User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2012, 07:20 AM   #2821
14Traits
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
http://www.packitgourmet.com/

Something similar to the AU site. They cater to backpackers but since both sports tend to like to shed weight were possible.

PROUD SPONSOR of #81 Neduro to Dakar - GO NED GO!!
14Traits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:06 PM   #2822
Pete O Static
Adventure Seeker

Oddometer: 553
Really? I just buy fresh along the way. Never really had an issue, usually where I find gas I can find something decent to make for dinner at the campsite. Sure saves packing space as well as sodium intake. Nothing beats a nice steak with veggies grilled on an open fire.
Old 03-03-2012, 03:41 PM   #2823
AMSBIKER
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Hi all,

First post, long time lurker. Great site some brilliant tips. Some of my pics from a recent trip to Holland

Main camping stuff in the large bag. Tent in the smaller one. idea is, if I'm setting up camp in the pissing rain. I can put the tent up and unpack in the dry. Off again to Holland (same as these pics, Amsterdam, in April so will hopefullyi have some more extensive pics then. Campsite pic was taken about 1/2 hr after I landed so not fully set up.

:) Amsbiker

AMSBIKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 03:59 PM   #2824
gwb1340
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Get_Bent, how did the did hold up in the rain and wind?

Glenn in Eden Prairie, MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Get_Bent View Post
I was a little apprehensive about the tent but the wife made her intentions clear about trying to squeeze both of us into an REI halfdome for nearly 2 weeks.

And yes, I can easily fit the entire bike inside. With the bike outside the tent offers plenty of room to sleep as well as air/dry out the gear.

http://redverz.com/
gwb1340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:35 AM   #2825
el tortuga
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 584
how not to pack?

If the Clampett's owned KLR's.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
el tortuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:00 AM   #2826
frogy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSBIKER View Post
Hi all,

First post, long time lurker. Great site some brilliant tips. Some of my pics from a recent trip to Holland

Main camping stuff in the large bag. Tent in the smaller one. idea is, if I'm setting up camp in the pissing rain. I can put the tent up and unpack in the dry. Off again to Holland (same as these pics, Amsterdam, in April so will hopefullyi have some more extensive pics then. Campsite pic was taken about 1/2 hr after I landed so not fully s

:) Amsbiker

Um...is that a Vulcher walking by your tent?
frogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:31 AM   #2827
RonkoRider
Wrong Island, NY

Oddometer: 1,437

You carry a extra blankie for outside your tent? I'm not sure if that is WTF or simply brilliant!
RonkoRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:27 AM   #2828
ShadyRascal
Master of None

Oddometer: 5,952
I put some new sidecases on the bike so have been playing with my packup system and will lay it out here in tedious detail.

I got Seahorse 520 cases which are small and inexpensive. I didn't want to go to great big ones that I wouldn't want to have on the bike all the time.

Also I have thought out my camp gear needs over and over. Some of the super minimalist guys head across the desert on a dirt bike with their whole camp kit in a sandwich bag. I'm not exactly in that frame of mind, but still wanted to keep myself as space-efficient as possible with still having some comfort.

I didn't set up my tent nor Kermit chair for this show-and-tell but here they are on a trip last year.

Not a teeny ultralight tent but very comfy and roomy.

Here is my whole pile o' stuff laid out.

On the right are the tent, Kermit chair, and Kelty tarp, fold up saw. The rest is pretty self explanatory.

So now I pack it all into its little respective bags

The sleeping bag is in the blue roll top bag with pillow next to it. Clothes in blue bag next to water shoes. Alite chair and sleeping pad to the right of sleeping bag. Steverstove, pot, cup, incidental other stuff in the other small bags. Also you'll see a small soft side cooler, it's optional depending on how I pack.

Right sidecase:

Tool roll, Alite chair, water shoes, plastic shovel, air compressor, tent stakes, water bottle.

Alternate packing:

Cooler, compressor, tent stakes, shovel, water shoes.

Left side case:

Cutting board, sleeping pad, cooking pot/Steverstove/utensils, lantern/little first aid kit/other dicky-doo stuff.

Which leaves this stuff for the duffel bag on top. This also has options; if I take my Alite chair I leave my Kermit at home or vice-versa. May or may not take the Kelty tarp too. Or heck during our 2 weeks of summer here in Montana may leave the tent home and use the tarp instead. So this is a fluid combination of gear.

For this demonstration, I put the whole works in there. Here I am carrying everything I've described so far on the bike, except the cooler.

