Oddometer: 4,949
Splish splash

Mr. Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:45 AM   #3527
Hendo
TrackMaster

Oddometer: 66
On the road

Farcall I am at Niagara dam till Monday the fith and from there we move to Malcom dam just 12k's east of Leonara.
No fixed address doing a bit of prospecting, I have the truck, van and hp2.
On the way through call in.
Good to see you have a real enduro bike now!
Cheers Hendo

Husky 650 Terra
BMW 90/6
Hendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:38 AM   #3528
noelm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
I road registered mine last Friday - couldn't keep me off it Saturday and due to other commitments was only able to ride for a few hours on Sunday. Should have bought one of these a loooong time ago. Have fun Shane - and Mike, I'll see you when you get to the Tanami. Cheers Noel
Old 05-01-2013, 10:29 PM   #3529
Hendo
TrackMaster

Oddometer: 66
No fixed address

Noel it's good to see you are wraped in the hp2, I have had my hp2 since 2005 and still look forward to riding it every day and at the moment the riding is serious off road bush bashing where there are no roads and some old tracks from previous prospectors, it's a great bike for this stuf.
I found a another piece of the yellow stuf this morning so it's been a good day but it's f/hot and the flys a are very bad.
Cheers Hendo

Husky 650 Terra
BMW 90/6
Hendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:06 PM   #3530
mike cummins
OUTBACK RIDER

Oddometer: 707
hp2

Have you ever got home from a ride only to want to clean your bike and then make plans to ride again. We had the best trip and the hp2 did not miss a beat. Sydney to innaminka via cameron corner, we ran our anzac ceremony at 4am at the surveyors plaque then the next day we headed for innaminka. We camped by the cooper creek and eat great food and drank lots of red. I left my mates as they were going another direction and rode down to lyndhurst via the dillion track ( strezlecki track) then on to arkaroola for the night. I was always scared about riding the tracks on my own as if you go down u are on your own. I rode like i stole it and handled the crazy sandy truck tracks with ease on the hp2. Its a fantastic machine . The old strez and the merty merty were fast and fun and big speeds were possible with wide tracks and good visibility. I left arkaroola and rode into yunta and then met the guys in broken hill where we got on it and had lots of laughs. I rode back via orange from cobar and again the bike didnt miss a beat and the fuel economy was unbelievable . So all in all my riding really improved and we had awesome fun and cant wait to ride again. For my aussie mates thinking of riding that way , the dirt part of the journey is not suitable to inexperienced riders . We passed many guys out there who were ill equipped for the trip and had too little experience in the dirt. We are all just learners but some guys were struggling. Back to the hp2, while in the bush i found myself thinking about what would happen if the bike broke down....Which led me to thinking about an r80gs rebuild with carbs , ohlins all round and twin shock rear and 1000 cc kits etc.... things like carbies and kick starts and such make me feel like i could in some way save myself in the bush.
mike cummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:49 PM   #3531
michnus
Vagabond, yes I try!

Oddometer: 1,094
Mike have some faith in technology.

FI have been around for what, 30years if not longer. I have in fact never heard of FI go bust. Carbs are more likely to give you shit.
I have swopped the air shock on my HP for a normal coil setup only becasue on a coil you will still get home unlike on an air shock.
What else on an HP can go wrong? It is oil cooled so no wate pumps and such iffy stuff. You have a shaft that is quite reliable and tubeless tyres.
We have done 11 months from South Africa to Europe on our Dakar's and the shit I had to fix was waterpumps and shocks. Amd I had to replace a petrol pump in Ethiopia. That was due to their dirty fuel. It was more like ligjt muddy water than petrol. Had to use coffee filters to filter the petrol.
If it was not for the damn Egyptians and their need for a 200% value on the bike for the Carne I would have used our 1200's or the HP. Our journey to date we clocked 37000km and it was not the normal highway route. The bikes took a lot of abuse. But still they lasted.
www.pikipiki.co.za
michnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:35 PM   #3532
mike cummins
OUTBACK RIDER

