Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2007, 02:39 PM   #1
Don't Panic OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Leather Boots - will they shrink or stretch?

I've had a pair of aerostich combat lites for about a year that I've liked, but they were a little too big. I just got another pair, a half size smaller, thinking if the fit was right I'd sell the old ones. The new ones are very very snug. If they were to stretch a smidge they would be fine. If I switch the sole liner to something thinner, the fit perfect.

I'm just wondering - is it peoples experience that leather, leather boots in particular, tend to shrink a little, or stretch a little? Basically if these were to shrink on me I would be really up the creek.

Please advise.

Unrelated picture added for the general good, taken along the route detailed here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163609
Don't Panic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 02:44 PM   #2
Jeffro115
Redemption.

Oddometer: 4,162
Never tried the Combats.

I've had three pair of high end leather boots. I think that boots pretty much have to fit and feel good right out of the box for them to be comfortable down the road. That is, if they don't feel good on day one, they probably won't feel much better a month or a year from now, either.

That said, new boots are a little stiff, and that goes away. Also, boots do stretch out some over time. If it were up to me though, I wouldn't rely on them stretching to fit comfortably. Unless you're only talking a tiny amount of stretch. Like the snug (but not too tight) feeling you have now.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:47 PM   #3
Jeffro115
Redemption.

Oddometer: 4,162
Wear them around the house for a week and try to break them in a bit. See if they're ok or if you have to send them back.

That way, they won't be all dirty and stuff, still look new.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:51 PM   #4
coop74
Deal's Gap Junkie

Oddometer: 2,169
Fitment

Put on the thickest pair of socks you have and go get in a real hot shower and walk around with them for about a half hour after being the water for about 10 minutes. Make sure they get wet on the inside as well.

They will stretch and mold to your feet....

Coop
coop74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 04:49 PM   #5
Florida Bob
Left the building

Oddometer: 74
return if possible or ebay them

Having spent way to many years in the mens shoe business, I would suggest you return them if not worn. Sidi which makes the combat lite is a quality maker. The construction and leather quality if very good. This equals no stretch. Another important factor is the way your feet are positioned when riding. If the boot is too short or narrow, you are in for a painful afternoon. Good luck with your problem
Florida Bob is offline   Reply With Quote