Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2007, 08:35 PM   #1
creeper OP
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
Hi n00b, welcome to ADVrider. Got a question do ya?

Hi there forum n00bster…

So, you’d like to ask a question would you bunkie? That’s great… that’s what forums are all about.

Always remember that your potential responders are not mind readers… so, you need to provide basic information.
Do not assume that anyone here knows anything about anything you ride.

I. What we may need to know about you and your bike:

Bike:
  • What year?
  • What model?
  • Are you the original owner or the 2nd, 3rd… 9th owner?
  • How long have you owned it?
  • Do you take care of it, or does a dealer take care of it... or does it just magically take care of itself?
  • Is the bike stock… if you don’t know, can you provide pics of the offending widget generating your question?
  • If it’s a “state of tune” question, can you tell us what mods have been made to jetting, pipe, airbox, cam etc… if any?
  • Leak questions should always include what the fluid is… like brand and type... even color, if you know.
  • Questions about a handling quirk should include any recent chassis changes and the brand, model and condition of your tires... don't forget the air pressure either.
See where I’m going here? State all pertinent facts when ever possible. If you are unsure of the pertinent facts, tell what you know and say: "I'm not really sure I know what I'm looking at here... would someone please tell me what information they need to provide me with a possible diagnosis?"

You:
  • How long you been riding?
  • What is your skill level? Anything from no00bie n00bs to Dakar competitors live here.
  • What is your physical status? In decent shape or arthritic hunchback… again, we got ‘em all here.
  • Are you mechanically inclined? If you get a techno answer, does it need to be explained in excruciatingly painful detail, or can someone say “your overthruster bearing is toast” and you’re good to go?
  • Are you complaining about the vibration of your bike… having just got off a Gold Wing and on to a four-stroke single for the first time in your life?
  • Are you complaining about how tall your bike is? You are the person that bought it... right?
  • Are you complaining in general? Stop it. Grow up. Get a life. Everybody has problems.
Again… see where I’m going here?

II. What you need to know about the people that “live” here.

Forums are populated with a cross-section of humanity. That means that there people here you’ll like… and some, not so much.
There will be people here that know less about motorcycles than you do… but, because it’s a public forum, they still will offer up their opinion.

Post counts… don’t count.
There are people here that are completely oblivious to the fact that they are not mechanically inclined… that have post counts in the 20K plus range (You can blame JM for this anomaly), and there are people that joined just yesterday that might be moto-rocket surgeons… but as yet don’t have that kool, rocket surgeony reputation.

A perception of confidence on your part is not an indicator of intelligence or comprehension on the part of the responder. There are lots of confident morons here too.

Speaking of perception... a single word can change the way someone perceives your issue. Happens all the time here. On occasion you will get an answer, well meaning and insightful, that has little to do with your problem.
Why? Perception. If your questions are clear and concise you have a much better chance of your answers being equal to the questions.

III. Wading thru the poo.

In your post title, don’t be vague and cute… If your Webley-Vickers 441 SS-TT engine has sprung a leak... Say: “Help! W-V 441 engine leak question”.

Write in easy to read structured sentences and paragraphs. There’s nothing more annoying than trying to read one big run-on block of 736 words with little or no punctuation… little or no “beginning, middle and end”.
Not real good at punctuation 'N shit? Nobody here is really good at it either... but you can give it your best shot eh?

Now that you’ve written a well structured post with all valuable info included… congratulations! You’re on you way to obtaining some well earned respect and appreciation from those that will (hopefully) take the time to provide an equally well thought out, and concise answer.

Sit back… your answers will be forthcoming. Now all you have to do is sort the pearls from the poo.

Oh, last thing. This is the interwebnet, and contrary to what you've heard, you'll need to dig thru lots of poo to find those wisdom soaked pearls.

Best 'O luck,
C

creeper screwed with this post 06-20-2007 at 10:49 PM
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 08:49 PM   #2
nelgallan
oilfield trash

Oddometer: 1,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper
Oh, last thing. This is the interwebnet, and contrary to what you've heard, you'll need to dig thru lots of poo to find those wisdom soaked pearls.

Best 'O luck,
C

that was worth reading the whole thing for

“There are three things in life that people like to stare at: a flowing stream, a crackling fire, and a Zamboni clearing the ice.”

http://nelgallan.smugmug.com/
nelgallan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 09:22 PM   #3
btl68
semi-rolling stone

Oddometer: 290
Also, please state WHERE you live. A close-by member might be able to help, in person! Also, it will help to know if you are at altitude or sea level, and knowing your approximate whereabouts is helpful in determining that.

Ignorance is bliss until they take your bliss away...
btl68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 09:29 PM   #4
firerigger
Trauma waiting to happen

Oddometer: 810
Who else votes for a sticky on this thread? (just trying to get my post count up...)

Current rides:
'04 KTM 450 EXC
'07 Triumph Tiger 1050
'07 Triumph Daytona 675

Gone but not forgotten:
'00 KTM LC4-E Sixdays
'06 KLR 650
'06 DL-1000

Save yourself (and me!) money at SmugMug: Coupon code YE2eMDKcBDhGY
firerigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 09:36 PM   #5
RiDR
The Himalayan what?

Oddometer: 592
Quote:
Hi there forum n00bster…

So, you’d like to ask a question would you bunkie? That’s great… that’s what forums are all about.

Always remember that your potential responders are not mind readers… so, you need to provide basic information.
Do not assume that anyone here knows anything about anything you ride.

