Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2011, 02:48 AM   #2806
micksouthere
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Yeah dumped it on the left sliding it just a smidge too far...sorry no pics!
micksouthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:43 PM   #2807
ADVBedouin
Rider

Oddometer: 396
Losper, that Remus is very cool...is there a part # specific to the HP2E for that?

ADVBedouin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:45 PM   #2808
ADVBedouin
Rider

Oddometer: 396
Jacko, where'd you get that red air filter pre-filter thingy...looks just like what I'm looking for.

ADVBedouin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:05 AM   #2809
Losper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVBedouin View Post
Losper, that Remus is very cool...is there a part # specific to the HP2E for that?

ADVBedoulin, I used a standard Remus Hexacone titanium for a 1200GS. I just shortened the can by about 120mm ( 6inch )
Losper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:07 AM   #2810
Losper
Adventurer

ADVBedoulin, the red sponse that you see on the air-intake of Jacko's bike is part of the Uni-air filter's pre filter. You can not buy the prefilter seperately, it only comes with the unifilter kit. The best filter on the marker if you ask me. In this picture the prefilter is black but is is available in many colours
Attached Images

Old 06-02-2011, 08:19 AM   #2811
BiG DoM
African Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losper View Post
ADVBedoulin, the red sponse that you see on the air-intake of Jacko's bike is part of the Uni-air filter's pre filter. You can not buy the prefilter seperately, it only comes with the unifilter kit. The best filter on the marker if you ask me. In this picture the prefilter is black but is is available in many colours
While I believe these filters are good for very dusty and sandy conditions they are retrictive for general use. If you look at the available surface area of the fliter and then how the two circle cutouts restrict this by probably at least 1/3 you will see what I am getting at - couple this with a potentially overoiled and restrcitive sponge and you have an asthmatic HP2!!! I personally use a well serviced K&N in preference.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... 'Fuck, what a trip!'

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcyclists.
BiG DoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 12:01 PM   #2812
vass650
Vass

Oddometer: 8
here http://www.touratech.com/shops/020/p...oducts_id=6876

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVBedouin View Post
Jacko, where'd you get that red air filter pre-filter thingy...looks just like what I'm looking for.

vass650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 03:09 PM   #2813
Some Dude
what attitude problem???

Oddometer: 4,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiG DoM View Post
While I believe these filters are good for very dusty and sandy conditions they are retrictive for general use. If you look at the available surface area of the fliter and then how the two circle cutouts restrict this by probably at least 1/3 you will see what I am getting at - couple this with a potentially overoiled and restrcitive sponge and you have an asthmatic HP2!!! I personally use a well serviced K&N in preference.
You couldn't be further from the truth although it's easy to understand why you have your theory.

We've tested the filter only pictured above on a flow bench against an OEM paper filter and K&N filter, the foam filter beat the K&N by over 50cfm because of it's design.

Now if you add the pre-filter to the equation, the all foam set-up still flows comparably to the OEM paper filter but is only a few less CFM flow. Take out the pre-filter and it's the highest CFM filter and the ONLY filter to have installed if you try to suck in water.

You couldn't give me a K&N to run on ANY of my bikes, specially if I was in a harsher/dustier environment like SA or Australia outback.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:29 PM   #2814
Jacko
1.72m of blinding speed..

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Atlanta View Post
You couldn't be further from the truth although it's easy to understand why you have your theory.

We've tested the filter only pictured above on a flow bench against an OEM paper filter and K&N filter, the foam filter beat the K&N by over 50cfm because of it's design.

Now if you add the pre-filter to the equation, the all foam set-up still flows comparably to the OEM paper filter but is only a few less CFM flow. Take out the pre-filter and it's the highest CFM filter and the ONLY filter to have installed if you try to suck in water.

You couldn't give me a K&N to run on ANY of my bikes, specially if I was in a harsher/dustier environment like SA or Australia outback
+1

K&N and similar filters are engine killers, especially if you ride in dusty terrain.

The Unifilter is the best solution for an HP2. At least, that's according to the experts.

