User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2007, 12:54 PM   #1
cueball OP
should'a walked it first

Oddometer: 738
transalp parts source

ok guys, i need your experience & help!!
just bought a 89 transalp---the 2 local honda dealers looked at me like i had 2 heads when i asked about parts!! where is the best place to buy things like both sprockets & a chain---which i need asap?? i also need a front brake light switch, oil filter etc. should i go with stock gearing?? it seems to go just fine as is, though a little better acceleration wuldn't hurt.
any help appreciated!!
cueball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 02:02 PM   #2
PacificPT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 977
Welcome

Welcome to the Transalp community! Intersting about your local dealer, mine can get any part needed. Make sure to check out the show us your Transalp modification thread. Try these two sources.

twistedthrootle.com

Babbitsonline.com

They often will have what you need. For tires I really like tiresunlimited.com

Ride and have fun.
PacificPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 02:59 PM   #3
mas335
xendurist

Oddometer: 1,734
Transalp parts

Howdy, Your Honda dealer is an idiot. OEM Transalp parts are easily obtained from Honda. I have purchased a ton of parts while restoring one of my 89 Transalps and have never had a problem with availability. Try www. ridenow.com. Great people to deal with and cheaper than normal dealer prices. It amazes me to see parts selling on Ebay for more than I can buy them new!

I sometimes think about dropping the gearing a bit but the stock gearing does work fine.

Like a lot of Honda dealers they just are not familiar with Transalps and have probably never even seen one.

The oil filter is a common item shared by a lot of Honda models, chains are available from DID and others. Brake light switch should be no problem to order.

Enjoy the bike, I have never been more pleased with a bike purchase as when I bought my first T/A.

mas335 screwed with this post 11-29-2008 at 03:52 PM
mas335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 03:03 PM   #4
ghostdncr
Burnin' daylight...

Oddometer: 1,122
I'd been going to the same Honda dealer for about a year with the same results as you. When told I had an XL600V Transalp, the parts dweeb scowled, sneered, and asked "What the hell is THAT?!?!?!". Bunch of asshats.

Not long ago I tried another Honda dealer across the river in Louisville. The guys know all about the TA, they have a mechanic who was around "back in the day", and they were even familiar with the XR suspension conversion I'm currently in the middle of. Really helped sort out the brake issues and saved some serious time and money in the process by suggesting alternate parts.

Best parts source I've found so far? Probably eBay, with Station Park Honda (Louisville) being a close second.

As far as gearing goes, I've never felt compelled to change from stock. It's low enough to pack the front end over drops, yet still high enough to cruise at 75-80 mph. I chose the TA because it does most things acceptably well, and I think the stock gearing plays a fair part in that.
ghostdncr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 03:32 PM   #5
cueball OP
should'a walked it first

Oddometer: 738
pic

here she is
Attached Images

cueball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 05:50 PM   #6
locorider
Loco, pero no estúpido!

Oddometer: 2,290
This is what I know so far...

I've checked 2 sites here in the US:

http://www.hdlparts.com/fiche_sectio...1989&fveh=4191

and

http://www.bikebandit.com/partsbandi...dept_id=174409

Both sites allow you to go through the pictures on the microfiche.

Good luck!
"If you don't follow your dreams, you might as well be a vegetable", Burt Munro, The World's Fastest Indian

"Avoiding danger is no safer than outright exposure. Life is a daring adventure, or nothing" - Helen Keller

Longaniza Ride
Ruta del Café
locorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 07:21 PM   #7
TARider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
TA PArts

Also try:

Service Honda http://www.servicehonda.com

Their prices and service are pretty good!.
2004 XR400R E-Start
TARider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 07:08 AM   #8
zippymon
Life is good

Oddometer: 123
xr converion for the TA

What does an xr conversion entail as far as suspension modifications go for the TA? I just purchased a well loved 89 with the stock suspension and am curious?
zippymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 02:14 PM   #9
arroyoshark
Needing some space

Oddometer: 2,129
www.discounthondaparts.com
arroyoshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 02:22 PM   #10
Nightrunner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,026
Cue, Congrats. Good choice. T/A's were way underappreciated in the U.S. Parts sources were well adressed above. Check Transalp.org for a dedicated chat group. If you go to mod it here's some info:

Exhausts: Only 2 brands left. Laser Pro Duro comes in quiet and sport version, and Remus in sport version. Staintune and Supertrapp have discontinued T/A exhausts but they come up on ebay once in a while.

Suspension: Wilbers, or Works Suspension both make a decent shock. I was told Ohlins is discontinued, and Progressive used to make a 420 series but no more. Progressive still makes fork springs for it

Carbs: K&N filter is available and dynojet makes a jet kit but most owners find a big penalty in gas mileage.

Other: Tall screens and Corbin seats are available. Givi makes a decent set of engine guards (check HappyTrail.com). Motad used to make some nice SS ones but no more. Also see TwistedThrottle for a nice skid plate.

Paniers: HappyTrail makes mounts that will accept thier aluminum paniers as well as the Givi boxes. Wolfman Explorer (or Expl lite) tank bag is a nice fit for the T/A's tapered tank.

Brakes: There a nice upgrade for the front brake. Pick up a rotor for 89-91 Honda Hawk on ebay and get Steve Lenac's adapter for the caliper. Details in the T/A mod thread mentioned above.

Must do: see if you have the newer mount for the CDI boxes under the seat. CDI's tend to go out on this bike and the newer rubber mount helps. If the connectors are on top, its the old one. If the CDI's are horizontal (i.e. connectors toward the right side of bike) then its been replaced. Its only a $10 part. CDI's are about $100 so its worth it.

Enjoy the new ride!

Some places remain unknown because no one has ever ventured forth. Others remain so because no one has ever come back.
Nightrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 02:22 PM   #11
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,195
a xr600 front end is supposed to bolt right up. I have an earlier xr600 triple with forks and a late model set of 600 forks also, I promised to Ray I'll send pics ( gotta get off my dead ass) but if you need to take a look at them, measurements etc.. I'm just south of you

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippymon
What does an xr conversion entail as far as suspension modifications go for the TA? I just purchased a well loved 89 with the stock suspension and am curious?
Old 06-15-2007, 04:20 PM   #12
zippymon
Life is good

Oddometer: 123
Thanks Chile, I'll drop you a line and take a ride down Chuckanut for a visit.
zippymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 04:53 PM   #13
drivefastandswerve
Indianapolis

Oddometer: 154
Wicked New Transalp?

Ok, new for me, picking one up on Monday, and am very excited, should be a blast to ride the 12 hour trip home, at least, I hope so!!
drivefastandswerve is offline   Reply With Quote