User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2007, 08:37 AM   #1
Partagas OP
EarthFirst

Oddometer: 224
R1100 Tank Paint

Posted this in the Garage yesterday but no takes yet. Figured I would check out what wisdom Gspot might generate.

Was out this evening looking at the scoot and noticed a bubble in the paint on top of my tank!! Since this is an early "95" model I remember that the decals and paint were a problem and tanks were replaced with metal ones by BMW if the paint started to fail? Think they would still do a replacement at this late date? And if not how does one go about fixing this problem?

Partagas

Partagas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 09:15 AM   #2
Fast_Boy_Slim
Don't call me Wighty

Oddometer: 3,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partagas
Posted this in the Garage yesterday but no takes yet. Figured I would check out what wisdom Gspot might generate.

Was out this evening looking at the scoot and noticed a bubble in the paint on top of my tank!! Since this is an early "95" model I remember that the decals and paint were a problem and tanks were replaced with metal ones by BMW if the paint started to fail? Think they would still do a replacement at this late date? And if not how does one go about fixing this problem?

Partagas

You are kidding right?

Quote:
Treat your throttle and brakes like a pair of b**bies! You go grabbing them hard and you're going to get slapped. You want to massage them nice and smooth. That way the bike will kiss you. Chris Carr
Fast_Boy_Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 01:17 PM   #3
scratchperry
R1100GS rider

Oddometer: 77
I got bubbles. I've seen tanks painted with that bed liner spray. I've seen mixed results
Old 06-27-2007, 05:02 PM   #4
Partagas OP
EarthFirst

Well truth to tell, I am not kidding! I called the local shop and they are looking into getting BMW to replace the tank. Basically it's a safety issue. The paint problem was not due to a bad batch of paint. It is in fact due to the fact that the tank leaks fumes through the fibreglass or whatever material it is made of. This is also apparent if you put a sticker on the tank. I put a Ohlins sticker on mine about a week ago and it has bubbles from gasses pushing from the inside of the tank under the sticker! So I will look to get it replaced because repainting it is not a solution. I guess if anything it shows that the original paint that they used is pretty darn good to have lasted this long!

Partagas
Old 06-27-2007, 10:01 PM   #5
Kongo
Dog's best friend

Oddometer: 537
I was told by a dealer that BMW's recall of these expired years ago. Last winter I put a lot of effort and elbow grease into sanding and scraping mine down to bare plastic. Hoping to fix it for good, I covered the inside of the tank with a 2-part epoxy tank sealer. Then after multiple coats of adhesion promoter, primer, and high-build primer, I had a local custom paint shop spray it with automotove urethane and clear coat. -- Lasted about three weeks. I now have big and small bubbles forming all over it again.

Please post here, or PM to me, if you have any success getting BMW to cover a new tank. My betting is that they will simply tell you that expired long ago, but obviously I am interested in a different outcome.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:54 AM   #6
Partagas OP
EarthFirst

I have read a few posts not unlike yours where folks tried to fix it to no avail. I called my local shop and the service manager, whom I have known since "89" when he loaned me the wrench to take the finned exhaust nut off of my "73" /5, said he would pursue it with BMW and frame it as a safety issue. Obviously fumes are penetrating through the material they used to build the tank with. New tanks cost a pretty penny and this failure is not due to anything us owners have done. I am hoping they come up with some sort of a deal i.e. pro-rating a new metal tank or something like that. I think there are a few folks out there who would like to see how this comes out for a precedent. Obviously resealing and painting ain't doing it!
Old 06-28-2007, 09:37 PM   #7
Mugwest

Oddometer: 5,882
i guess what's not being said here is that you're likely SOL on getting the factory to honor the old tank-replacement warranty thing.

a steel tank from eBay or ADV or ibmr classifieds will likely cost you less than messing w/ repainting the plastic tank. Sell ye plastic on eBay-- you'll move it no problem to hardcore ADV types who could'nt give a shit less about bubbles, stickers, etc

You can use any stock tank for 1100 or 1150 GS's. If you like the pregnant look and want extra wet-weight, you can pony up for the Adventure tank

give the classifieds a try. Less drama.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:57 AM   #8
Partagas OP
EarthFirst

Mugwest, points well taken. I will see what the shop says today and then start looking at other options if that does not pan out. Will let folks know what transpires. Like I said I still think that BMW should honor the warranty. I had a '73' /5 that the paint never bubbled or anything and I guess I expect BMW to be into backing their products to the hilt! HA, I guess I am just a dreamer!! But if we don't pursue this kind of thing and hold their toes to the fire then I think they will try and get away with more and more. For the money they want for their "quality" products there should be some reciprocation!!
Old 06-29-2007, 12:14 PM   #9
openboatt
Don't harsh my mellow

Oddometer: 276
Don't do it.

With the bubbles gone, the 1100 doesn't run right. I'm telling ya... obt.
openboatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 01:27 PM   #10
Pir8te
over forty victim of fate

Oddometer: 1,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugwest
i guess what's not being said here is that you're likely SOL on getting the factory to honor the old tank-replacement warranty thing.

a steel tank from eBay or ADV or ibmr classifieds will likely cost you less than messing w/ repainting the plastic tank. Sell ye plastic on eBay-- you'll move it no problem to hardcore ADV types who could'nt give a shit less about bubbles, stickers, etc

You can use any stock tank for 1100 or 1150 GS's. If you like the pregnant look and want extra wet-weight, you can pony up for the Adventure tank

give the classifieds a try. Less drama.

Not so quick ....they still honor the warrenty on the cast airhead wheels as a safety point
Pir8te is offline   Reply With Quote