User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2009, 12:50 AM   #1561
mike cummins
OUTBACK RIDER

Oddometer: 720
nice one dave

hey dave i emailed my credit card details to hpn and they have not replied.
They are pretty useless.
mike cummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 03:32 AM   #1562
Warthog
TeutonicChronic

Oddometer: 842
SimSaDae (a place to wash your horse)

a ride west along the Jinwi river valley, then northwest to the TokSan fortress park.

Buddhist temple 1km from my house, Jinwi river valley

house next to the temple...

nice gate

Mushroom restaurant on the way...

Park and natural spring area near TokSan Fortress area...
The guy behind my bike was drunk on MakoLi (rhymes with broccoli), a pungent fermented rice slurry that will knock you on your rear. Headache comes after the third small cup. Serious stuff. Possible second use as octane booster.

small snack shop at the parking lot. ice cream, soda, rice whiskey.

: : : TokSan fortress area : : : :
TokSan Fortress sign

the story...

nice bathrooms...

Fortress entrance

this place had some awesome bathrooms. this one on the perimeter hiking trail

another sign, explaining the deal...

I spent the day riding fairly slow, burning the knobs off that Teraflex rear. Dangerous tire, that one.

2006 HP2

Warthog screwed with this post 08-16-2009 at 03:43 AM
Warthog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:02 AM   #1563
configurationspace
delooper

Oddometer: 8,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike cummins
hey dave i emailed my credit card details to hpn and they have not replied.
They are pretty useless.
If I recall correctly, they prefer direct bank transfers. They also prefer not to deal directly with consumers in foreign countries... I suggest you try to purchase through BMW Atlanta (a reseller of HPN items) if you can't make the direct purchase work.
configurationspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 01:10 AM   #1564
BiG DoM
African Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopra
........and beautiful GIRLS :)
Indeed - must agree

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... 'Fuck, what a trip!'

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcyclists.
BiG DoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 04:33 AM   #1565
mike cummins
OUTBACK RIDER

Oddometer: 720
will do

thanks guys will do
mike cummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:09 AM   #1566
Leftless
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
My scoot - spot the mod.

Leftless
Attached Images

One's ability lies in what you let yourself to believe is possible, and not the perceived limitations your body might have.
www.r2h.co.za
www.stormgps.co.za
Leftless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 01:01 PM   #1567
funhouse
Overdue

Oddometer: 3,044
Space is limited.........

Leftless..........so let's not be so wordy......jeez, no info on bike, yourself, mods....nothin'!

http://picasaweb.google.com/funhouse750
funhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 01:18 PM   #1568
Garthe
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer: 4,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by configurationspace
If I recall correctly, they prefer direct bank transfers. They also prefer not to deal directly with consumers in foreign countries... I suggest you try to purchase through BMW Atlanta (a reseller of HPN items) if you can't make the direct purchase work.

I bought my HPN tank through Bobby, almost painless. $$$$$$
Garthe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 02:42 PM   #1569
space
a.k.a. Jake

Oddometer: 2,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse
Leftless..........so let's not be so wordy......jeez, no info on bike, yourself, mods....nothin'!
I don't know ... seems like a pretty good second post to me! Nice pic!

As for mods, that's part of the fun. I see TT head guards & crash bars, Wunderlich screen, Akro pipe, passenger pegs, and some good honest low-cost mud. Ah, and apparently some tensioner straps to hold together that cheap piece of cast aluminum that keeps the seat in place.
space is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 12:47 AM   #1570
Leftless
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse
The entire motorcycle is controlled from the from the right hand handlebar with only a prosthetic attachment on the left. I'll post a tech report on the modes and history a bit later.

The pic shows the rh grip on my GS during testing (fist fit). The working configuration is slightly different.

