Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2010, 02:37 PM   #1501
nigelcorn
Wannabe.

Oddometer: 785
Maybe we could continue the Iphone talking in another thread and leave this one to pictures about camping setups?
nigelcorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 06:07 PM   #1502
theothersean
dirty boy

Oddometer: 943
its great to see the bundle ont he bikes, but better to see 2 pics, the bundle on the bike and all of the gear set up and spreade out .

I'll try to get some pics this weekend of our set up . and pack job
04 prairie 700 (plow duty)
theothersean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 06:07 PM   #1503
Vic-klr
TEETET Aventuras T el T

Oddometer: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelcorn
Maybe we could continue the Iphone talking in another thread and leave this one to pictures about camping setups?

jajaja your are right man sorry for the interruption, more pic's pleas
Old 07-01-2010, 05:16 AM   #1504
rifflebox
Yee Haw!

Oddometer: 203
Camping Pix

This is from a recent overnight trip to Lassen NP in California. There is room to add more clothes for an extended trip. The idea was to try to pack everything I would need for an extended trip except extra clothes.

rifflebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 07:45 AM   #1505
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Oddometer: 2,097
Recent trip around Northern Ontario and around Lake Abitibi thru Quebec

Stop in Chochrane

Camping at Ivanhoe Provincial Park
2003 KLR 650 Alaskan Adventure
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Lappeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 12:46 AM   #1506
THE BONE SHAKER
Adventure Tourer

Oddometer: 269
whats with the bmw badge on the klr?
THE BONE SHAKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 01:27 AM   #1507
motosaint
LTLYLTL!

Oddometer: 566
It's always the Beemmer owners...

I guess when you have a cooking set like that, you're going to need to attach 20 bags on your bike for all your other stuff too

Here's my setup that carried me for a month in Mexico.

My setup carried me for a month in Mexico. Had everything I needed. I might get a tank bag so I can keep a DSLR closer. I even had a pair of khakis, dress shirt/shoes for hittin' the town!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownst1100
I've worked pretty hard getting my settup right. I don't like to suffer and enjoy cooking a nice healthy meal.

[IMG][/IMG]

Everything in the pictures below pack nicely on the GSA with some room to spare.

[IMG][/IMG]

There are a few items that i've made myself as most of the time no one makes what I want for camping.

[IMG][/IMG]

I have a coulple of friends I travel with and combined with what they bring along we always camp in style.

For more pictures check out my Webshots below. Plenty of albums with pictures of how we camp.

And one more of my cooking settup.

[IMG][/IMG]

My Adventures

Trip through the American Northwest - Maybe - 2010
San Francisco to San Diego Quickly - 2010
My First Big Mexican Ride - 2009
Northern California for 4 Days - 2008

Current Ride
Suzuki 2002 - DR650 (Anna)

MSF BRC Graduate '07
motosaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 03:53 AM   #1508
boy60
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 698
table

Where did you fit that table. Would lov eto be able to carry it along
Quote:
Originally Posted by motosaint
I guess when you have a cooking set like that, you're going to need to attach 20 bags on your bike for all your other stuff too

Here's my setup that carried me for a month in Mexico.

My setup carried me for a month in Mexico. Had everything I needed. I might get a tank bag so I can keep a DSLR closer. I even had a pair of khakis, dress shirt/shoes for hittin' the town!
boy60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 04:40 AM   #1509
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Oddometer: 2,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE BONE SHAKER
whats with the bmw badge on the klr?
It actually says KLR on the sticker gets a lot of people running over...oh you have BMW...ah no
2003 KLR 650 Alaskan Adventure
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Lappeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:09 AM   #1510
Wulf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
I am trying motorcycle camping for the first time this year and it has been a good experience so far. Most of my gear is the regular variety for occasional camping. I camp maybe 4-6 a season and didn't really want to spend a lot of money and wasn't even sure if I was going to like it or not. I also try to camp when the weather is nice so I usually don't camp in gale-force winds or many days with rain. I had a few rain showers already and the tent holds up just fine. It's a nice size for one person and has room for all my gear and a twin air mattress. You can put a camp chair inside and sit up comfortably. You can also stand up in it with just a bit of bending over. Very nice when you're changing clothes. Lots of ventilation as well and easy to set up.

