User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2014, 05:20 PM   #1
Cactus Dave OP
Born to Argue

Oddometer: 690
Alternative to Badlands Pro . . . ?

Ok, so I see on the Klim website that they are offering the Badlands Pro jacket for $200 off . . . . I'm interested and really want to buy this bad ass jacket, if I can . . . .

I call Klim and discover that the price on the website, $699.99, is $200 off the regular price of $899.99.

Really? Is the Klim truly worth 2 - 3x what other similar jackets sell for? No doubt it is quality stuff, but the premium seems outrageous.

So, my question to the collective asylum is what have y'all found to be decent, eminently serviceable and useable alternatives? There is the Kathmandu,, the Kilimanjaro, the Rev'it Sand 2 . . . .

I want (1) waterproof; (2) real impact protection; (3) good ventilation; (4) quality construction such that it does not unravel or fall apart sua sponte; realistic, meaningful features (pockets, adjustability, etc). There is obviously a balance to be struck. But an excessive premium price, with a very real risk of fit issues leads me to seek the collective wisdom of the Asylum. I recognize this is a bit akin to a "oil" thread, but succinct, meaningful recommendations are appreciated.

Let the flaming begin . . . .

Cheers,

Dave
Cactus Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 06:05 PM   #2
Xan13x
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Dave View Post
Ok, so I see on the Klim website that they are offering the Badlands Pro jacket for $200 off . . . . I'm interested and really want to buy this bad ass jacket, if I can . . . .

I call Klim and discover that the price on the website, $699.99, is $200 off the regular price of $899.99.

Really? Is the Klim truly worth 2 - 3x what other similar jackets sell for? No doubt it is quality stuff, but the premium seems outrageous.

So, my question to the collective asylum is what have y'all found to be decent, eminently serviceable and useable alternatives? There is the Kathmandu,, the Kilimanjaro, the Rev'it Sand 2 . . . .

I want (1) waterproof; (2) real impact protection; (3) good ventilation; (4) quality construction such that it does not unravel or fall apart sua sponte; realistic, meaningful features (pockets, adjustability, etc). There is obviously a balance to be struck. But an excessive premium price, with a very real risk of fit issues leads me to seek the collective wisdom of the Asylum. I recognize this is a bit akin to a "oil" thread, but succinct, meaningful recommendations are appreciated.

Let the flaming begin . . . .

Cheers,

Dave
The jackets you listed aren't comparable. The Badlands Pro, along with Poseidon GTX, Rukka Cosmic, etc., use Gore-Tex Pro, which is waterproof on the outside. All of the $500 range jackets have a waterproof liner.

The difference is that a Gore-Tex Pro jacket will stay completely dry on the outside, while anything less will get wet on the outside (and heavy) but keep you dry with a liner. There's nothing wrong with a waterproof liner, it's certainly cheaper, but comparing the around $500 dollar jackets with the $700-$1000 dollar Gore-Tex Pro is apples to oranges.

To your "which of the $500 range jackets are the best", a lot of people like the latitude, though it seems to be somewhat lacking in the ventilation department, depending on your heat tolerance and how warm it gets where you are.

The Natural State.... Where all roads less than four lanes qualify as an adventure.
Xan13x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:01 PM   #3
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,652
No worries on the current Latitude jacket. Klim has added vents to the chest pockets which actually make it vent better than the Badlands since it has more vents now.
IBA #50489
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:43 PM   #4
'05Train
Mind is not for rent

Oddometer: 940
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikertrash View Post
No worries on the current Latitude jacket. Klim has added vents to the chest pockets which actually make it vent better than the Badlands since it has more vents now.
Yup. Unless you're riding only on the gnarliest of single-tracks, the Latitude Misano is your jacket.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:00 PM   #5
XtreemLEE
Member #476

Oddometer: 1,965
I've had great result with First Gear products, gore tex is overkill and I've ridden in all day rains...
"And the freedom of speech we try to defend goes to the core of one of my very deepest beliefs: the best information is uncovered with open, spirited debate. Better to grow thicker skin than to risk repressing information--just ask John Adams and Thomas Jefferson." Chris Macaskill
XtreemLEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 09:38 PM   #6
James Adams
Misplaced

Oddometer: 8,549
I'm sure you read all of the other "is Klim worth it?" threads already

You get what you pay for. I had a Sand 2 suit that I sold because the Badlands is twice as good for me.

