Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2014, 09:40 PM   #1
Razzeaux OP
Reluctant Wanderer

Oddometer: 73
Sept 13-28, 4,500 miles. Riding West in memory of my good friend Bill.

I was introduced to riding by Bill. Bill had been one of my first friends when I moved to town. Bill was always pushing me to get outside that "comfort zone". Bill passed unexpectedly and suddenly in November. Last September Bill and a couple friends made a trip out west. Bill was one of those guys who lived life full speed. The trip last year was September 14-27. Here are few pictures from their trip last year.

Bill and Trey (Bill is the bald guy)

Bill pushing the limits.

The BMWs

Bill

I have the time off work and I'm planning a solo trip out west September 13-28. As I was writing this, this is the first I realized that my trip is almost the exact dates of their trip last year. I've read ride reports on ADV for over 2 years and I've read about the different reasons people ride. In the Spring of 2013, I rode to Key West from Dallas. On that trip, I was constantly texting Bill about the new things I was experiencing. That was my first long trip. I've not ridden a long trip since.

My route at this time is as follows. Dallas to Yellowstone. Yellowstone to Lake Tahoe. Lake Tahoe to San Diego. San Diego back to Dallas. Things I want to see on this trip are: Yellowstone, a bear, the Grand Tetons, the Salt Flats in Utah, Lake Tahoe, Yosemite, a redwood tree, the Grand Canyon, Monument Valley.This is my first trip out west.

This ride for me is to celebrate Bill's life, see the west and meet some great people. This ride is to get outside my comfort zone. If you see a yellow BMW GSA will Texas plates on the road during that time, feel free to wave. If you have thoughts about this trip, places I need to see, etc. Feel free to share them.

Razzeaux screwed with this post 08-13-2014 at 06:06 AM
Razzeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:12 PM   #2
roberts
GS'er

Oddometer: 448
This sounds like a great way to honor your friend Bill and the motorcycling support he gave you. The motorcycling community is a good one, and I hope that you meet some interesting people and see some great things on your ride. You are definitely going to some beautiful places!
roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:20 PM   #3
Scubalong
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 827
Sorry for the loss of your friend Bill.
When you in South Cal let us know I am sure myself or other inmate would love to show you around.
Scubalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 12:01 PM   #4
Razzeaux OP
Reluctant Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberts View Post
This sounds like a great way to honor your friend Bill and the motorcycling support he gave you. The motorcycling community is a good one, and I hope that you meet some interesting people and see some great things on your ride. You are definitely going to some beautiful places!
Thank you. I've been reluctant to get into this community so far. That's one of the things Bill was always on my ass about. Sitting on the sidelines.
Old 08-16-2014, 12:03 PM   #5
Razzeaux OP
Reluctant Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubalong View Post
Sorry for the loss of your friend Bill.
When you in South Cal let us know I am sure myself or other inmate would love to show you around.
Thank you for the kind words. I'll give you a heads up when I get to SoCal. When I'm on the ride, I'll post "lightly" here. I'll post each night and each morning. So if there's other inmates out there who want to connect, we'll have a way to do that.

My schedule is just a guide. Once I get on the road, I'll just see where I end up.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:23 PM   #6
Razzeaux OP
Reluctant Wanderer

A little over a week until I leave

Well, it's a little over a week before I leave on this trip. I've been prepping the bike and looking over my Butler maps. On the trip, I'll be breaking in my new Bill Mayer seat made by Rocky Mayer.

Can't wait to get on the bike and make this trip happen.
Old 09-06-2014, 10:33 PM   #7
Razzeaux OP
Reluctant Wanderer

Odds and ends for the road

Tonight, I was reading a Butler book about riding in Montana and in it they listed things to bring along on long trip. My GSA is in good shape and ready to go and I have a tool bag, first aid kit and other odd things. I'm working on my bag of odds and ends that might help me out in a jam.

I'm leaving for my trip on Saturday, it's hard to believe it's less than week away. I'm having a decal prepared for my bike to honor my friend Bill, I should have it back by Wednesday.

Razzeaux screwed with this post 09-07-2014 at 10:48 AM
Razzeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 12:34 AM   #8
Razzeaux OP
Reluctant Wanderer

Spot

I decided to purchase a SPOT for this trip. I spent this afternoon testing it and contacting family members and letting them now about it. Also went to REI for a dry sack to keep my laptop in. My brake lock, bike cover, loop cable, and tire pump/repair kit came in today. Have gear laid out all over my place.

As this trip gets closer, it's bringing back the memories of my friend.
Old 09-13-2014, 09:05 PM   #9
Razzeaux OP
Reluctant Wanderer

Day 1

I started today at 6:30 am. It was cold. At my first gas stop, I put on warmer gloves and my down vest under my jacket. At this stop I met 3 guys who had just came back from new Mexico and they said it was cold all the way they had come. Decision time. Do I go as planned or turn back?

Well I decided to go as planned. They sky's cleared but it still was chilly. When I headed north on 287 from Amarillo, I had my first wow moment. I've never been to or ridden in this part of the country. The bigness was awesome! It was still pretty windy.

By the time I reached raton it had warmed to the 70's. They sky was blue. A great day to ride. Tomorrow I'm off to Wyoming.

I'm going to post real time when I can. I'll add pictures when I get home.
Old 09-13-2014, 09:15 PM   #10
Razzeaux OP
Reluctant Wanderer

I'd like to add I met several groups of very friendly riders. This is what bill would have been pushing me to do.
Old 09-21-2014, 11:44 AM   #11
Razzeaux OP
Reluctant Wanderer

Flat tire in Beullton, CA

Sorry I've not kept u up to date on my journey. I've had my first flat tire on the road. Im in buellton,CA. I was able to make it to the Marriott. Are there any adv riders closeby?
Old 10-04-2014, 07:42 PM   #12
Razzeaux OP
Reluctant Wanderer

Day 1 Saturday, September 13

These are the pictures for Day 1. I'm back from the ride, it was quite and adventure for me. I did not get a chance to post about this trip in real time so I will follow up now. I look forward to comments about this trip and possibly meeting some riders I can ride along with on my next trip.

Old 10-04-2014, 09:08 PM   #13
boatpuller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 461
Heated gear

Too late to help on this trip, but you should invest in heated jacket (or vest) and gloves. Also get the dual controller. These things are so much better than down.

It's always emotion-filled to take a trip honoring a good friend and mentor. Hope you came through it with peace and satisfaction. RIP to your good friend.
boatpuller is offline   Reply With Quote