Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2013, 04:38 AM   #3466
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,167
Nice post redviffer. Google translate Aussie to Merrycan.....

There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:31 AM   #3467
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by redviffer View Post

Wow I didn't realize that tent was quite as spacious as it is ... very nice!

Slight off-topic tangent: about how tall are you, and how do you like the Madstad windscreen?
JRWooden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:17 PM   #3468
MotoBoss
Bad Influence

Oddometer: 3,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by DYNOBOB View Post
I like it because it packs very compact and light. I do find it comfortable and sleep well on it but I'm 145lbs, I don't think they would be the best option for someone much over 200lbs.

I'm 240lbs and it works just fine................

Donate To ADV

MotoBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:28 PM   #3469
DYNOBOB
lucky dog

Oddometer: 828
Quote:
If I was in a caravan park I would use the Redverz. If I camped in the bush or on the side of the road or in an area where I needed a smaller footprint I would use the Hubba Bubba. I actually ended up combining the two using the outer from the Redverz and the inner from the Hubba to give myself more of a vestible inside the Redverz. In future I will take the hubba or another tent I have and use a tarp and polls to achieve what the Redverz was doing with its footprint.

That is a sweet setup. Why do you say you will do something different in the future?

DYNOBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:55 PM   #3470
CHAOSHUMOUR
THE UNSANE

Oddometer: 119

[/QUOTE]

Hey Redviffer

Was that a Big 4 mate? Did you become a member?

We did our Tassie trip, and though we wanted to camp out, the weather was so crappy that we utilised the Big 4 alot. $50 for 2 year membership and we made our Money back in 1 trip. ALSO good in UNZUD!!!!!

CHAOS!
Old 02-24-2013, 08:12 PM   #3471
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Oddometer: 15,577
$800 worth of tent set up in a trailer park.

mouthfulloflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:07 PM   #3472
wbedient
MoTard

Oddometer: 1,208
My System

I don't take as much as a lot of people do, but I take more than some. I shoot for what I call "comfortable minimalist."

Pictures (click for LARGE pics):

My Bike week long dirt trip:

How I set up my lean to:

Video covering all my gear:

a funny video showing my Buell set up with a larger tarp (look in the background):

This set up keeps my dry and off keeps the bugs away.

2008 KTM 690 Enduro
My Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wbedient#g/u
wbedient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:28 PM   #3473
MiteyF
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,867
W, you obviously don't camp on this side of the mountains much Or do you have a real tent for west-side adventures?
Old 02-25-2013, 09:40 PM   #3474
wbedient
MoTard

Oddometer: 1,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiteyF View Post
W, you obviously don't camp on this side of the mountains much Or do you have a real tent for west-side adventures?
I've slept on the moss, in rain, hail and what little snow Ft. Lewis will offer with no tarp, just the sleeping bag and gortex bivy cover.

The tarp makes life more enjoyable, and has always worked well in the rain when combined with the gortex bag cover.

2008 KTM 690 Enduro
My Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wbedient#g/u
wbedient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:29 AM   #3475
redviffer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
Slight off-topic tangent: about how tall are you, and how do you like the Madstad windscreen?
I'm 6 foot 2 and I have tried the Touratech touring screen, original screen and Givi touring screen. The Madstad is perfect. I didn't believe it reading about it but it actually does let you hear the engine and I can comfortably ride around town with no hearing protection. On the highway after a few hours though I rely on the hearing protection. I also like that I can take the main screen off for off road work. I was considering one from Britannia plastics from Canada but this would arrive earlier, was slightly cheaper and didn't mean reconfiguring the cockpit of the bike.

Split screen is definitely key though, breaking up that low pressure zone or stopping the high pressure zone colliding with a low pressure zone eliminates all buffering and that was also the case on my past bikes especially VFR's. Honda got that one right by having a small gap between the screen and fairing.
redviffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:38 AM   #3476
redviffer
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DYNOBOB View Post
That is a sweet setup. Why do you say you will do something different in the future?

Just because overall I could have done with less gear and lowered the weight a bit. The Redverz tent is fantastic but it weighs about 6kg and is quite bulky to transport. It won't fit in a pannier with out taking up almost two of them and at a squeeze. The Hubba Bubba is about 1.8kg. I have a Marmot Boreas 3 person which is quite large and weighs about 2.4kg. The problem is though its nice to be able to sit or stand under cover in rain instead of sitting on your ass in a tent so I figured I'll take that tent and get myself a tarp with poles like a Mont Batwing 5 tarp. That setup would be about 3.5kg all up and pack down much smaller than a Redverz and still give me both the caravan and bush camping option.

Its tough because the redverz is just great to be able to sit in your little 'shed' out of the elements or if its cold and windy and cook up a feed or whip out the laptop and check emails. I didn't go off road but in that configuration I wouldn't want to, it was just too bulky and heavy and I could do it with less which is all part of the fun of motorbike touring; seeing what little you can get by on but still be comfortable.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:42 AM   #3477
redviffer
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by

Hey [COLOR="Lime"
Redviffer[/COLOR]

Was that a Big 4 mate? Did you become a member?

We did our Tassie trip, and though we wanted to camp out, the weather was so crappy that we utilised the Big 4 alot. $50 for 2 year membership and we made our Money back in 1 trip. ALSO good in UNZUD!!!!!

CHAOS!
Not sure what it was but it was just outside of Adelaide, Strathalbyn I think. Thanks for the heads up I may have to look in to it as Tassie is on the list to do or may be my next big ride.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:49 AM   #3478
redviffer
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouthfulloflake View Post
$800 worth of tent set up in a trailer park.

In Australia our culture is a little different with trailer parks; they aren't mainly where the people living on hard luck come from. They tend to be a place for wealthy older retired folk with big 4WD's and big caravans doing laps of the country to fill in time. Or they get used a lot by families because it's much cheaper than a hotel and saves you big bucks in the long run. For a motel or hotel for me travelling would be close to $100 a night or more not including food. For a spot of grass to pitch a tent: $20-30. The site seen in the pictures cost me $10 as it wasn't even a spot just a patch of grass next to the showers and toilets.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:58 AM   #3479
MotoBoss
Bad Influence

Oddometer: 3,339
[QUOTE=redviffer;20812800]In Australia our culture is a little different with trailer parks; they aren't mainly where the people living on hard luck come from. They tend to be a place for wealthy older retired folk with big 4WD's and big caravans doing laps of the country to fill in time. QUOTE]

Yeah it's a shame we over here tend to put our values on other parts of the world. I know the "parks" are great places and waaaaaaayyyyy different than what we consider a 'trailer park' here.

Nice set up,,,,,,,,,,BIG, but nice and comfy...

Donate To ADV

MotoBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:47 AM   #3480
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Oddometer: 15,577
My comment was less about the socio-economics of trailer parks around the world, and more about a giant and expensive tent being used so close to 'civilization'.

Is back country not allowed in your part of the world?

Quote:
In Australia our culture is a little different with trailer parks; they aren't mainly where the people living on hard luck come from. They tend to be a place for wealthy older retired folk with big 4WD's and big caravans doing laps of the country to fill in time. Or they get used a lot by families because it's much cheaper than a hotel and saves you big bucks in the long run. For a motel or hotel for me travelling would be close to $100 a night or more not including food. For a spot of grass to pitch a tent: $20-30. The site seen in the pictures cost me $10 as it wasn't even a spot just a patch of grass next to the showers and toilets.
mouthfulloflake is offline   Reply With Quote