ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-30-2010, 08:17 AM   #2161
Mr. Magoo
n/a
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Oddometer: 4,946
Latest incarnation ...

Mr. Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:35 AM   #2162
Visian
Look out!
 
Visian's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2001
Location: ATL/WNC
Oddometer: 1,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by FEBUT
if you have correct mounting set-up can you use a "regular" scotts damper or is there a "special" one for hp2? thank you
my experience is that the scotts mount did not fit between the stock bar riser.

i went with Rbott's mount... really a nice piece that places the risers just a tad wider apart... and his version of the damper, which appeared to be standard but had the lever arm reversed and the tip ground down a bit to clear the tank. his steering tube ring clamp is also split so that you don't need to remove the top triple clamp to install, as you do the scotts.

the only shortcoming: no on-the-fly adjustment, as the dials are beneath the bar. but i've never had the need to do that anyway.

big props for Rbott's solution. this made a huge improvement in my ability to ride soft sugar sand and mud.



.
__________________
'67 Trail 90 || '86 R80 G/SPD+ || '97 F650ST || '00 1150 GS || '06 HP2e
Visian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 01:42 PM   #2163
bingbong
Studly Adventurer
 
bingbong's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Obidos, Portugal
Oddometer: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Magoo
__________________
R Nine T
"you're never too old to learn something stupid" -- unknown.
bingbong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 12:59 AM   #2164
dgeldenhuis
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: South Africa
Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Magoo
Mr Magoo

where are the rims from?
does the front wheel require any special spacers, or is it a straight swop?
dgeldenhuis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 04:14 AM   #2165
Mr. Magoo
n/a
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Oddometer: 4,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgeldenhuis
Mr Magoo

where are the rims from?
does the front wheel require any special spacers, or is it a straight swop?
R1200S. Straight swap.
Mr. Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 05:24 AM   #2166
dgeldenhuis
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: South Africa
Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Magoo
R1200S. Straight swap.
but on the front rim of the 1200 you have a double disk, so you just don't mount one on the RHS of the rim?
dgeldenhuis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:04 AM   #2167
Mr. Magoo
n/a
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Oddometer: 4,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgeldenhuis
but on the front rim of the 1200 you have a double disk, so you just don't mount one on the RHS of the rim?
Yes. I put little black rubber plugs in the holes to dress it up.
Mr. Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 04:56 PM   #2168
pixelcodex
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: South Florida
Oddometer: 76
Help with purchasing an HP2

I am an avid 12GS rider that lives in Florida. I ride in the mountains of North Carolina a couple of times a year, but mostly ride on Sunday with buddies with GSs. I recently went to the BMW MOA meeting in Oregon and rode a good portion of the OBDR. I had a blast riding the GS off-road and got stung by the dirt bug. I started thinking of more "dirt-worthy" BMW alternatives and even test rode an 800GS. I did not feel the engine as I got used to the 12GS low-end torque. Since I like the engine already, I started looking into getting a used HP2 and read a bunch of forums on them (including this one). Besides having to improve the range and adding more protection for the wind, I read a few things about the differences in the engine: mainly the lack of a counterbalance and the vibration that causes on the HP2. I have rad mixed reviews of "how bad" it is. Well, before I commit to buying one "sight-on-seeing" I wanted to see if I could ride one. With so few of these around, I am looking for an inmate in the South Florida area who would be willing to assist me in my decision by letting me take a look at one in person or even test ride one?

Thanks.
pixelcodex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 05:58 PM   #2169
Mr. Magoo
n/a
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Oddometer: 4,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelcodex
I am an avid 12GS rider that lives in Florida. I ride in the mountains of North Carolina a couple of times a year, but mostly ride on Sunday with buddies with GSs. I recently went to the BMW MOA meeting in Oregon and rode a good portion of the OBDR. I had a blast riding the GS off-road and got stung by the dirt bug. I started thinking of more "dirt-worthy" BMW alternatives and even test rode an 800GS. I did not feel the engine as I got used to the 12GS low-end torque. Since I like the engine already, I started looking into getting a used HP2 and read a bunch of forums on them (including this one). Besides having to improve the range and adding more protection for the wind, I read a few things about the differences in the engine: mainly the lack of a counterbalance and the vibration that causes on the HP2. I have rad mixed reviews of "how bad" it is. Well, before I commit to buying one "sight-on-seeing" I wanted to see if I could ride one. With so few of these around, I am looking for an inmate in the South Florida area who would be willing to assist me in my decision by letting me take a look at one in person or even test ride one?

Thanks.

pshaw .... mines smoother than my 09' GSA. The motor's balanced from the factory. These are handbuilts.
Mr. Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:15 PM   #2170
Pir8te
over forty victim of fate
 
Pir8te's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: East of Malibu
Oddometer: 1,448
not an issue

I have had an r1100GS, have a R80.... the HP2 is not any different to other R bikes, relative to perceived vibration is insignificant IMHO. Like all the R bikes this bike smooths out ~30K and is needs to be properly maintained.

