Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2009, 06:43 AM   #1576
Leftless
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visian
pretty amazing stuff, leftless.

what is the purpose of heating the prosthetic?
Visian

While riding the GS it serves the same purpose as a heated grip - although a heated grip on the left side will be quite useless. I measured the resistance in the stock heated grip and rolled a similar coil in the prosthetic. Works like a charm.

I don't use it on the HP2 though - the bike is not fitted with heated grips

Leftless

One's ability lies in what you let yourself to believe is possible, and not the perceived limitations your body might have.
www.r2h.co.za
www.stormgps.co.za
Leftless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 07:09 AM   #1577
Leftless
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by space
Wow. That really is impressive work, Leftless. And some impressive riding, from the look of it.
Thanks. I spend most of my time on dirt and only use tar roads if i have no other choice. I like it technical and probably need a lighter bike at some point.

Leftless

One's ability lies in what you let yourself to believe is possible, and not the perceived limitations your body might have.
www.r2h.co.za
www.stormgps.co.za
Old 08-18-2009, 10:51 AM   #1578
funhouse
Overdue

Oddometer: 3,044
amazing enthusiasm and skill

Do you think you'll develop a street bike in the future? What new technology do you see on the horizon that might interest you--Honda's coming automatics? .....thx .... Bruce

http://picasaweb.google.com/funhouse750
funhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 12:07 PM   #1579
Leftless
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse
Do you think you'll develop a street bike in the future? What new technology do you see on the horizon that might interest you--Honda's coming automatics? .....thx .... Bruce
Don't think so... i have no interest in tar roads - off road is my thing. I don't think an an auto box will do it for me, i like the control. This is also one of the reasons i sold the GS, to get away from the integrated braking and abs. The bike works better without these in extreme off road conditions.

Leftless

www.r2h.co.za
www.stormgps.co.za
Old 08-18-2009, 12:39 PM   #1580
configurationspace
delooper

Oddometer: 7,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftless
Don't think so... i have no interest in tar roads - off road is my thing. I don't think an an auto box will do it for me, i like the control. This is also one of the reasons i sold the GS, to get away from the integrated braking and abs. The bike works better without these in extreme off road conditions.

Leftless
Doesn't your right hand get tired pretty quickly? With all those things to control simultaneously I think my hand would give up after about an hour.
configurationspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 12:56 PM   #1581
Leftless
Adventurer

Depends on the type of terrain. On very technical stuff i cramp up quite quickly but on the open dirt I'm fine. If the terrain is not that technical i use the clutch up to third and just snap it to the next after that. The same applies for gearing down - have had no problems so far.

On long rides or known technical trips I ride with a wrist brace as additional support on the right as well as some preemptive voltarin patches.

Leftless

www.r2h.co.za
www.stormgps.co.za
Old 08-18-2009, 02:03 PM   #1582
Warthog
TeutonicChronic

Oddometer: 842
Quote:
Warthog, dont you have any issues with valve's burning with the back half of your exhaust stem removed?

Leftless
valves burning? I hope not. The cat is still there, so I still have (some) back pressure. Hope to have new AQ Ti system this week.

Nice setup on your mods. Sweet levers.

2006 HP2
Warthog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 05:13 PM   #1583
Pir8te
over forty victim of fate

Oddometer: 1,448
Wow some engineering!
I know why I stayed with the BMW, but find it
Interesting that you have chosen a dry clutch bike,

Did you considered a rekluse clutch set up and a wet clutch like a 950?

Quote:
Depends on the type of terrain. On very technical stuff i cramp up quite quickly but on the open dirt I'm fine. If the terrain is not that technical i use the clutch up to third and just snap it to the next after that. The same applies for gearing down - have had no problems so far.

On long rides or known technical trips I ride with a wrist brace as additional support on the right as well as some preemptive voltarin patches.

Leftless
Old 08-18-2009, 11:57 PM   #1584
Steady
Flogster

Oddometer: 281
Leftless

Respect Dude.

You ride a mountain bike by any chance?
have thoughts of running away with, you know at some point it will end in tears but you just have to come back for more, at times it makes no sense but when you get down and dirty who cares about sense." - scotsmun
Steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 12:41 AM   #1585
Leftless
Adventurer

No i don't ride mb although it will probably help my fitness level somewhat.

I only considered BMW and KTM with the only KTM dealer and two of the three BMW dealers not interested to talk to me (at the time) it ended up being a BM - subconsiosley i wanted a BM. Although if i were to look for a new bike (a lighter 450) i won't have a problem at any of the dealers now.

I have been offered a ride on a 950 fitted with a rekluse clutch but havent had tyime yet. All i need to fit my hand attachment.

Leftless

www.r2h.co.za
www.stormgps.co.za
Old 08-19-2009, 07:17 AM   #1586
BiG DoM
African Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,392
Having been on this forum from the early days it is really great to see a fellow Saafrikan bud who I have ridden with on a number of occassions joining in!

I can say from the first time I saw Leftless ride at what I think was our first GAGSC (Great African GS Challenge) on his then 1200GS I was mighty impressed by his courage and determination ... and his awesome riding skills!
Now like me he has UPGRADED to a HP2 for the same reasons. I can tell all you guys out there this dude can ride fooking fast and furious and most will have difficulty staying with him in the most demanding terrain. Leftless you are a star ADVRider!

I must say further to this specific topic I met a dude in Lesotho last year at the Roof of Africa Rally (Google it!) who has a amputated right foot - he tapes his prosthetic foot onto the peg with a velcro strap - also has two break levers ... and yes also just goes for it and most times gets to put the LHS foot down and if not has his mates to 'right' him! Again great respect.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... 'Fuck, what a trip!'

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcyclists.
BiG DoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 07:35 AM   #1587
Leftless
Adventurer

Thanks BigD, but i only do what i enjoy. Just remember, some of us have less to loose if things go wrong.

Leftless

www.r2h.co.za
www.stormgps.co.za
Old 08-19-2009, 08:03 AM   #1588
longwaybackhome
--------------

Oddometer: 218
My sauna constructors HP2

longwaybackhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 09:04 AM   #1589
Visian
Look out!

Oddometer: 1,640
hey... it's blue and grey.
Visian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 11:06 AM   #1590
Leftless
Adventurer

Can't be good in sand with the small wheels

www.r2h.co.za
www.stormgps.co.za