus: Best for dirt (obviously) with widest selection of knob's
Minus: Weak street brake, limited street tire selection because of narrow rims, really tall with Mayer seat, hard to see fuel input with California smog nozzle.

From Motorcycles II

19" Woody's lace/GS front rim with SM wide rear rim
Minus: none that I know of yet
Plus: Bigger SM brake, wide selection of tires/street and DS., tubeless both ends.

From Motorcycles II

17" SM Rim
Minus: Tube-type, can not remove front wheel without first removing caliper, can not remove caliper without first removing brake pucks, bike understeers without stabilizer on bumpy slow corners.
Plus: A sure winner in the local "weird-Harold-looking" bike show....

From Motorcycles II
What width rim did you use on the 19" wheel from Woody's...I am working on the same set up...2.5" correct. Thanks rb
beckreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 10:37 AM   #1488
funhouse
Overdue

Oddometer: 3,044
Rb!

2.5 GS rim.......when I posted the pix, I'd not yet ridden the bike.....got a couple hundred on it now and from a street/dirt road rider's perspective, it's a huge improvement......and as was previously mentioned by a member, it (when combined with my nancy-boy windshield and saddle bags) looks much better as well....Bruce

http://picasaweb.google.com/funhouse750
funhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 03:26 AM   #1489
eljay
eljay

Oddometer: 19
luggage

hi funhouse

could i ask you about those side bags? or to be more precise the frame under those bags. I can get sports bike bags like those in your pix for a few bucks here. I have a Wunderlich luggage rack which is ok to tie bag or two on (without destroying the flimsy rear end) but there appears to be a support "frame" under your soft pannier set which would be a more substantial support mechanism.

cheers
eljay
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 08:05 AM   #1490
funhouse
Overdue

Day-bags.......

Eljay: Click on the link at the bottom of my post and the first file is a review of the bags I built for the HP2.....they're for 'round-town' use but not big enough for serious long distance work. I built them because I've got a gas tank under the seat and didn't want the bags to interfere with seat removal. Bruce

Old 06-27-2009, 05:11 PM   #1491
eljay
eljay

Oddometer: 19
Frame

Thanks Bruce, thats given me some ideas.

The can has melted a couple of my bags already. Only smell the burning plastic when I stop.

cheers
eljay

eljay screwed with this post 06-30-2009 at 03:16 AM
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 01:00 AM   #1492
Warthog
TeutonicChronic

Oddometer: 842
new tires and open roads

Tall seat? Get creative.

2006 HP2
Warthog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 07:49 AM   #1493
sleestak
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
My Dream Come True

Since I was a kid, I imagined owning a BMW. Even when I was old enough, started riding anything with two wheels, I had a distant dream of having a BMW. At an early age, I fell in love with the Enduro (Paris/Dakar) image and philosophy. My first Duel Sport was an 1985 Cagiva Elefant. Great bike, but I knew it would only be a "filler" until I can get a BMW.

When I first saw the ads for the HP2 (back in 2004), I feel in love. I told myself that I had to buy one, until I saw the price... 20k for a dirt bike? Holy Crap! The first time I saw one in person was at Iron Horse BMW in Tucson. It was the owners personal bike. After thoroughly checking it out, I was sold. No matter what it takes, I got to get one... Even if I have to sell a kidney, I'll get one.

Well, about four months ago I was in the market to buy a GS or adventure, because the HP2 market has dried up, unless I bought a heavily used example. Eventhough I live in Tucson, AZ, I decided to look on Craigslist in the Phoenix area and well and behold, an HP2 was for sale. Let me tell you, I'm one lucky SOB! The bike looks like it's been in a time capsule. 1200 miles on the odometer. A few scraps on the valve covers, but other than that, MINT condition and at a fraction of the cost of a new one (which can’t be had).. I'm one happy cowboy!

Since the purchase, I've done very little, except for enjoy it. The only item I added was a custom fitted windscreen. With the help from ZTREB (ADV member and Tucson resident), he showed me how to adapt a 1150 windscreen to the HP2. Yes, it turned out nice, but it did take some creativity to make it fit. The end result, the windscreen looks like it was made for it.

Thanks ZTREB and all the guys down at Iron Horse for the help and assistance in achieving my dream.

