Or is that a different Tmex over there?
250xcf-w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 02:04 PM   #47
Emoto OP
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudcat
My understanding was, if you got 3 years out of it, it did good. The battery only had a 2 year warrantee.
My battery is approaching 3 years now and it has been completely trouble free. The mild climate here has, probably, contributed to that.
My bike lives in a garage heated to 45 degrees in the winter, so that should have helped it to live longer, I would think.

Quote:
Anyway, I am interest in seeing what you find. I can not grasp how the draw of the electrical system affected your new premium battery, apparently, more then it did to your old one.
Quote:
It is not clear that the system is affecting my new battery more than it did the stocker. I say that because there are a number of factors that I have not mentioned because I was more interested in finding out what other people had done if they had the problem. But, since you are really trying to understand it, I will mention that for the first two years of its life, I used the bike as much as possible to commute to a job nearly 50 miles away from my house, so it got plenty of charging by being ridden for 2-3 hours several times a week for as much of the year as I could ride it. However, since June of last year, I have been working out of my house and almost never going to the office, and there has been enough rain on the days that I do have to go in that I don't want to take the bike and put my laptop that has all of my work on it at risk. This means the bike can sit without ever running for a week or two or more at a time. So, the usage and, therefore, charging patterns have changed. Who knows - If I were still putting 400+ miles a week on it, the battery might still be going strong. So, that is a variable whose effect we cannot know.

Also, I have added accessories over time - two sets of lights probably a year or more apart that each have a relay. I've wired lots of stuff, so am not concerned about my wiring being bad, but one or both of those relays could be going south, so they could be causing a drain that could be worsening. Again, no real way of knowing anything, since I did not take a baseline measurement prior to adding the lights.

I will go out to the garage and try to take some measurements of draw both with and without the accessory loop and see what the difference is. Depending on what I see, I may run out to the auto parts store for a fresh relay or two.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 03:45 PM   #48
Emoto OP
Sure, why not?

Ok, using this meter http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search I made some measurements with the circuit to the battery broken, and the meter in between closing the circuit. Digital meters are hard to read for ranges, but I tried to notice the high and low.

The bike itself (1st release 2005 R1200GS) with no accessories:

5.1 - 6.7 mA.

The accessory loop, broken down into components:

Just the fog and driving lights: 0.00 mA
Chatterbox GMRSX-1, connected, but turned off: 130 mA
MixIt2 amplifier, connected, but turned off: 13.56 mA

So, if you start to add all that up, it makes for a serious draw.

Clearly, I MUST disconnect the Chatterbox and MixIt2 amp when the bike is going to be parked. I would not have guessed that turning them off was insufficient, but the meter doesn't lie. Silly me.

So, if I leave the accessories disconnected except when using them (which is very easy to do) my lowest draw will be 5.1 to 6.7 mA. That seems about normal, does it not?
Old 06-15-2007, 07:07 PM   #49
Mudcat
Unregistered

Oddometer: 4,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto
Clearly, I MUST disconnect the Chatterbox and MixIt2 amp when the bike is going to be parked. I would not have guessed that turning them off was insufficient, but the meter doesn't lie. Silly me.
Oh, you have added to the draw on the battery. Thank you for the insight.

I have not been as happy with my GS as most are. But it has been completely reliable and it is a nice bike. But if I start having trouble it is going. I see no reason to think I may begin having battery issues.
Untill I'm ready
Mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 07:15 PM   #50
Emoto OP
Sure, why not?

Quote:
Oh, you have added to the draw on the battery. Thank you for the insight.

I have not been as happy with my GS as most are. But it has been completely reliable and it is a nice bike. But if I start having trouble it is going. I see no reason to think I may begin having battery issues.
Yes. Yes, I did.

Hey, would you mind measuing your draw, if you can? Since you have had pretty good luck with your battery so far, it would be interesting to see how many mA yours pulls.

Everyone has thier limit on what they will accept from a bike before they get rid of it. I hope you never have to face that decision.
Old 06-15-2007, 07:42 PM   #51
johnjen
Mod-U-Later

Oddometer: 15,192
Yes that amount of current is 'normal'.
But be aware that even that amount will, in time, pull your battery down. Most aren't aware that current has a time element as part of it. It is actually 5ma per hour. Just like any battery has an amp/hour rating.

If you do the math, over time ANY current draw will deplete any battery, it's just a matter of how much time. In addition many batteries will loose charge just sitting there. Standard wet lead acid batteries, under some conditions, can loose from 1 to 5% of it's charge PER DAY with no load at all.

There are some 'exceptions'. Under some conditions Odyssey batteries can hold a charge for years due to it being an AGM type of battery.