Coleman 9 x 7 tent - $50
Tarp - $10
Coleman sleeping bag - $35
Intex air mattress - $20
Intex inflatable camp pillow - $6
Seal Line 55 liter dry bags (2) - $80
Ozark Trial camp chair - $16
Coleman stove - $35
Nalgene collapsible water container - $16
Master lock lashing straps - $6

I already had the stove from regular camping. I was thinking of getting a Jetboil but didn't really want to spend another $100. With a small pan, it works fine for heating up canned foods and water for coffee. Space is not really an issue and it works great. The air mattress is very comfortable. I use a 12V air pump hooked up to my bike and it inflates within minutes.

The camp chair is essential. It was a bit more than the cheapest one at Walmart but this is a great size and has reinforcements in the seating area so you don't sink in very much. It's so nice to have support for your back after you sat on the bike all day. It's not heavy at all and doesn't take up much room either.

On the bike, the left dry bag has the tent, air mattress and tarp. Right bag has the sleeping bag and the camp chair is on top. This arrangement still allows the top case to easily open.

The smaller right side case has all other camping equipment, food, plates, pan, mug, utensils etc. The left side bag has my clothes and I can fit enough in there for about a week. I don't really need a lot of clothes when camping. The top case has all the other usual motorcycle stuff I always carry like gloves, sun glasses, chain lube, camera and much more.

The lashing straps work great and the chair on top makes it stable for securing the two separate dry bags. It only takes a few minutes to load the bike.

Again, nothing high-tech or expensive but it is working out fine for me. Space and weight is not really an issue on the V-Strom for me as I don't do any challenging off-roading or high speed riding. It doesn't really make a difference if the total weight of the bike, myself and gear is 750 or 770 pounds. The DL650 still has plenty of power with all this gear loaded (I am about 200 lbs).

I would love to have a $15K bike, aluminum cases and other farkles for $3-4K and spend $1k+ on cool camping gear but don't have $20K+ to spend. The V-Strom 650, farkles, luggage and camp gear for about $9K new works fine for me. Perhaps not for a trip around the world, through the deserts of Africa or down to Tierra del Fuego but it works fine for travel anywhere in the US and Canada. It's nice to dream though. :)

All you see in this picture is carried on my bike. Except the fire pit, fire wood and table of course.

A few more pictures here:
http://wulfers.net/motorcycle/pictur...010/index.html

Wulf screwed with this post 07-06-2010 at 12:05 PM
Wulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 01:10 PM   #1511
RevBill
Irreverent Reverend

Oddometer: 2,104
.. nice setup Wulf ..

.. only thing I noticed was you could flip those drybags around and run the bungee through the "handle" that they form when you close them (provided yours close in that manner) .. just in case anything starts adjusting itself ..
RevBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 01:18 PM   #1512
Wulf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevBill
.. only thing I noticed was you could flip those drybags around and run the bungee through the "handle" that they form when you close them (provided yours close in that manner) .. just in case anything starts adjusting itself ..
Good idea. I rode 1,300 miles in 4 days and they never moved. I only had to tighten the straps a few hours into riding but it never felt like they would ever fall off. The air-tight dry bags and frame of the chair makes the entire load easy to compress enough so it stays firm in place.
Wulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:27 PM   #1513
thevulture
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
I did a test run this weekend with my gear. This is the stuff I'm bringing cross-country. My sleeping bag, pad, clothes, stove, etc are all in the North Face bag. My tent is on top. Camera, tools, pump, patch kit are all in the tank bag.
thevulture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 07:10 PM   #1514
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,856
I think this one is going to be my final answer.

Kriega US-20 (small tent, Big Agnes IAC long mummy, sleeping bag, towel, toiletries in the main sack, patch kit in the top pouch, 7x9 tarp in the bottom pocket, camp shoes and 2 MSR fuel bottles strapped to the side)

Wolfman Enduro saddle bags
muffler side - clothes in waterproof sack, rain jacket
left side - mess kit, stove, stove fuel, tools, rain pants with room to spare.

A few other small odds and ends in my tank bag, really just need to come up with a non-intrusive way to carry a set of spare tubes and I'll be happy finally.
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 07:36 PM   #1515
Shakeyhands
Goober

Oddometer: 597
My 990 during a 10 day trip to the South East. Left pannier held food, cups, plate, utensils, pots and stove. Right Pannier was sleeping bag, pad, fuel, first aid, extra tubes, oil and some tools, rear pannier was rain gear, laptop etc. One dry bag was clothes and the other was tent, shoes and huge pillow. My back pack with CamelBack is resting on top of the dry bags.

Ride Report including the KLR going 30 feet down the hill... read at your own risk

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=583573

KTM 990 ADV

Honda XR650L
Shakeyhands is offline   Reply With Quote