Leftless
Attached Images

One's ability lies in what you let yourself to believe is possible, and not the perceived limitations your body might have.
www.r2h.co.za
www.stormgps.co.za

Leftless screwed with this post 08-18-2009 at 01:19 AM
Old 08-18-2009, 04:12 AM   #1571
Leftless
Adventurer

The one-arm bandit rides again …

I started riding motorcycles when I was about fourteen years old. After about ten years I had quite a serious accident (my second) and subsequently lost my left hand. It was at this point that I thought that it might be a good time to try and ignore the biking itch …… Fortunately this didn’t last forever and I bought an old Honda XL600R in 2002 as a test bike to see if it could be modified for one-handed operation. I had to develop a hand that is rigid and sturdy enough to be used for enduro or road racing, yet that will auto release without rider intervention if one were to fall. Once the hand and socket were manufactured and tested the remainder of the modifications were quite simple. This was simply done by mounting the clutch below the front brake. It was a lot easier to ride with the mod than I originally anticipated. With this setup I was ripping up dirt roads and tracks like never before (I had some catching up to do). Then, after two and a bit years of development and testing, a hand that won’t fail and new found rider confidence, the time was right to buy a real bike.
The process of choosing a proper motorcycle was quite interesting. One can’t go to your closest dealer, take a demo bike or two, do some extensive modifications and take it for a quick test run. As an amputee, motorcycle dealers and accessory dealers in general look at you strangely (that yea right, look) and are generally reluctant to assist or spend a lot of time with you when you inquire about a big dual-purpose bike. I knew the type of riding I was planning on doing and evaluated all the bikes carefully based on info provided from the dealers (the ones that would help) as well as info from other riders. Needless to say, the R1200GS won my little research project hand”s” down.

Must say the GS is fantastic but do have some limitations if the terrain gets rough. I decided to sell the GS before I broke it completely – I was a bit rough on the bike and it started to fall apart. A logical upgrade was the HP2 and that smile came back with a vengeance. I felt like I was finally home. The modifications on the GS were directly transferred to the HP2.

Modification of the left grip in order to hold on with my custom built prosthetic. I fitted a non-heated version of the left grip that was modified and fitted around the aluminium bracket.

Modification to the right grip hydraulics in order to operate the bike with one hand. Shortened front brake on top and the clutch lever below.

Both the clutch and brake run off the same system. In order to achieve this I had to have special seals machined for the clutch slave cylinder. BM uses odd natural oil in their clutch hydraulics and I had to have things compatible with DOT4 fluid. The levers were imported from ISR.

My index finger runs the front brake (top), middle finger works the clutch (bottom) and the ring and pinkie holds the throttle.

The prosthetic I constructed consists of a carbon-fibre and stainless steel socket (fits over my arm), a steel and nylon “hand” and a stainless steel and aluminium handlebar attachment. Every thing excluding the additional hydraulic lines and levers I manufactured single handedly (pardon the pun) in my garage using basic hand tools. The clutch levers were imported from ISR in Sweden with adjustable pressure / travel and position – they’re really cool.

A preassembly view of my custom socket. This is the part that holds my “hand” to my arm. The white stuff is a cotton inner (not to irritate the skin) lining with a standard Otto Bock wrist attachment as well as heating elements and anchor points for straps (the straps holds the socket in place on jumps and hill climbs). The PS2 connector is to connect the socket to the bike in order to draw power for heated grip.. errr socket. This will be covered and shaped with a resin and cotton flox before applying three layers of carbon fiber as final covering and support.

Hands ready for casting. These are printed models (printed by 3D printer) produces from the CAD diagrams by Stellenbosch University. These guys are great, they manufacture anything from car parts to spinal disks, and now even biking hands. It’s simple, they print WHATEVER you draw.

These are set in a tree, covered in ceramic, and cast with marine grade aluminum. From there it goes to the machine shop.

I have upgraded the designs since the photos were taken and every time they edit the design reprint and cast the mew hands. As easy as that - if your hand doesn’t do what you want, change it and print a new one.

Only if every thing was this simple.

Leftless

www.r2h.co.za
www.stormgps.co.za
Old 08-18-2009, 04:23 AM   #1572
Leftless
Adventurer

Warthog, dont you have any issues with valve's burning with the back half of your exhaust stem removed?

Leftless

www.r2h.co.za
www.stormgps.co.za
Old 08-18-2009, 04:27 AM   #1573
Visian
Look out!

Oddometer: 1,653
pretty amazing stuff, leftless.

what is the purpose of heating the prosthetic?
Visian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 05:43 AM   #1574
space
a.k.a. Jake

Oddometer: 2,590
Wow. That really is impressive work, Leftless. And some impressive riding, from the look of it.
space is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 05:53 AM   #1575
brothermosley
Motorcycle Operator

Oddometer: 624
Leftless

Pretty awesome and inspiring! Thanks.