User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Today, 11:07 AM   #1
Brian011952 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
Supersprox warranty vs. RK Chains Warranty

Just thought I should pass on my impressions after dealing with Supersprox and RK Chains on a warranty issue.

I bought the lifetime warranty set including the RK X-ring chain about a year ago. A little over 6000 miles later, the chain was .010 undersized on the rollers, and the rear sprocket's rivets were allowing movement between the aluminum ring and the steel outer sprocket. The sprocket wasn't worn and had held up very well on the teeth, but was definitely loose enough that I could rock the outer ring independently with just my fingers.

To be fair, this is the best wearing sprocket I've had so far, and I'm impressed with the durability as far as wear goes. I've read enough reviews to know the rivets loosening seems to be an anomaly. Even if Supersprox didn't offer the lifetime guarantee, I'd have purchased a second one for the durability alone. But, I had purchased their warranty, so I wanted to see if they'd stand behind their product.

I called and described the issue to them. The needed to see the sprocket, so they asked me to send it in. I still needed the bike for my commute, so I paid up front for a replacement sprocket and then when I received it, I sent in my old sprocket. I just spoke to them on the phone, and they agreed to refund the purchase and warranty the sprocket due to the loose rivets. My bike is a Husaberg FE570S. I'm very happy to report that the Supersprox warranty is good.

Sadly, I cannot say the same for the RK Chain. I contacted RK in regard to the worn rollers. They requested pictures of the measurements. I provided them with pictures of the sprockets and the sliders on the bike. They then informed me the chain was worn because of metal contact. How the rollers don't contact metal would be a mystery to me? The sliders have always been in place and even replaced once, so there has never been a bit of metal contact for the chain side plates. Finally, after a lot of run around and mumbo jumbo, they agreed to partially warranty the chain, and they offered me a replacement at "their cost." Then, the told me "their cost." I laughed and hung up. Their stated retail price was so inflated that when they quoted me "their cost," it was the same exact price I originally had paid for their chain and was less than $10 from what I can purchase the chain at from retailers today.

I bought a new DID chain, bought a second new front sprocket from Supersprox, and decided I like doing business with companies like Supersprox who are honest and back their product, and I don't like slimy guarantee weasels like the one I dealt with at RK who try to run a game with their guarantee.

Thank you Supersprox for the good customer service.
Brian011952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:13 PM   #2
bisbonian
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 981
You don't really give enough information.

For instance, who provided the "lifetime warranty" of this chain? I don't see one available from RK, so was it the retailer who offered the warranty?

If the retailer offered the warranty, then why are you contacting the manufacturer directly?

The RK warranty is spelled out pretty well on their website and calls for 20,000 mile street warranty or 1 year dirt, I would imagine this is based on what model chain you get but have no idea. The warranty also specifies that any refund will be pro-rated.

bisbonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:32 PM   #3
Brian011952 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian011952 View Post
Just thought I should pass on my impressions after dealing with Supersprox and RK Chains on a warranty issue.

I bought the lifetime warranty set including the RK X-ring chain about a year ago. A little over 6000 miles later, the chain was .010 undersized on the rollers, and the rear sprocket's rivets were allowing movement between the aluminum ring and the steel outer sprocket. The sprocket wasn't worn and had held up very well on the teeth, but was definitely loose enough that I could rock the outer ring independently with just my fingers.

To be fair, this is the best wearing sprocket I've had so far, and I'm impressed with the durability as far as wear goes. I've read enough reviews to know the rivets loosening seems to be an anomaly. Even if Supersprox didn't offer the lifetime guarantee, I'd have purchased a second one for the durability alone. But, I had purchased their warranty, so I wanted to see if they'd stand behind their product.

I called and described the issue to them. The needed to see the sprocket, so they asked me to send it in. I still needed the bike for my commute, so I paid up front for a replacement sprocket and then when I received it, I sent in my old sprocket. I just spoke to them on the phone, and they agreed to refund the purchase and warranty the sprocket due to the loose rivets. My bike is a Husaberg FE570S. I'm very happy to report that the Supersprox warranty is good.