I. What we may need to know about you and your bike:

Bike:
  • What year?
  • What model?
  • Are you the original owner or the 2nd, 3rd… 9th owner?
  • How long have you owned it?
  • Do you take care of it, or does a dealer take care of it... or does it just magically take care of itself?
  • Is the bike stock… if you don’t know, can you provide pics of the offending widget generating your question?
  • If it’s a “state of tune” question, can you tell us what mods have been made to jetting, pipe, airbox, cam etc… if any?
  • Leak questions should always include what the fluid is… like brand and type... even color, if you know.
  • Questions about a handling quirk should include any recent chassis changes and the brand, model and condition of your tires... don't forget the air pressure either.
See where I’m going here? State all pertinent facts when ever possible. If you are unsure of the pertinent facts, tell what you know and say: "I'm not really sure I know what I'm looking at here... would someone please tell me what information they need to provide me with a possible diagnosis?"

You:
  • How long you been riding?
  • What is your skill level? Anything from no00bie n00bs to Dakar competitors live here.
  • What is your physical status? In decent shape or arthritic hunchback… again, we got ‘em all here.
  • Are you mechanically inclined? If you get a techno answer, does it need to be explained in excruciatingly painful detail, or can someone say “your overthruster bearing is toast” and you’re good to go?
  • Are you complaining about the vibration of your bike… having just got off a Gold Wing and on to a four-stroke single for the first time in your life?
  • Are you complaining about how tall your bike is? You are the person that bought it... right?
  • Are you complaining in general? Stop it. Grow up. Get a life. Everybody has problems.
Again… see where I’m going here?

II. What you need to know about the people that “live” here.

Forums are populated with a cross-section of humanity. That means that there people here you’ll like… and some, not so much.
There will be people here that know less about motorcycles than you do… but, because it’s a public forum, they still will offer up their opinion.

Post counts… don’t count.
There are people here that are completely oblivious to the fact that they are not mechanically inclined… that have post counts in the 20K plus range (You can blame JM for this anomaly), and there are people that joined just yesterday that might be moto-rocket surgeons… but as yet don’t have that kool, rocket surgeony reputation.

A perception of confidence on your part is not an indicator of intelligence or comprehension on the part of the responder. There are lots of confident morons here too.

Speaking of perception... a single word can change the way someone perceives your issue. Happens all the time here. On occasion you will get an answer, well meaning and insightful, that has little to do with your problem.
Why? Perception. If your questions are clear and concise you have a much better change of your answers being equal to the questions.

III. Wading thru the poo.

In your post title, don’t be vague and cute… If your Webley-Vickers 441 SS-TT engine has sprung a leak... Say: “Help! W-V 441 engine leak question”.

Write in easy to read structured sentences and paragraphs. There’s nothing more annoying than trying to read one big run-on block of 736 words with little or no punctuation… little or no “beginning, middle and end”.
Not real good at punctuation 'N shit? Nobody here is really good at it either... but you can give it your best shot eh?

Now that you’ve written a well structured post with all valuable info included… congratulations! You’re on you way to obtaining some well earned respect and appreciation from those that will (hopefully) take the time to provide an equally well thought out, and concise answer.

Sit back… your answers will be forthcoming. Now all you have to do is sort the pearls from the poo.

Best 'O luck,
C
You're not the boss of me
RiDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 10:05 PM   #6
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt_Diggler
You're not the boss of me
Here's one that was missed-

No need to quote an entire tirade if your reply is in reference to one word, one sentence, one paragraph, etc.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:12 PM   #7
btl68
semi-rolling stone

Oddometer: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR650_Mesa,AZ
Here's one that was missed-

No need to quote an entire tirade if your reply is in reference to one word, one sentence, one paragraph, etc.
Even better than that, noobs, don't RE-POST a whole bunch of freakin' pictures that my 'puter has to keep downloading! Seeing them once in a thread from the original poster is enough!

Ignorance is bliss until they take your bliss away...
btl68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 10:20 PM   #8
PacWestGS
Life Is The Adventure!

Oddometer: 10,866
Well said creeper, I vote *STICKY* in all "BIKE" threads...

and, Dirt_Diggler's reply is fine example of

Bosses, we don't need no stinkin' bosses, just riders that like to have fun.

EDIT: (works great too) First do a "Search" for the widget in question before asking the same question someone has already found the answer too...

The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. (Albert Einstein)
PacWestGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 10:27 PM   #9
rockchucker22
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
Ha, that was awesome!
rockchucker22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 11:09 PM   #10
Doghouse_Riley
Wannabe Adventure Tourer

Oddometer: 2,019
Sticky this thread!

Here's another one: When you ask a question give it a little time to be noticed by the inmates, like 24 hours; don't come on 2 hours later bitchin' about "why isn't anyone giving me my answer yet?"

Canis meus id comedit.
Doghouse_Riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 11:13 PM   #11
dorkpunch
Oops...

Oddometer: 4,939
one thing you may want to add:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/search.php

"I've been going to this high school for SEVEN YEARS. I'm no dummy!"
-Charles De Mar.
dorkpunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 02:42 AM   #12
Sycamore
d00b

Oddometer: 1,692
Quote:
[*]Are you complaining about the vibration of your bike… having just got off a Gold Wing and on to a four-stroke single for the first time in your life?
[*]Are you complaining about how tall your bike is? You are the person that bought it... right?
[*]Are you complaining in general? Stop it. Grow up. Get a life. Everybody has problems.
Ah! The voice of sanity.

Sticky.
Sycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 05:57 AM   #13
Twotaildog
Old Poop

Oddometer: 1,113
sticky...
KTM 640 ADV - Guzzi Centauro - Husky TE510 - other stuff
...sweet dreams and fine machines in pieces on the ground...
Twotaildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 06:21 AM   #14
husky123
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,455
sticky licky

husky123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 06:33 AM   #15
carlrf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
Oh crap! Now the pressure is on. Do I have to spell correctly too? Being a knoob is so stressfull!
carlrf is offline   Reply With Quote