Here it is with everything including the cooler.

You'll notice there has been no mention of food. I carry it in the cooler if I bring that along, or put it into the duffel bag which has plenty of room. Also I'll have water in a bigger Nalgene bottle often too, and I always have water near the camp for washing etc.

It fits together comfortably for me. I can scoot back and get a little back rest from it too.

So I really at this point don't have a great need to get larger side cases than these little jobs. If I had longer trips at my disposal, yes probably would. But I can cross that bridge when I come to it.

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.

Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 01:08 PM   #2829
AMSBIKER
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogy View Post
Not a Vulchet. It's dinner. 😊

Blanket is plastic backed. Put it inside tent at night . Nice for the wet ground and em.....relaxing in Amsterdam..

AB
Old 03-04-2012, 01:12 PM   #2830
AMSBIKER
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogy View Post
Not a Vulcher. It's dinner. 😊

Blanket is plastic backed. Put it inside tent at night , who needs a cold floor. Nice for the wet ground outside and em.....relaxing in Amsterdam..

AB
Old 03-04-2012, 03:43 PM   #2831
Tonopah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 452
I think I still have a lot to learn regarding packing...

On the R1200GS the hard bags contain some clothes, extra pair of shoes, snow lite camp stove with fuel bottle, cookware, six bottles of water, instant coffee and ramen type cups of food, bike cover, lantern and headlamp, and some other crap and the hard bags are pretty much done.

The blue Walmart dry duffle contains sleeping bag, sleeping pad, tent poles and stakes. The orange bag on the other side contains the tent.

The tail bag contains sweatshirt and jacket and the tank bag is stuffed with the usual items.

Old 03-04-2012, 05:00 PM   #2832
CuberBob
Starter

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyRascal View Post
will lay it out here in tedious detail.
Well laid out post, thank you very much for the detail. Especially the packed side boxes. Helps us noobs visualize better!

Thanks again!

RIP -80 KZ750, 09 Ninja EX500
CuberBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:17 PM   #2833
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,375
There sure are some good ideas in all these posts.

Shady Rascal: How did you mount your sidecases? Are they easy on easy off or are they permabolted on?

Also in the pic. below it looks like you have a compression bag that compression long and skinny instead of the more common short and fat. Where did you find it?

Thanks everyone for posting your set ups. I'm always on the lookout for the perfect tent, the perfect packing solution and ways to lighten my motorcycles load. So far I haven't come up with that perfect combination, but I keep trying.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:24 PM   #2834
ShadyRascal
Master of None

Oddometer: 5,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
There sure are some good ideas in all these posts.

Shady Rascal: How did you mount your sidecases? Are they easy on easy off or are they permabolted on?

Also in the pic. below it looks like you have a compression bag that compression long and skinny instead of the more common short and fat. Where did you find it?

Thanks everyone for posting your set ups. I'm always on the lookout for the perfect tent, the perfect packing solution and ways to lighten my motorcycles load. So far I haven't come up with that perfect combination, but I keep trying.
Hiya Ladybug,
The long compression sack is the thing my North Face Tree Frog tent came in. I would like to have more like it; I have the other kind and like my sleeping bag just goes short and fat, doesn't help me to pack it that way so I stuff it in my Seattle Sports roll top bag. For mounting of the cases, they are bolted on but onto fixed studs. Loosen four nuts and pull them right off, just takes a minute. Oh and like you I'm always looking to tweak things to make it just right. If I were doing it over I'd probably get a half-dome style tent, that packs much smaller than my Tree Frog. It's got more room than I need really, and along with my sleeping bag is one of the two largest things I carry. One of those and a small-packing down bag would change my whole kit quite a bit!

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.

Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.

ShadyRascal screwed with this post 03-04-2012 at 05:30 PM
ShadyRascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:27 PM   #2835
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,375
Thanks for the details and pics of how your side boxes attach. I like that set up and am considering something like that for my DR200. I use soft bags now which work great but I like the idea of waterproof hard boxes on it.

The sleeping bag I use and like is the Big Agnes. I like that only half has filling so they pack up smaller: https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/SleepingBags Since I already had a thermarest I didn't buy the pad but others that have swear by them. I'm cheap (not enough money for all my wants) so it was difficult spending the money on one of these bags but after the first night sleeping in it I realized it was money well spent. I liked that they have different bags for women and men and for different sized people. Since I'm short it was nice to be able to get a bag that didn't have an extra foot of bag that I didn't need. I got a zero degree down bag and am a happy camper.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote