Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2011, 10:51 AM   #2716
MudSling
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by CagivaJS View Post
Dang. I thought I had destroyed all of the evidence of this incident. :) I'll send some of my friends from Brooklyn to collect those...
How do you find the X-Heads for protection? I've thrown out the H&B bars I had on and have destroyed the stock protectors which did a remarkably good job all things considered. I'm hoping the X-Heads are the ticket for next year.

My bike spends a lot of time looking like yours does laying in the mud and sand.

http://apormc.com/
MudSling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 03:25 AM   #2717
Warthog
TeutonicChronic

Oddometer: 842
X-heads v.s. Touratech guards ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudSling View Post
How do you find the X-Heads for protection? I've thrown out the H&B bars I had on and have destroyed the stock protectors which did a remarkably good job all things considered. I'm hoping the X-Heads are the ticket for next year.

My bike spends a lot of time looking like yours does laying in the mud and sand.
X-head protectors are plastic. Plastic can be very tough, but I think they might rip away faster than a steel mount. After 2 easy slides on gravel, my stock plastic OEM guards ripped away from the mount holes.

I have been using Touratech aluminum guards, which are mounted at 2 points on a steel carrier. The third mount point (front of cylinder) is just the aluminum body of the guard, with an eyelet. The Touratech guards have survived multiple slides in the gravel, but a low-side slide on pavement finally ripped the front aluminum tab off. Still, pretty tough protectors, for the $200 price tag. I'm still using them - they are grinding down, but still good.

2006 HP2
Warthog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:52 AM   #2718
FEBUT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
hi, i read earlier some issues (auto filling main tank?) on markus underseat tank, ive pm him days ago. were they resolved? any other feedback...i need more range...thanks
FEBUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:24 AM   #2719
BiG DoM
African Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by FEBUT View Post
hi, i read earlier some issues (auto filling main tank?) on markus underseat tank, ive pm him days ago. were they resolved? any other feedback...i need more range...thanks

I was told to position the breather as high as possible - I located mine at the top of my main tank (under the cover) but still had self syphoning happening through the supplied fuel pump. It was all fitted exactly as described etc. I discovered that I could get an alternative fuel pump that would definately eliminate the chances of this but opted for a simple solution of an inline fuel-cock. This ensures that the underseat tank is full until you want to pump it over and is also a kind of safety measure as well. I used a standard unit that is used generally on lawnmowers - are probably others freely available as well.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... 'Fuck, what a trip!'

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcyclists.
BiG DoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:52 PM   #2720
space
a.k.a. Jake

Oddometer: 2,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiG DoM View Post
It was all fitted exactly as described etc. I discovered that I could get an alternative fuel pump that would definately eliminate the chances of this but opted for a simple solution of an inline fuel-cock. This ensures that the underseat tank is full until you want to pump it over and is also a kind of safety measure as well.
Yup. That's what I've done in the past too for aux tank plumbing, as it's the surest-fire way to prevent the reverse flow you get with Facet-style pumps. Not quite as elegant as a check valve, but so it goes.

If anyone has used a check valve though, I'd be interested in the make/model. I'm rerouting some plumbing on my HP2 as well.
space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 01:32 PM   #2721
Hotmamaandme
Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer: 2,650
Charcoal Kilns Death Valley

Jimmy Lewis quote: "Those KLRs are full of potential. Just takes a rider..."
Hotmamaandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:12 AM   #2722
ADVBedouin
Rider

Oddometer: 396
I finally went to my local landfill & put my HP2E on their scales; 420 lbs as you see it here. The only extras on it are a buffed out toolkit, DL650 windscreen/bracketry, factory offroad package, & approx 1 gal fuel, totalling @ 15-20 lbs more, so figure 400 lbs, which is closer to BMW's 385lb taget "dry weight" than I'd thought.
ADVBedouin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 04:39 AM   #2723
Ddorf
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
HP2 in South of France

I do not want to bother you with a close-up of my HP2 as it looks quite similar to the one from the catalogue, but as a frequent lurker I would like to contribute to this thread with a brief report about my last trip (with pics from HP2s of course)

More than 2000 years ago Hannibal and his elephant troups crossed the Rhone river at Avignon on his march towards Rome, passed through the valleys of the Northern Provence to finally cross the Alpes. We were following his traces with our rubber wheeled elephants and discovered a beautiful landscape and scenery with solitude, great hospitality in small villages, relicts of the Resistance during WW2, great food and great red wine of course.
3 days and 350km of Offroadriding using forest roads, firefighter and single paths or just a compass course and max 5% tarmac with our Guide Patrick Cerdan from www.randoventoux.com. It is a trip in a remote area and technically challenging so everybody went down at least once.
I was hoping for this tour as HP2 only event, but there are not too much in my area and for my German fellows it is a long way down. Maybe next time.
If you are interested make some noise.

Stefan, expatriated German in Avignon

Ddorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:34 AM   #2724
HP2freak
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Servus, schaut doch super aus. Muss ich fast mal zu den Franzosen runter
Hub
HP2freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 04:02 PM   #2725
Aquatic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,437
Wow

Just beautifull(bikes,scenery,riding)
Aquatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 06:06 AM   #2726
Warthog
TeutonicChronic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotmamaandme View Post
Cory, I see you riding snow, dirt, trails, with those Karoo 50/50 sorta knobbies. Kendal 776F or Michelin StArcross in the front will make the dirt ride much more tractable and fun. d606 or Pirelli in the back. That combo does pretty well on Tarmac at mild speed.

2006 HP2
Old 04-15-2011, 12:18 PM   #2727
Hotmamaandme
Wishing I was riding RTW

I actually have my full knobby set of wheels on in that snow pic. That's a michellen desert front (those are great tires but pricey) and a Dunlop 606 rear great tire for the money.

Hotmamaandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 06:42 AM   #2728
Warthog
TeutonicChronic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotmamaandme View Post
I actually have my full knobby set of wheels on in that snow pic. That's a michellen desert front (those are great tires but pricey) and a Dunlop 606 rear great tire for the money.
Ah, now that I look closer I see. looks like good adventure. I hope to be back in northern Cali in the next few years doing a ride.

2006 HP2
Old 04-19-2011, 10:29 PM   #2729
Ristretto
HP2pilot

Oddometer: 175
Ristretto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:13 PM   #2730
Hotmamaandme
Wishing I was riding RTW