Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2013, 10:14 PM   #3511
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12 View Post
Fyi sir, it's both a recreational vehicle and class B+ motorhome, and probably in the 80-95k range.

This is a perfect example when one douche shows up and derails a thread by going way off topic. And it'll take several posts to bring it back. I enjoyed this thread until that motorhome/rv got here.. Nice rig though

I'll bugger off now, and let this thread get back on topic.
Who was [were] the one[s] who actually derailed the thread again? Oh, that's right...

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:13 AM   #3512
sw3dl1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 520
Agreed...Let's get back to the topic at hand, packed-up bikes.
Though I own several DS bikes, a friend and I are looking at a 5 to 7 day DS ride on small bore bikes. I'm using a little CRF230L Honda. I'd be interested in seeing one packed. The rear subframe does not look strong enough for a lot of weight (only rated at 20 lbs) so Im most likely going to have to use seat mounted bags like Wolfman E-12's or Great Basin loop bags. Any one got a pic of a loaded CRF230L?
1982 Honda GL1100 - X2
sw3dl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:19 AM   #3513
KHJPHOTO
Old Man and the Road

Oddometer: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevBill View Post
.. wow picky picky ..

.. oh yeah .. it's not a MH nor an RV .. fyi ..

.. and with no idea what he's packing in that side car (like a tent, cot, and sunshower maybe) you don't know what he's got ..

.. though my money is on the Sprinter .. lol ..

Well I'll tell you:
Sidecar holds all the gear you need. You see - kinda like climbing Mt Everest - the base camp is the Sprinter - from there you ride out for the back country. Nice to return to the comforts of "home". Although I see by a couple of the posts some live on the street and do indeed need a shower

Oh, and I ride all over the country; slabbing from one place to the other just
does not do it anymore. So when I pass you in that rain/snow storm or the
105 degree heat; while I sit in dry or AC comfort, I'll wave

OBTW now approching 400,000 miles (ON THE BIKE) - How long have you been in the saddle? Huh?
IBA #27356
BMW Mileage Award 300,000 and adding to it

www.khjphotography.com
KHJPHOTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:26 AM   #3514
walterpump
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
My bike last weekend.

Camp
I always thought camping was getting away from it, not bring it all with you like so many of the entries in this thread. Therefore I aplaud your setup. Bike looks neat and well ordered and minimalist IMO. And your camp set up for the evening looks great - all together excellent and not spread out like you brought like you brought the entire contents of your home - congratulations.
walterpump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:31 AM   #3515
walterpump
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
I Second That

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiteyF View Post
Congratulations. You just took the "adventure" out of "adventure riding", and turned your motorcycle into a car, removing the "riding" part. I guess we should change this to a "driving" forum.

I second your comments.
I know we shouldn't be flaming other entries but I just can't warm up to Winnibego type rigs and KOA campsites. Give me a 200cc to 250cc off'roader, basic gear and supplies (and a little refreshments) and away I go.
walterpump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:38 AM   #3516
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by walterpump View Post
I second your comments.
I know we shouldn't be flaming other entries but I just can't warm up to Winnibego type rigs and KOA campsites. Give me a 200cc to 250cc off'roader, basic gear and supplies (and a little refreshments) and away I go.
Well, I say to each his own, but I prefer to ride and camp. For the price of a camping outfit like that you could likely stay in four- and five-star hotels every night for a year or more calling in room service for all your meals, if comfort is you ultimate goal. But that's just me.
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:49 AM   #3517
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 3,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw3dl1 View Post
Agreed...Let's get back to the topic at hand, packed-up bikes.
Though I own several DS bikes, a friend and I are looking at a 5 to 7 day DS ride on small bore bikes. I'm using a little CRF230L Honda. I'd be interested in seeing one packed. The rear subframe does not look strong enough for a lot of weight (only rated at 20 lbs) so Im most likely going to have to use seat mounted bags like Wolfman E-12's or Great Basin loop bags. Any one got a pic of a loaded CRF230L?
I had a DRZe model that doesn't have a subframe in the rear. I used throw over saddlebags, which covered right over the side number plates. I also used tank saddle bags for an ATV and they held alot of gear as well. Small fender bag on the front held tools. I had enough room for a couple days worth, I never camped any longer than that.

I think a big loop bag would be ideal and would stay on the back part of the seat and not stress the rear fender.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:50 AM   #3518
borateen
n00b

Oddometer: 2
First time motorcycle camping

This is a snap of my 2006 FZ6 loaded up on a 5 night solo camping trip last year. This was the first time camping on my bike and really wasn't sure how the bike would handle or how everything would pack, but thought I had a good system.

Dry bag has a huge WalMart tent that leaked like crazy, sleeping pad, large tarp, stool and sleeping bag. Saddle bag 1 had clothes, saddle bag 2 had food and accessories. Trunk has tools, rain gear, stove, extra gas, air compressor. Tank bag had my phone, wallet, glasses, extra gloves, hat, random stuff.

I pretty much used everything I had except the stool. I have upgraded my tent and sleeping mat for this year. Spending 3 days in the bush with pouring rain and a 1 hour ride on a dirt road in northern Ontario wasn't as fun as it could have been.

borateen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:53 PM   #3519
ParaMud
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 625
Still working on my loading technique. I need to give myself some more room in the saddle.

The 2 dry bags are 2 sleeping bags with liners and pillows.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:04 PM   #3520
syzygy9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAOSHUMOUR View Post
Hey syzygy.

