Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2007, 10:41 AM   #16
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto
I'm curious too. Actual measurements are good.

FWIW, two weeks drained a brand new Oddyssey battery that was definitely fully charged.
That is why I suspect a draw. Something isn't right if your battery is draining so quickly.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 11:06 AM   #17
tmex
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
Twice I killed my battery. Once by leaving my GPS on for 3 days, and once by leaving my parking lights on for 12 hours. Both resulted in the inability to start the bike. Both times I jump started my bike. I ride only 1.5 miles to work each day, and a similar distance for lunch each day. Long trips on the weekends. 32K miles in 18 months, 110 to 8, rain and sun and snow.

I'll be happy to test the voltage of my battery, but I see no reason why my bike, and my GF's 2 year old R1200ST with 19K miles on it, should be any different than anyone elses. I have never done any battery maintenance on it, and it wouldn't have any need for it anyhow.

I still say, as have many, that there is no need for a battery tender for the average rider. Unless you park your bikes for weeks on end, and rarely ride it, you should never have to worry about it. Hell, my car is more likely to need a jump than my bike I drive it so little.

Jim

PS Just out of curiosity, what background do you have for speculation on battery life and the apparent absolute need for a battery tender? Are you a mechanic, electrical engineer etc?
I am CTO of Trimble Navigation and have advanced degrees in EE and Mathematics. Why don't you just measure the fucking current (not voltage as you mention above). Remove the positive or negative battery connection and stick an amp meter in the circuit. Should take you all of five minutes. Let's quit trying to figure out who is smarter or who is right or wrong. Let's get some hard data from your motorcycle.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:12 AM   #18
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmex
I am CTO of Trimble Navigation and have advanced degrees in EE and Mathematics. Why don't you just measure the fucking current (not voltage as you mention above). Remove the positive or negative battery connection and stick an amp meter in the circuit. Should take you all of five minutes. Let's quit trying to figure out who is smarter or who is right or wrong. Let's get some hard data from your motorcycle.
Dude, take a chill pill.

Its not like I can run outside in the rain, at work and yank the cables off my bike.

IF you are so educated, you should know better than to guess and make assumptions based on virtually NO reliable information.

I just object to people who are guessing at the cause of an issue telling others what they MUST do.

Have a nice day.

Jim
Old 06-13-2007, 11:18 AM   #19
tmex
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Dude, take a chill pill.

Its not like I can run outside in the rain, at work and yank the cables off my bike.

IF you are so educated, you should know better than to guess and make assumptions based on virtually NO reliable information.

I just object to people who are guessing at the cause of an issue telling others what they MUST do.

Have a nice day.

Jim
Guessing ??? I made the measurements. I have the data. You are the one telling people anecdotes from your own experience. If you don't want to get wet and get some data that ain't my fault. Just stop speculating and posting garbage.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:02 PM   #20
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Guessing ??? I made the measurements. I have the data. You are the one telling people anecdotes from your own experience. If you don't want to get wet and get some data that ain't my fault. Just stop speculating and posting garbage.
Are you seriously suggesting I go out in the rain to get you more ancedotal evidence to prove nothing?

Pass, and I'll let you continue on your own.

Jim
Old 06-13-2007, 12:13 PM   #21
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,080
Play Nice Guys

Seems this thread going south fast, but data is indeed data.

I'd be interested in the 'dormant' current draw of my bikes as well but am always reluctant to pull one of the cable to test current draw. I also suspect my el-cheapo Radio Shack digital multi-meter's ammeter is not up the the task of measuring milliamps well. Would've been nice to include that readout on the 'computer'. I guess the old method of pulling the hot cable off of the battery post in the dark, see if there's a spark, ain't exactly scientific
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 12:22 PM   #22
htbyron
n00b - now with a thumper

Oddometer: 287
Quote:
Bet the shareholders love hearing from you!
Old 06-13-2007, 12:29 PM   #23
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,080
Thread Diversion...

Quote:
Not long ago someone chastised me because I was actually talking about the 8 ft accuracy my Garmin 478 (using WAAS) is SOMETIMES capable of, and that the Garmin's are [implied] consumer toys. Guess he was correct. Was I impressed with this:

Precision dual-frequency L1/L2 GPS receiver allows users a variety of accuracy upgrades-based on crop and operation needs-without purchasing an external receiver:
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 01:08 PM   #24
BV BEEMER
Can I see some ID?

Oddometer: 563
I just tried mine.

I got .027, but I don't know what range its in. I'm using a Fluke 78 automotive digital multimeter.

So, I have no Idea if that is normal.

I ride my bike alot and have had no problems so far. I have sensed that it has gotten weak, and but the charger on it, maybe 3 times in the last 5 months. Nothing measured--just my sense of it.
BV BEEMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 02:02 PM   #25
tmex
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Are you seriously suggesting I go out in the rain to get you more ancedotal evidence to prove nothing?

Jim
A measurement is not anecdotal. A measurement is a fact which is as reliable as the measuring equipment and the person doing the measurement. A statement like "I left my bike in the cold and gloom of night for a month and it started" is an anecdote. Yeah, staying dry and staying off this thread would be fine by me. You are not adding anything of value.

To the person above with a meaurement of 0.027, I don't know what to say without a scale factor. If that is 0.027 amps, you are drawing more than five times the current I am with on either of my bikes with the bike off.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:04 PM   #26
tmex
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by htbyron
Bet the shareholders love hearing from you!
Trimble's shareholders are very happy campers at the moment, and I intend to do my best to keep them that way. What I do on my vacation time is my own business.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:23 PM   #27
Emoto OP
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,883
Quote:

Jim
How about when you get home and the bike is out of the rain? I would very much like to know how much yours is drawing if you have the time.

Thanks,

Bob
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 02:25 PM   #28
BV BEEMER
Can I see some ID?

Oddometer: 563
Yeah, I take that back. I had the +lead pluged into the wrong hole on the meter.

Now I get a fluctuation between .000 and .001

The multi meter is waaaay smarter than I.
BV BEEMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 02:26 PM   #29
R1200GSRIDER
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Mine had the same problem with the battery I took it to Sierra BMW in Reno and they fix it. It was a wire in the front of the bike that was Draining the battery they unhooked it and it is fine I think you can call them and ask which wire PH# 775-355-0655
R1200GSRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 05:52 PM   #30
Ken H.
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Normal bike off battery current is about 5 - 7 mv If the bike still has the ZFE module staying up problem it will draw about 300 mv when off.

Oh, and suddenly I'm even more glad I bought GARMIN instead of Trimble. What an emissary that guy is! 93 post and an additude like that!
Ken H. is offline   Reply With Quote