With the prefilter off, the bike goes like stink. It's only really a cable tie that you cut. But it is so valuable i.t.o. clean air that unless I'm only doing blacktop, it stays on.

"Well it's true! It's true! You're semi-evil. You're quasi-evil. You're the margarine of evil. You're the Diet Coke of evil. Just one calorie, not evil enough."
Jacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 04:33 PM   #2815
space
a.k.a. Jake

Oddometer: 2,604
Good info re filters.

Where do you get the Unifilter?

The Touratech website has a foam filter that looks identical to what Losper posted, listed at $103.

Meanwhile Unifilter.com lists their R1200GS foam filter at $33 (part number NU-7307), but they don't have a picture. That's a hell of a bargain -- enough of a bargain to make me suspicious that it's not what I'm looking for....

Can someone confirm the Unifilter.com part is correct?

Thanks.
space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 04:47 PM   #2816
Some Dude
what attitude problem???

Quote:
Originally Posted by space View Post
Good info re filters.

Where do you get the Unifilter?

The Touratech website has a foam filter that looks identical to what Losper posted, listed at $103.

Meanwhile Unifilter.com lists their R1200GS foam filter at $33 (part number NU-7307), but they don't have a picture. That's a hell of a bargain -- enough of a bargain to make me suspicious that it's not what I'm looking for....

Can someone confirm the Unifilter.com part is correct?

Thanks.
You're looking for the Unifilter Australian version vs the USA Unifilter. Yours truly stocks the Australian version with two pre-filter air socks for $60ish which is produced by the exact same folks of the Touratech kit.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:48 PM   #2817
space
a.k.a. Jake

Oddometer: 2,604
Quote:
You're looking for the Unifilter Australian version vs the USA Unifilter. Yours truly stocks the Australian version with two pre-filter air socks for $60ish which is produced by the exact same folks of the Touratech kit.
Cool, thanks. I'll give your parts desk a call tomorrow.

I've got some Motorex "Twin Air Bio" oil. Sound reasonable, or do you recommend anything special with these?
space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:54 PM   #2818
Some Dude
what attitude problem???

Quote:
Originally Posted by space View Post
Cool, thanks. I'll give your parts desk a call tomorrow.

I've got some Motorex "Twin Air Bio" oil. Sound reasonable, or do you recommend anything special with these?
they come pre-oiled and from there use what works for you, there's no adhesive glue holding it together, so most of the bio-degradeable filter sprays will be just fine.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:26 PM   #2819
BiG DoM
African Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,466
Quote:

You couldn't give me a K&N to run on ANY of my bikes, specially if I was in a harsher/dustier environment like SA or Australia outback.
Sounds like maybe I must rest my case but still do not logically understand how if you reduce the filtering surface face area you are going to get better airflow??? Yes they have increased actual filtering area internally withe thr tubes but unless there is some venturi effect how does more air get through??? As I say I service my K&N very regularly and have run a pre-filter with it. But maybe must try thre Uni too.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... 'Fuck, what a trip!'

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcyclists.
BiG DoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 01:48 AM   #2820
Losper
Adventurer

When you buy the uni filter ( with prefilter ) it comes pre oilled ( the airfilter and the prefilter ). It is important to clean and remove the oil from the pre-filter. This means that only the actual air filter must be oiled. If the pre-filter is oiled as well it becomes to restrictive and not enough airflow passes thru. This combination works extremely well. The aifilter ( oiled ) acts as a filter for small dust particles and the pre-filter ( not oiled ) act as a filter for bigger pieces like leaves, bugs, flies etc.
I did a lot of riding in desert sand about 3 weeks ago. When I got back home I took out the filter and had a look. On the inside of the air filter ( oiled ) there was about a 10mm thick layer of sand and on the inside of the airbox there was zero dust. It was completely clean. This means that the Unifilter did exactly what it was suppose to do, keep the engine clean from dust.
BTW, I actually own 2 HP2's. The one has the unifilter with prefilter sistem and the other bike has a K&N filter ( also with uni-prefilter ) attached. The bike with the complete unifilter sistem performs better.

Losper screwed with this post 06-03-2011 at 02:59 AM