hp2

@ noelm, already home brother
@michnus, ya your right, i suppose the way to go would also be to use lithium bats and carry 2 as there is no kickstart. My hp2 has berringer clutch and brake assemblys , hpn tank, acropovic race system, woodys wheels, c2p rear shock, touratech guards on heads, and wp works forks. it absolutely handles well . i think my concern is that i ride my bike hard in remote places and feel if it broke down i would be kind rooted. However if you say the FI is more reliable then that gives me more confidence.
Re the woodys wheels . Do you think the original rims would have been better being that they were tubless. I have never , touch wood, had to change a flat in the bush and it would have me working for a while to do it. Come to think of it i have never broke down on any of my bmw's.

mike cummins screwed with this post 05-04-2013 at 11:38 PM Reason: add
Old 05-04-2013, 11:37 PM   #3533
BiG DoM
African Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,437
Mike sounds awesome and I know your bike is nicely sorted for this kind of trip. Some of us are lucky to have access to outback, wilderness and veld for free reign of these beautiful machines I pity some who are boxed in.

Michnus - you still living the dream! When are you back so that we can give that new HP2 of yours a decent ride? Off on mine to the Wild Dog bash in Baviaanskloof on Thursday. Looks like National WD bash will be in your back yard in Kei later this year.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... 'Fuck, what a trip!'

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcyclists.
BiG DoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:40 PM   #3534
mike cummins
OUTBACK RIDER

by the way.

How many bmw hp2s are there in australia?
Old 05-04-2013, 11:47 PM   #3535
michnus
Vagabond, yes I try!

Bigdom every time I walk into the garage I hang my head and apologise profusely to my HP. Since we came back in Jan I haven't had the time to take it for a proper ride and now with the Nampo show starting the Monday I am missing the Baviaans bash. aaargh!

Maybe after that I will have more time. I just got a C2P shock for the HP and I am all sweety and wet from excitement to go give it a workout.

I can get a HPN tank but not sure if it is a good thing or not?
Old 05-04-2013, 11:49 PM   #3536
michnus
Vagabond, yes I try!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike cummins View Post
Can not be nore than 4 or 5
Old 05-05-2013, 12:12 AM   #3537
BiG DoM
African Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by michnus View Post
Bigdom every time I walk into the garage I hang my head and apologise profusely to my HP. Since we came back in Jan I haven't had the time to take it for a proper ride and now with the Nampo show starting the Monday I am missing the Baviaans bash. aaargh!

Maybe after that I will have more time. I just got a C2P shock for the HP and I am all sweety and wet from excitement to go give it a workout.

I can get a HPN tank but not sure if it is a good thing or not?
Pity you are not going to make Bavs. I thought you had an aversion to C2P? I in fact recommended to Mike that they were good. Must say I am also very happy with my Wilbers and WP front forks.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... 'Fuck, what a trip!'

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcyclists.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:24 AM   #3538
michnus
Vagabond, yes I try!

Yes and still have an aversion for the man.

Got this shock from one of Leo's friends that ordered it and never used it. So still brand spanking new and at a reduced price. Only reason other wise I would have gone the Wilbers route if this shock did not roll my way.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:35 AM   #3539
BiG DoM
African Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike cummins View Post
You tell us!

2910 produced for global market.

153 sold in South Africa but not sure how many still on the road but we manage to get 15-20 together on occassion.

Old 05-05-2013, 12:45 AM   #3540
michnus
Vagabond, yes I try!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiG DoM View Post
You tell us!

2910 produced for global market.

153 sold in South Africa but not sure how many still on the road but we manage to get 15-20 together on occassion.
Eish! I was under the impression there were around 300 in SA. Only 153!

If that is the case I am not riding my bike. Can not waste it and want to keep it for next 30 years at least! Or I will have to get a second one