Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2013, 08:12 PM   #3601
farcall
Bike-a-holic

Oddometer: 1,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by michnus View Post
Hello boys, I hope someone can assist.

My HP is quite thirsty on fuel. My normal GS1200 average around 19km/Liter or 44miles/Gallon. That is not hammering the bike, that is at around 140km/h. The HP never does the same at the same speed travelling with the 1200GS. The average is around 17km/L or 29miles/gallon.

While back i was travelling behind Metaljockey on his 640KTM at a steady 120km/h(65mph) and the bike only averaged 37mpg or 16km/L.

I have a foam pre filter that I just cleaned and it was quite dirty, could that possibly be part why the bike is so heavy on fuel?
Do you oil the pre-filter as well? And, have you tried it without the pre-filter?

I've only put 4 tankfuls thru my HP2 to date... so far, I'm getting an average 5.5l/hk or 18.2km/l or 51.4 imperial mpg. Approx 2/3 of the kms have been with a full load onboard with a mix of off-road and 120kph highway.
farcall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:27 AM   #3602
michnus
Vagabond, yes I try!

Oddometer: 1,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by farcall View Post
Do you oil the pre-filter as well? And, have you tried it without the pre-filter?

I've only put 4 tankfuls thru my HP2 to date... so far, I'm getting an average 5.5l/hk or 18.2km/l or 51.4 imperial mpg. Approx 2/3 of the kms have been with a full load onboard with a mix of off-road and 120kph highway.
I got the bike with the pre-filter and only took it out now as I am trying to find out what could make the bike use so much fuel. It was not oiled but very dirty. Hence my suspicion that it might cause the bike to run rich or something.

To get 18km/l I will have to go at 100km/h or less, not laden.
michnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:10 AM   #3603
Mav
Something witty...

Oddometer: 3,692
If it's using more fuel... Can smell unburnt fuel in the exhaust? That is, do you think it's running rich? Often a sign that either one of the coils is on the way out, or one of your lambda sensors is dying...

-------------------------
All the gear.. no idea!
Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 05:05 PM   #3604
OK Lucinda
n00b

Oddometer: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by michnus View Post
Hello boys, I hope someone can assist.

My HP is quite thirsty on fuel. My normal GS1200 average around 19km/Liter or 44miles/Gallon. That is not hammering the bike, that is at around 140km/h. The HP never does the same at the same speed travelling with the 1200GS. The average is around 17km/L or 29miles/gallon.

While back i was travelling behind Metaljockey on his 640KTM at a steady 120km/h(65mph) and the bike only averaged 37mpg or 16km/L.

I have a foam pre filter that I just cleaned and it was quite dirty, could that possibly be part why the bike is so heavy on fuel?
I've recently put 25,000 miles on my HP2 and 29 mpg is about right, with 60 lbs of gear plus me = 230 lbs total. I'm sometimes on TKC's (worse mileage, great tire) sometimes Heidenau (better mileage, scary tire).
OK Lucinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 05:36 PM   #3605
mike cummins
OUTBACK RIDER

Oddometer: 720
fuel

I get around 14.7 klms to the litre. I dont know how much I would get at say 100kph because who sits on speed limit anyway. One trick I have learned is when I run out of petrol, layyour bike over and shake some fuel into the pump side.. seems good for about 10 klms which finds a petrol station.
I reckon at speed limit of 100 I could get as much as 400kms from my hpn tank.
mike cummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:39 PM   #3606
OK Lucinda
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike cummins View Post
i know the world is in a state of flux at the moment, however its always good to have something to look forward too. If there is 3000 hp2 enduro's in the world, i reckon we could organise a HP2 meet somewhere. If i can get my bro's here in oz sorted for a meet then hopefully before life escapes me i would very much like to meet other hp2 owners overseas somewhere.

How about it guys? who is up for a catch up at a central location where the currency lends itself to a cheap holiday and some nice laid back riding , good wine and beer and food...
A overseas one here. I should arrive down there mid January.
Old 06-09-2013, 06:47 PM   #3607
mike cummins
OUTBACK RIDER

hp2 meeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by OK Lucinda View Post
A overseas one here. I should arrive down there mid January.
OK lucinda, hey dude we are meeting april next year in the flinders rangers so hope u are still around. We will be finalising the trip details by jan 2014 and be on our way from all parts by april. The flinders rangers is a beautiful part of australia so hope you can make it.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:35 PM   #3608
OK Lucinda
n00b

Quote:
OK lucinda, hey dude we are meeting april next year in the flinders rangers so hope u are still around. We will be finalising the trip details by jan 2014 and be on our way from all parts by april. The flinders rangers is a beautiful part of australia so hope you can make it.
Unfortunately I'll be gone (via Darwin) by then. But if you have some great route ideas for a month let me know! I haven't done any planning for Oz other than a rough time line rtw. I wonder how many other HP2's have gone around. I'd love to talk to someone else who has to share bike notes...
Old 06-10-2013, 12:14 AM   #3609
lurkin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by OK Lucinda View Post
Unfortunately I'll be gone (via Darwin) by then. But if you have some great route ideas for a month let me know! I haven't done any planning for Oz other than a rough time line rtw. I wonder how many other HP2's have gone around. I'd love to talk to someone else who has to share bike notes...
Sounds like your here over our summer which means the north is going to be bloody hot and wet ( tropics ) ,,, the best desert rides will just hot so I'd be looking at the bottom half of the country. Been coast to coast a few times now so pm me if you like with your dates and I can give you a few ideas
Old 06-10-2013, 06:04 AM   #3610
mike cummins
OUTBACK RIDER

rtw

if you are heading to timor , indo i can help you with some tips as im sure many riders here can. Mike 0418277128 or just come to beaches pizza bar in manly
Old 06-10-2013, 07:38 AM   #3611
OK Lucinda
n00b

Quote:
if you are heading to timor , indo i can help you with some tips as im sure many riders here can. Mike 0418277128 or just come to beaches pizza bar in manly
Thanks Mike, yes headed for Timor. See you at beaches pizza bar in six or seven months.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:31 PM   #3612
MoxNix
Stuttgart Germany

Oddometer: 1,165
Quick question (i'm away from my bike and my google-fu is weak) what is the diameter of the handlebar?

I need to order some RoxRisers and want to enusre I get the right size.

Also w/2" rise will I have to alter cables or brake lines?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 06-10-2013, 05:41 PM   #3613
farcall
Bike-a-holic

Oddometer: 1,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoxNix View Post
Quick question (i'm away from my bike and my google-fu is weak) what is the diameter of the handlebar?

Thanks,
Chris
Mine is 1 1/8" (aka Fat Bar). I presume it is OEM... looks like it is.

I'd be surprised if you needed to alter your cables or brake lines. Somewhere deep in this thread someone fitted extra tall risers (3"?) and reported no issue.
farcall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:08 PM   #3614
BROTOWNBOY
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoxNix View Post

Thanks,
Chris

I've original bars which measure about 29mm which I figure is about 1"1/16. 55mm Rox risers, which has the clutch cable near its limit. Hope this helps
BROTOWNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:13 PM   #3615
MoxNix
Stuttgart Germany

Oddometer: 1,165
^^^Thanks to both of you.