If you don't have a local place where you can try something on, buy from RevZilla or another vendor that will make it easy to exchange if you need to try a different size. The fact that you may not be able to try something on isn't really a valid excuse for anyone in the US anymore.
James Adams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 01:45 AM   #7
Simonhantler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
rukka all the way

ive got rukka cosmic and klim BP. rukka better quality by a fair bit. just make sure you get the right rukka for the climate. cosmic great for nz as it doesnt get to hot, klim BP better in hot wetaher but not as well made all round.
Old 09-17-2014, 02:59 AM   #8
Lc8grrr
Vtwin madness

Oddometer: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xan13x View Post
The jackets you listed aren't comparable. The Badlands Pro, along with Poseidon GTX, Rukka Cosmic, etc., use Gore-Tex Pro, which is waterproof on the outside. All of the $500 range jackets have a waterproof liner.

The difference is that a Gore-Tex Pro jacket will stay completely dry on the outside, while anything less will get wet on the outside (and heavy) but keep you dry with a liner. There's nothing wrong with a waterproof liner, it's certainly cheaper, but comparing the around $500 dollar jackets with the $700-$1000 dollar Gore-Tex Pro is apples to oranges.

To your "which of the $500 range jackets are the best", a lot of people like the latitude, though it seems to be somewhat lacking in the ventilation department, depending on your heat tolerance and how warm it gets where you are.
This is great until you tear the outer Gore-tex layer and the jacket has a hole in it.. the abrasion resistent outer should be there to protect the Gore-tex inner. Got a tear from a fall, still dry. They are probably a great jacket but I know I will damage it eventually.
Old 09-17-2014, 04:32 AM   #9
GSDonovan
There and back again

Oddometer: 852
Quote:
All of the $500 range jackets have a waterproof liner.

Not true....the Klim Overland has an outer Goretex shell same as their other jackets and its only $430 retail.
GSDonovan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 04:46 AM   #10
Xan13x
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDonovan View Post
Not true....the Klim Overland has an outer Goretex shell same as their other jackets and its only $430 retail.
That's two layer Gore-Tex, not three.

The Natural State.... Where all roads less than four lanes qualify as an adventure.
Xan13x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 05:55 AM   #11
GSDonovan
There and back again

Oddometer: 852
Quote:
That's two layer Gore-Tex, not three.
The tag on the jacket describes 3 layers..."outer fabric", "Gore-Tex membrane" and "Inner lining"....are these not the layers you're referring to?
GSDonovan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 06:21 AM   #12
Navy Chief
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,519
Does anybody know if the Latitude 840 has the added chest vents? I can't find a reference to them on the Revzilla website for either of the Latitude jackets..

Thanks!
Navy Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 06:39 AM   #13
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikertrash View Post
Bummer on the horizontal rear vent that a camelbak blocks though
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 06:41 AM   #14
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDonovan View Post
The tag on the jacket describes 3 layers..."outer fabric", "Gore-Tex membrane" and "Inner lining"....are these not the layers you're referring to?
3 layer (or, 2) is the outer fabric itself that is laminated together. It doesn't count the mesh liner.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 06:44 AM   #15
Cactus Dave OP
Born to Argue

Oddometer: 690
Great comments, suggestions and responses. Thank you.

I have read the other "is-Klim-worth-it" threads, altho' I must admit some became interminably long and my attention to detail waned.

Lots to consider and balance. The Latitude option is very real. And sizing is a real concern as I rarely conform to manufacturer's concepts of "standard" folk vis--vis sizing.

Which ever way I go, I'll follow up and post some comments.

Thanks again.

Cheers,

Dave
Cactus Dave is offline   Reply With Quote