Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2013, 03:16 PM   #3856
woody's wheel works
Built to Last

Oddometer: 3,261
Help,,,,fellow inmate needs final drivehor his HP-2,,,,!!!!

Folks,,,just got an e-mail from fellow inmate Mike Folley...he owns Striking Vikings ol yellow beast...it's stranded inBennet Texas with major debris in final drive from blown drive shaft bearing...

I'm in Tokyo heading back to Denver later today

Holler if ya can help etc,,,he sent UA bunch of pics and I can assure it looks like a genuine mess in there
Gotta pack...soon
Sayonara

Woody
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 07:37 AM   #3857
OK Lucinda
nOOb

Oddometer: 150
Salar de Uyuni, Bolivia

I've known for a while that I might get to the Salar too late and sure enough it's underwater. The rainy season has started big time and the next four riders I know of behind me are re-routing into Chile and passing on Bolivia. I should have done the same but I had an arrangement for a lady friend from Guatemala to visit me in La Paz for a few days and that seemed like the most important thing at the time.

OK Lucinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 05:57 AM   #3858
OK Lucinda
nOOb

Seasons greetings HP2 brothers...

Currently going south on Ruta 40, Argentina. Crossing the border from Bolivia to Argentina was a huge psychological lift. But the rains are getting worse here south of Salta. It rains really hard!

Old 12-31-2013, 08:14 AM   #3859
BiG DoM
African Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by OK Lucinda View Post
Currently going south on Ruta 40, Argentina. Crossing the border from Bolivia to Argentina was a huge psychological lift. But the rains are getting worse here south of Salta. It rains really hard!

All the best for 2014 as well

What are your chances of getting to see some of the Dakar Rally racing? Would be on my itinery for sure

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... 'Fuck, what a trip!'

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcyclists.
BiG DoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 10:14 AM   #3860
alfaris
MOTERO TORERO

Oddometer: 1,131

Old 12-31-2013, 02:22 PM   #3861
lousot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
tires

Who's running tkc80 do you like them and what size thank you
Old 12-31-2013, 02:44 PM   #3862
GSMarc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 876
Congrats Alfaris, your sticker "JMLPEF" still in place on windscreen
2005 HP2E
2000 R1150GS (fortunately sold)
GSMarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 04:15 PM   #3863
OK Lucinda
nOOb

Quote:
Originally Posted by lousot View Post
I've used a couple of pairs in the last while. They're pretty good all-around but a bit primitive. The HP2 is too much bike for them i.m.o but this is a contentious issue. Adam Shani went rtw on an HP2 on exclusively TKC's. I have no idea how he did it.

I use Heidenau K60's and love/hate them. They're not technical, next to useless in sand, and will toss you off if you're on dirty wet pavement which in latin America is the norm when not on dirt. But I can rely on the wear and strength. The rubber is incredibly hard. Really no choice.

This is just from the perspective of doing big distances in more remote places. Which is what I think the HP2 excels at. And why I post nice pictures here, to hopefully inspire people to consider the HP2 as the ultimate rtw bike. If you can travel light.

Happy New Year everyone. It's 9:15 pm, I'm in a small village on Ruta 40 right off the main square, the crowds are building, the women look absolutely gorgeous, some tops are off already, and I'm told that in a couple of hours things are going to be very crazy here!
Old 12-31-2013, 11:02 PM   #3864
BiG DoM
African Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lousot View Post
TKC80's work great on the HP2 IMHO - this is what they came out with after all. There are though now more options in that size on the market than I think there used to be - due to the big dually adventure market growing. The TKC up front is still often a preferred tyre for me but I find the rear does not last the way I ride. The Karoo is the same or very similar in this respect. I do not like the new Heidi rear K60 with the strip down the centre (clearly just there to restrict block flex). An excellent tyre we are using alot on this side of the pond are the Mitas range. For the HP2 the E07 is very similar but better than the K60 for a 50/50 tyre ... AND the tyre of choice for me for a more off road orientated tread but still very good on the hard stuff is the MITAS E09. This tyre was developed for the Paris Dakar race and is strong and durable but also offers excellent grip and hook up. If you can get it try it - you will not look back.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... 'Fuck, what a trip!'