The only bike that I have own that had a vibration issue on long trips (800-1K /day) was my LC4 (wrong tool for that job), that said I have no problems with my current thumper WR 450, but the R80 /HP2 now get the long road trips to the playgrounds .


On the other hand I find K bikes high frequency vibration very bothersome, but have put 70K miles on my K-bike took awhile to figure out keep a loose grip, get good grips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelcodex
mainly the lack of a counterbalance and the vibration that causes on the HP2. I have rad mixed reviews of "how bad" it is.

Thanks.
__________________
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.
Abraham Lincoln
Pir8te is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:39 PM   #2171
legion
Wait Til Friday
 
legion's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: Alaska
Oddometer: 12,624
I actually prefer the vibration of the HP2 to the 1100 / 1150 / 1200's and I've got several thousand miles experience on each. The 1100 and 1150 made my nose vibrate in a way that didn't take too long to become a major PIA. I found myself regularly popping the shield up and touching my nose as if there were something annoying on it. I didn't realize for several thousand miles that it was the engine vibe that was doing it.

The HP2 has a different vibration that doesn't bug my schnoz... or anything else.
legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:02 PM   #2172
Hotmamaandme
Wishing I was riding RTW
 
Hotmamaandme's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Gardnerville NV
Oddometer: 2,701
Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by legion
I actually prefer the vibration of the HP2 to the 1100 / 1150 / 1200's and I've got several thousand miles experience on each. The 1100 and 1150 made my nose vibrate in a way that didn't take too long to become a major PIA. I found myself regularly popping the shield up and touching my nose as if there were something annoying on it. I didn't realize for several thousand miles that it was the engine vibe that was doing it.

The HP2 has a different vibration that doesn't bug my schnoz... or anything else.

Funny I've found the opposite. My 1150 GS no nose itching. My HP2 I get an itch at the tip of my nose something fierce. Ant that funny. I'm keeping the bike anyway.
__________________
My screen name is kind of long. I am the "ME" part, my name is Cory.

Jimmy Lewis quote: "Those KLRs are full of potential. Just takes a rider..."
Hotmamaandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 06:29 AM   #2173
space
a.k.a. Jake
 
space's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Pasadena, CA
Oddometer: 2,608
I found my 1150GS a bit smoother. Less vibrations from the engine in general, and less transmitted through the handle bars. I've checked valve clearances every other oil change on both bikes, so the engines should be in a similar state of tune. That said: the vibes still aren't bad -- nothing compared to most thumpers!

To pixelcodex, re "stung by the dirt bug": so are you new to dirt, or just new to riding big bikes on dirt? If you're new new, then the HP2 is not a good starting point. Sure, it's 50 lb lighter than the R1200GS, but it's still 150 lb heavier than, say, an old XR400. You'll have a lot more fun and learn a lot more if you keep your current bike and pick up a lightweight (and cheaply crashable) dualsport.
space is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 06:38 AM   #2174
Mr. Magoo
n/a
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Oddometer: 4,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by space
To pixelcodex, re "stung by the dirt bug": so are you new to dirt, or just new to riding big bikes on dirt? If you're new new, then the HP2 is not a good starting point. Sure, it's 50 lb lighter than the R1200GS, but it's still 150 lb heavier than, say, an old XR400. You'll have a lot more fun and learn a lot more if you keep your current bike and pick up a lightweight (and cheaply crashable) dualsport.
Correct.
Mr. Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 06:45 AM   #2175
pixelcodex
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: South Florida
Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by space
I found my 1150GS a bit smoother. Less vibrations from the engine in general, and less transmitted through the handle bars. I've checked valve clearances every other oil change on both bikes, so the engines should be in a similar state of tune. That said: the vibes still aren't bad -- nothing compared to most thumpers!

To pixelcodex, re "stung by the dirt bug": so are you new to dirt, or just new to riding big bikes on dirt? If you're new new, then the HP2 is not a good starting point. Sure, it's 50 lb lighter than the R1200GS, but it's still 150 lb heavier than, say, an old XR400. You'll have a lot more fun and learn a lot more if you keep your current bike and pick up a lightweight (and cheaply crashable) dualsport.

I would say I am not inept, but I am not that experienced with dirt and do not get to do it often in my backyard (Miami, Florida). I just want something better for it when I do go on trips where I do hit the dirt. Unfortunately I neither have the space, nor the money to keep 2 bikes. I am trying to find a "jack of all trades" sort of bike, more so than the 12GS that is.

Ohh, and I am also 6'5" and about 240 so I am not sure if an XR400 would carry me (I may be totally wrong on this).
pixelcodex is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014