Sadly, I cannot say the same for the RK Chain. I contacted RK in regard to the worn rollers. They requested pictures of the measurements. I provided them with pictures of the sprockets and the sliders on the bike. They then informed me the chain was worn because of metal contact. How the rollers don't contact metal would be a mystery to me? The sliders have always been in place and even replaced once, so there has never been a bit of metal contact for the chain side plates. Finally, after a lot of run around and mumbo jumbo, they agreed to partially warranty the chain, and they offered me a replacement at "their cost." Then, the told me "their cost." I laughed and hung up. Their stated retail price was so inflated that when they quoted me "their cost," it was the same exact price I originally had paid for their chain and was less than $10 from what I can purchase the chain at from retailers today.

I bought a new DID chain, bought a second new front sprocket from Supersprox, and decided I like doing business with companies like Supersprox who are honest and back their product, and I don't like slimy guarantee weasels like the one I dealt with at RK who try to run a game with their guarantee.

Thank you Supersprox for the good customer service.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisbonian View Post
You don't really give enough information.

For instance, who provided the "lifetime warranty" of this chain? I don't see one available from RK, so was it the retailer who offered the warranty?

If the retailer offered the warranty, then why are you contacting the manufacturer directly?

The RK warranty is spelled out pretty well on their website and calls for 20,000 mile street warranty or 1 year dirt, I would imagine this is based on what model chain you get but have no idea. The warranty also specifies that any refund will be pro-rated.
You are sort of correct, sorry. The RK Warranty is 20,000 or one year for dirt. The chain and sprocket kit was a package deal, but RK's Warranty was with RK and not Supersprox. Since they were purchased together, I kind of assumed everyone would see I had the chain on the bike for 6000 miles, it was just at a year old, and the Husaberg FE570S is an enduro model. Either way it was figured, 20,000 miles or one year, the chain was still within the warranty period.

Brian011952 screwed with this post Today at 03:41 PM
Old Today, 02:08 PM   #4
X1Glider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 517
I had good luck with the Supersprox and the stock Honda chain on my old CRF450X so I used the warranty on a new one when it was becoming shark toothed. They stood behind it for me as well. So I ordered the RK and a new front sprocket at the same time. I didn't get to test the RK warranty because the chain was still in spec when I sold the bike.

I thought the RK was a good chain though. My riding areas are 95% sandy/5%mud and it always looked good and the stretch was within service limits when I sold it.

Would DID be any better, warranty-wise? IDK. To me, it's a wear item so I would never think to bitch about it.

But I am due to replace the chain and sprockets on my Ninja 1000 so I was going to go to Supersprox anyway for my first sprocket swap on the Kawi. RK too since I was satisfied with it on the 450. And they sold both as a package deal. But I see they also offer DID.
Old Today, 02:32 PM   #5
2 SPOT
wannabe

Oddometer: 2,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian011952 View Post
To be fair, this is the best wearing sprocket I've had so far, and I'm impressed with the durability as far as wear goes.

i havent tried ironman yet and it might be my next sprocket,, just curious if you have.
2 SPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:50 PM   #6
X1Glider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 SPOT View Post
i havent tried ironman yet and it might be my next sprocket,, just curious if you have.
Lots of D37 racers in SoCal are using Ironman sprox. All desert for them and they swear they are the best lasting but they are heavier.
Old Today, 03:45 PM   #7
Brian011952 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 SPOT View Post
No, I haven't. I'm pretty happy with the Supersprox. I think the rivet issue was not normal, but still, 6000 miles for me is about twice what I usually get out of a sprocket, and with the free replacement, I figure that'll end up being 12,000 miles at least. I'll be pretty darn happy with that amount of wear out of any sprocket.