JJ
Old 06-15-2007, 07:42 PM   #52
Mudcat
Unregistered

Quote:
Hey, would you mind measuing your draw, if you can? Since you have had pretty good luck with your battery so far, it would be interesting to see how many mA yours pulls.
Sure. I donít have the tool but Iíll get one and report back. It is likely to be a week or more though.
Untill I'm ready
Old 06-16-2007, 04:59 AM   #53
Emoto OP
Sure, why not?

Quote:
Sure. I donít have the tool but Iíll get one and report back. It is likely to be a week or more though.
Thanks! I'll bet there are other ADVriders in the bay area, if you want to borrow a meter.

FWIW, I keep that little one of mine right in my tank bag so that I can use it if I or anyone I am riding with ever run into a problem.

Public Service Announcement: Don't forget that after disconnecting and reconnecting your battery, you need to reset your system by turning on the ignition, letting the self-check run, and then slowly rolling open the throttle to full open 2x.
Old 06-16-2007, 08:06 AM   #54
drdata
R1200GS

Oddometer: 2,070
Quote:
Thanks! I'll bet there are other ADVriders in the bay area, if you want to borrow a meter.

FWIW, I keep that little one of mine right in my tank bag so that I can use it if I or anyone I am riding with ever run into a problem.

Public Service Announcement: Don't forget that after disconnecting and reconnecting your battery, you need to reset your system by turning on the ignition, letting the self-check run, and then slowly rolling open the throttle to full open 2x.
Do any of you have the oem or after market alarms? My battery is doing OK, almost 3 years now, but does get slow after sitting a while. Like Emoto, I'm no longer commuting regularly, so I bought a BT+, wired straight to the battery. I have a scorpio alarm, and some hella driving lights/hyperlights, so I should have low-ish draw. I got the meters, just low on motivation.
Old 06-23-2007, 03:56 PM   #55
Mudcat
Unregistered

Quote:
Thanks! I'll bet there are other ADVriders in the bay area, if you want to borrow a meter. .
I borrowed a meter. I seem to have a 5 ma drain. Electrical system is stock, I do have an alarm system but I have never turned it on; I donít even know how any longer.
I canít see how 5 ma would drain the battery in 30 days. Anyway, my bike has set for long periods. I have never had a problem with the battery, though there have been times I thought it might be weak.
My rides tend to be longish, I am out for the day.
Untill I'm ready
Old 06-23-2007, 04:11 PM   #56
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,080
Quote:
I borrowed a meter. I seem to have a 5 ma drain. Electrical system is stock, I do have an alarm system but I have never turned it on; I donít even know how any longer.
I canít see how 5 ma would drain the battery in 30 days. Anyway, my bike has set for long periods. I have never had a problem with the battery, though there have been times I thought it might be weak.
Seems low to me, but perhaps, coupled with the 'natural' discharge (non-parasitic) of a battery, which of course is dependent on many things, age being one, well, it does contribute.
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 09:13 PM   #57
Emoto OP
Sure, why not?

Quote:
So, that seems to be a typical drain. Cool. I will keep an eye on mine, bt am no longer too concerned.

DrData, I have the factory alarm but have never used it.
Old 06-24-2007, 02:38 AM   #58
Mudcat
Unregistered

Quote:
So, that seems to be a typical drain. Cool. I will keep an eye on mine, bt am no longer too concerned.
Neither am I but I still do not see how a 5 ma drain could possibly drain the battery in 30 days. I must be figuring it wrong or don’t understand the units. I come up with 3600 ma in 30 days.
Ahh, as I look at the numbers I have written it occurs to me, 3600 ma is 3.6 Amps. That could do it.
Untill I'm ready

Mudcat screwed with this post 06-24-2007 at 02:55 AM
Old 06-24-2007, 04:28 AM   #59
Emoto OP
Sure, why not?

Quote:
Neither am I but I still do not see how a 5 ma drain could possibly drain the battery in 30 days. I must be figuring it wrong or donít understand the units. I come up with 3600 ma in 30 days.
Ahh, as I look at the numbers I have written it occurs to me, 3600 ma is 3.6 Amps. That could do it.

What I don't understand is how the amperage loss relates to voltage. I also don't know if a battery loses proportionately more as it gets weaker, or perhaps better said loses its charge more quickly as it weakens, even with a constant drain.
Old 06-24-2007, 11:51 AM   #60
Mudcat
Unregistered

Quote:
What I don't understand is how the amperage loss relates to voltage.
I do not have a good understanding of this but:
Voltage is a measurement of the force of the current.
Amperage is a measurement of the current.
So, intuitively, a drop in amperage results in a loss of voltage.

The stock battery is rated at 12 volts, 14 amp hours. But what does 14AH mean? The drain we are measuring is in mili amps per hour.
Untill I'm ready