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcyclists.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:59 PM   #3865
noelm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
I don't like TKC80's on the R12GS or the HP2 - don't like the donkdonkdonk .......... noise created by the tread pattern when traveling on bitumen, which causes excess vibration through to the bars and I also think they are too grippy on the rear on gravel as I like a little bit of slide if needed.

I currently use Heidenaeu K60 or Mitas E07. To quote OK Lucinda, the K60's "will toss you off if you're on dirty wet pavement".

The Mitas E07 are a bit softer rubber but in my opinion fine. I have done around 25000 k on a combination of both on around 50/50 dirt/bitumen.

noelm screwed with this post 01-01-2014 at 02:07 AM
noelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 07:25 AM   #3866
Some Dude
what attitude problem???

Oddometer: 4,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiG DoM View Post
TKC80's work great on the HP2 IMHO - this is what they came out with after all. There are though now more options in that size on the market than I think there used to be - due to the big dually adventure market growing. The TKC up front is still often a preferred tyre for me but I find the rear does not last the way I ride. The Karoo is the same or very similar in this respect. I do not like the new Heidi rear K60 with the strip down the centre (clearly just there to restrict block flex). An excellent tyre we are using alot on this side of the pond are the Mitas range. For the HP2 the E07 is very similar but better than the K60 for a 50/50 tyre ... AND the tyre of choice for me for a more off road orientated tread but still very good on the hard stuff is the MITAS E09. This tyre was developed for the Paris Dakar race and is strong and durable but also offers excellent grip and hook up. If you can get it try it - you will not look back.
Here in the USA and I'm pretty certain worldwide they were equipped with Metzler Karoo 2 which is my #1 choice for a tubeless HP2 E oem tire. I tried the TKC 80 and the HP2 E just like to spin the rear up and the front TKC 80 tubeless is down right dangerous IMHO. I have seen two different instances where a TKC 80 "tubeless" de-beaded itself immediately upon airing down not to mention the front has a lot less grip both on and off the road then the 21" Karoo in my experiences. TKC's work great on the big Adventures and still a very hard tire to beat performance/mileage ratio on a 550-650lb Adv bike but there are better choices for the HP2 E I think.

Keep up the posts OK Lucinda! Glad to see it working out so well for you. I blew through the same area on S America with only 3 weeks to spend, will get back down there some day for an extended visit.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:28 AM   #3867
BiG DoM
African Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Dude View Post
Here in the USA and I'm pretty certain worldwide they were equipped with Metzler Karoo 2 which is my #1 choice for a tubeless HP2 E oem tire. I tried the TKC 80 and the HP2 E just like to spin the rear up and the front TKC 80 tubeless is down right dangerous IMHO. I have seen two different instances where a TKC 80 "tubeless" de-beaded itself immediately upon airing down not to mention the front has a lot less grip both on and off the road then the 21" Karoo in my experiences. TKC's work great on the big Adventures and still a very hard tire to beat performance/mileage ratio on a 550-650lb Adv bike but there are better choices for the HP2 E I think.

Keep up the posts OK Lucinda! Glad to see it working out so well for you. I blew through the same area on S America with only 3 weeks to spend, will get back down there some day for an extended visit.
You may well be right regarding the Karoo's and I may have been thinking of my Adventure that came with the TKC's. I have though never had an issue with TKC's up front and I often deflate - that said I have recently gone over to tubed and 18' rear specifically due to airing down and could run the Dunlop Rally Raid. I find the Karoo really too soft with very poor mileage - even worse than the TKC rear. For me the Mitas ticks the boxes at present.

Old 01-01-2014, 11:34 AM   #3868
Rossb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
I use a TKC on the front and a Mitas E09 rear. Good combination IMHO
Rossb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:08 PM   #3869
BiG DoM
African Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossb View Post
I use a TKC on the front and a Mitas E09 rear. Good combination IMHO
Yeah that me at the moment too

Old 01-01-2014, 01:24 PM   #3870
lousot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
thanks for the input. Going to do alot of gravel roads im going to go with TKC80