Mate, do you have the option to spin the bag lengthwise along the seat behind you and strap the tent on top? I have a mate with the same BC bag on his Tiger 1050, and he straps it on rack (with his multipurpose plank under it). It seems to put alot of stress on the SW Rack and actually shattered the spacers.

I use D76 Dry Bags, and tend to use a slimmer profile lengthways.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...72&postcount=4

Just a thought.

CHAOS OUT!
Good idea, but will transition to Jesse Panniers (on order from Sunshine Coast based MDT Tours) from Andy Strapz soft bags. I found the inconvenience of soft bags (don't carry much or fit well) a hassle and will get some heavier panniers (unfortunately) but keep things low and centered and off the rear rack.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:35 AM   #3521
MotoBoss
Bad Influence

Oddometer: 3,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by syzygy9 View Post
Good idea, but will transition to Jesse Panniers (on order from Sunshine Coast based MDT Tours) from Andy Strapz soft bags. I found the inconvenience of soft bags (don't carry much or fit well) a hassle and will get some heavier panniers (unfortunately) but keep things low and centered and off the rear rack.

But that's the idea, less is more

As the saying goes "pack smaller, take less, travel lighter" includes being able to safely ride as well in many conditions.......

Don't get me wrong, on the GS I have the stock hard bags and a small top box but I try not to add anything I cant carry in those boxes. If it has to go on the passenger seat it's only a small (shoe box size) soft bag. I always have the fear, with hard bags, that a tip over will crush my leg or foot (again).
I use small bags (Wolfman) on the DRZ and much prefer to travel as light as I can.

Big cases are helpful however when the pig falls over and you have to pick it up

AdventureRiderRadio
Donate To ADV

MotoBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:40 PM   #3522
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoBoss View Post
But that's the idea, less is more

As the saying goes "pack smaller, take less, travel lighter" includes being able to safely ride as well in many conditions.......

I think the above thinking is relevant no matter what bike you ride. Whether it's a BMW GS or CRF230 the less weight carried the better the bike will handle.

I've noticed a huge difference when going from this:

slimmed down to this over the years:

Both loads carry the same basics. Enough gear for camping/cooking/food etc. for multiple days.

Over time though I learned to trim down and leave home what was not needed or generally used on the trips. Also paring down to more packable gear; for example, from an inflatable Thermo-Rest that packs huge (top pic green bag) to something like a Neo Air saves a ton of volume yet accomplishes the same task.

Upside is that the payoff is a bike that handles worlds better due to a lighter, smaller volume packed load. Something that matters as much if you;re on a 990 Adventure or TW200. After all the whole reason to get on the bike is to enjoy the ride and a lighter bike ensures a more enjoyable ride usually.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:13 PM   #3523
RevBill
Irreverent Reverend

Oddometer: 2,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHJPHOTO View Post
Well I'll tell you:
Sidecar holds all the gear you need. You see - kinda like climbing Mt Everest - the base camp is the Sprinter - from there you ride out for the back country. Nice to return to the comforts of "home". Although I see by a couple of the posts some live on the street and do indeed need a shower

Oh, and I ride all over the country; slabbing from one place to the other just
does not do it anymore. So when I pass you in that rain/snow storm or the
105 degree heat; while I sit in dry or AC comfort, I'll wave

OBTW now approching 400,000 miles (ON THE BIKE) - How long have you been in the saddle? Huh?
.. wow .. I get the sense I just had my balls pounded by someone I was taking up for .. whatever ..

.. yep .. I sometimes stink when I camp and ride .. I've slept on everything from a picnic table at the rest stop, to the Holiday Inn, to someone's sofa cause they felt sorry for "that idiot out in the rain" .. I still love traveling on my bike .. doubt that will ever change ..

I have only managed about 200K miles (with about an 18 year hiatus being a dad and husband) and I'll likely not see more the 500K lifetime as I'm on my second family .. whatever ..

.. there's a lot more I could claim/brag/yap about, but it's probably just not worth the effort on someone's who's prouder of the things they have gathered so they can rub someone's nose in it as they wave hello from their air-conditioned life rather than sharing the experience and enjoying the camaraderie of the adventure ..

.. oh yeah .. so I don't get jumped for derailing the thread (entirely) ..

.. one of my twins playing with our camping gear for the bike ..

.. how it fits on the bike .. or used to .. I swapped it up a little since this shot was taken .. my bike's on the left (obviously) ..

.. I don't carry a sleeping bag anymore, just and old-school bedroll, tent, tarp, micro-stove and food .. change of clothes for two days beyond what I am wearing .. I don't have much use for a sleep pad either .. I carry more tools and bike-related repair/maintenance gear than most .. and I enjoy every moment of it (sometimes only after the fact when it's miserable/ugly weather) and I hope God is kind enough to allow me to continue doing it for another 20 or thirty years (though that would put me into my 80's by then) ..

.. y'all ride blessed ..
RevBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:35 PM   #3524
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 1,122
Eh?

Salesmen do miles, riders live.
It's not about the miles, it's about the ride.

It doesn't matter whether you're soaking wet or reeking a mile in the wind, the ones who live have a story and are welcome to all our amenities.

lefteria ouk thanatos
Cheers to all stinking buddies with stories

Old 03-25-2013, 11:47 AM   #3525
Dubl-A
DS Junkie

Oddometer: 1,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer Pilot View Post
I guess, to be fair, I also have the means to afford the best gear I can find
Humm...that's a KTM or am I mistaking???[/QUOTE]

He's not speaking of service costs, Beamer
Dubl-A is offline   Reply With Quote