Sleestak.

sleestak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 10:01 AM   #1494
funhouse
Overdue

Summer Apparel

Hot in CA now, so time to ditch the Givi mondo touring fairing for something a bit more sporty....my thanks to Adv'r Mike McQ for the aerospace quality lower brackets.....this screen was designed to mount to the headlite bolts/9" headlite. Too much buffeting in that location so I moved it back and down, trimmed the lower edge and used the turn signal stems as the mounting point instead....good protection now.....HP2 blue outside, flat black inside.....Bruce

From Motorcycles II

Old 06-28-2009, 10:06 AM   #1495
funhouse
Overdue

welcome aboard........

Sleestak: If you like the HP2 now, wait until you get 12000 miles on it......it's never going to be a GS in terms of vibes, but it gets waaaaaay better as it breaks in.....bruce

Old 06-28-2009, 09:21 PM   #1496
sleestak
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse
Sleestak: If you like the HP2 now, wait until you get 12000 miles on it......it's never going to be a GS in terms of vibes, but it gets waaaaaay better as it breaks in.....bruce
Awesome! I look forward to it. I wish I could buy a second one, in the exact same condition and pull it into a sealed bubble, so when my bike dies, I'll have a brand new one to replace it...

Until that, I'll continue to enjoy it...

Slee
sleestak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 03:59 PM   #1497
Visian
Look out!

Oddometer: 1,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthog
Tall seat? Get creative.
ha! that's me at every stoplight with a curb.
Visian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 04:12 PM   #1498
HiPo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleestak
The end result, the windscreen looks like it was made for it.

Sleestak.

...not really.
HiPo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 06:47 PM   #1499
ztrab
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 676
loaner

Okay, don't forget that I want my headlight template back and that first generation tall Givi is a loaner till you find another. When the monsoons hit, we'll have to hit the desert. Aaron and I are heading to the NW tip of Washington State via UT/WY/MT/ID, then heading south along the coast to OR, before we head back to Tucson. Be home before the end of July.
Thanks for trimming my tall shield

I'll get a hold of you when I get back.

Mike
05 ZX 10 Track bike - (see above)
06 GSXR 600 Track Bike -ditto above :-)
06 525 EXC
06 525 EXC motard
07 12 GS for Jr. with a brand new motor12/09!
06 525 EXC for Jr., new motor, ugh
09 690 Enduro R... I know, I know
ztrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 04:31 AM   #1500
maverick
Lost South-African..

Oddometer: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleestak
Since I was a kid, I imagined owning a BMW. Even when I was old enough, started riding anything with two wheels, I had a distant dream of having a BMW. At an early age, I fell in love with the Enduro (Paris/Dakar) image and philosophy. My first Duel Sport was an 1985 Cagiva Elefant. Great bike, but I knew it would only be a "filler" until I can get a BMW.

When I first saw the ads for the HP2 (back in 2004), I feel in love. I told myself that I had to buy one, until I saw the price... 20k for a dirt bike? Holy Crap! The first time I saw one in person was at Iron Horse BMW in Tucson. It was the owners personal bike. After thoroughly checking it out, I was sold. No matter what it takes, I got to get one... Even if I have to sell a kidney, I'll get one.

Well, about four months ago I was in the market to buy a GS or adventure, because the HP2 market has dried up, unless I bought a heavily used example. Eventhough I live in Tucson, AZ, I decided to look on Craigslist in the Phoenix area and well and behold, an HP2 was for sale. Let me tell you, I'm one lucky SOB! The bike looks like it's been in a time capsule. 1200 miles on the odometer. A few scraps on the valve covers, but other than that, MINT condition and at a fraction of the cost of a new one (which can’t be had).. I'm one happy cowboy!

Since the purchase, I've done very little, except for enjoy it. The only item I added was a custom fitted windscreen. With the help from ZTREB (ADV member and Tucson resident), he showed me how to adapt a 1150 windscreen to the HP2. Yes, it turned out nice, but it did take some creativity to make it fit. The end result, the windscreen looks like it was made for it.

Thanks ZTREB and all the guys down at Iron Horse for the help and assistance in achieving my dream.

Sleestak.
Congrats with your ride mate and may it bring you every mile of smile as mine has been doing over the last 23400 miles This is by far the most exciting and best bike I have ever owned regardless of everybody elses comments. As the miles get piled on you will find it just gets better and better