Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2013, 07:49 AM   #3646
jeepinbanditrider
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

Oddometer: 1,146
One of the biggest things they skimp on when making cheap tents is the poles. You can upgrade to some DAC aluminum poles and have a much better tent.

Sent from my iPhone
jeepinbanditrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:39 AM   #3647
Biston
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Stain View Post

Hence the n00b statement.

You'll find, Biston that Bungies aren't up to the constant packing and unpacking that many riders put them through. They have a tendency to fray at the hooks and then either snap back into your eye as you're cinching them OR they break when you're motoring down the road at 70mph, leaving you without vital gear once you make camp.

Many here are talking from experience. (Although not sure about the eye part)

ROK Straps are excellent, as are AndyStrapz.
haha!
yes you are absolutely right! Bungees are not the best option. My comment was more to the point of not calling someone out for being a "NOOB" because they dont have a 20k bmw and all the touratech farkles. I think the best thing to do is like you did. offer another option that you feel is better and why. I guess i felt bad for the people who were posting up pictures of their set-ups (many with bungees) and some person saying might as well hang noob sign on your bike. I think we'd all agree that the spirit of this awesome site is to ENCOURAGE people to get out and explore thier world on a motorbike. thats what we all love to do!

I should post up a pic of my camping set-up! thats what this thread is for. sorry for the rant friends!
Biston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:24 AM   #3648
letank
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
no tent needed

a light tarp, a good sleeping bag, a foam pad, some spare gas, and dry food, all sitting on a soda crate

letank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:59 AM   #3649
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega

Oddometer: 852
Do you have a picture of how you use the tarp? I'm trying to envision using it without trees/rocks around and all I can think of is rolling yourself up in it like a burrito!
Old 05-28-2013, 12:10 PM   #3650
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,551
Packed

Camp

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:35 PM   #3651
DonVulpes
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Eek

I like lots of space

And I haven't mastered the art of packing light or trimming down to essentials either.

DonVulpes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:24 PM   #3652
CHAOSHUMOUR
THE UNSANE

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonVulpes View Post
I like lots of space

And I haven't mastered the art of packing light or trimming down to essentials either.

Hey DonVulpes

What top case are you running. I have 800XC. I run the alutrax sides, but looking at top case.

I am looking to mount Rotopax fuel. I know the Alt Rider Base plate is designed for Givi Case AND Rotopax, but have not seen the Givi Case. Is that it?

On that note, has anyone mounted a Rotopax on top with HArd case? Or different options?

CHAOS OUT!
Old 05-28-2013, 09:24 PM   #3653
birdie_xx
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 794
Givi E 55..

I think that is the Givi E 55 Tech case ....

Cheers,
birdie_xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:45 PM   #3654
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,797
Motorcycle snobbery is alive and well right here in this thread.

If I want to be accepted as knowing what I'm doing and being a real motorcyclist I can ride this bike.

For camping I simply use RocStraps to strap down a bag on the passenger seat and I look like I know what I'm doing. No nOOb tag dangling from this set up.

But if I want to have a blast out riding and really enjoying the backroads, hang that nOOb tag on me and have a good laugh because I'm having one heck of a good time with this set up. Yes, I use bungie cords, RocStraps, cheap gear and whatever works.

My BMW generates more respect than my Suzuki however my Suzuki has taken me to places I wouldn't go with the BMW. Fun isn't dictated by the amount of money you spend unless your pleasure comes from perceived status.

If you are going to spend a month + in a raft on a river it makes good sence to pay more and get quality gear. If you are going to spend random weekends on a motorcycle you can get by with much less quality and pay less. If money is no object then by all mean buy top of the line gear right out of the shoot but for me that hasn't been a luxury that I enjoyed.

I did spent 6 months living off my motorcycle camping along the way with cheap gear so I have been there done that. My tent was a Kmart tent, my sleeping bag was a well used coleman bag my mom bought me when I was 12 years old. My cooking gear was cheap stuff I bought at a general surplus store. The only "quality" item I had during that 6 months was a thermarest mattress. And yes in deed I strapped a duffel on the passenger seat with *shutter* two bungie cords that served me well. nOOb tag hung securly and happily..... My cheap stuff lasted the 6 months and some. In fact I still use some of things I had on that trip which was more than 20 years ago.

I'm not saying my way is the best way and certainly not the only way to do things. I respect everyone that is getting out there enjoying riding no matter how they pack, what bike they ride, or how much or little they have into their set up. People make fun of the KLR riders but I admire how they make use of inexpensive things.

Rotopax was mentioned. Mine is tucked behind the side bags and it works great. The weight is low and evenly spaced. One is for fuel the other water. With that bike I can get out there and enjoy the middle of no where that the Northwest has to offer.

Ride happy and don't worry about those pesky nOOb labels - I've been a nOOb for about 40 years now and it's not a bad place to be.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:15 PM   #3655
k1973
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
Motorcycle snobbery is alive and well right here in this thread.
I'm not saying my way is the best way and certainly not the only way to do things. I respect everyone that is getting out there enjoying riding no matter how they pack, what bike they ride, or how much or little they have into their set up. People make fun of the KLR riders but I admire how they make use of inexpensive things.
Ride happy and don't worry about those pesky nOOb labels - I've been a nOOb for about 40 years now and it's not a bad place to be.

This right here is the TRUTH

We've all been noobs. We've all learned from our mistakes and from others. What matters is getting out there and riding with what we have.

to Ladybug0048
Old 05-30-2013, 03:50 AM   #3656
davsato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 799
i have great respect for anyone that can go away for days offroad on a bike with a seat like a 2x4, sleep under a sheet of plastic and eat trail mix, im just saying thats not me!

im a kitchen sink kind of guy, and i can afford to be as i dont go off the tarmac much, im a big guy on a big bike with a lot of capacity so why not?
im just lucky my mrs doesnt get the camping or biking thing or we'd probably have a humongous LT or 'wing and tow a trailer by now, and have an intercom, and that would be good too (she made me write that)
Old 05-30-2013, 07:28 AM   #3657
Black-Ops
The left one....

Oddometer: 112

Tent and sleeping gear in one pannier, clothes and cooking in the other. An old tank bag on the passenger seat holds tools and radio stuff.
Tank bag for bits and pieces.
Did 2 weeks around Victoria and still took to much stuff!
Old 05-30-2013, 08:37 AM   #3658
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,791
Very well put Ladybug...

...I carry way too much stuff when I travel. Comes from my boy scout days "be prepared" and not wanting to be dependent on anyone else. My personal motto: "I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it" works for me.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:13 AM   #3659
dmaxmike
former quadtard.

Oddometer: 781
the old boy scout motto gets me all the time! I have toned it down the last few trips but I still take way to much stuff.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:02 AM   #3660
wbedient
MoTard

Oddometer: 1,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by letank View Post
a light tarp, a good sleeping bag, a foam pad, some spare gas, and dry food, all sitting on a soda crate

I'm a big fan of light weight bikes when moto camping. I take a light weight tarp and never feel the need for a tent, even when it rains.

2008 KTM 690 Enduro
My Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wbedient#g/u
wbedient is offline   Reply With Quote