Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2007, 09:49 PM   #16
ganshert
not sleeping

Oddometer: 8,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by warnabrother
ummm.. I change all my own tyres and have never had a problem getting the valve through the hole.. nor thought how neat a valve puller would be...

I fit the tube inside the tyre first, line up the hole on the rim.. poke the valve through the hole.. tighten the nut.. fit tyre..

what aren't you guys doing that you need a special tool to fit the tube ???

I am not trying to be a smart ass... just interested why you'd need a tool...

Good tech regardless
Hey look, somebodys telling creeper how to work on a bike

Is it opposites day and I missed the memo?
ganshert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 10:40 PM   #17
judjonzz
Beastly

Oddometer: 1,998
I have a couple of those things, one that I bought from late KLR guru Dave Jakeman, and another that a clubbie made a batch of as party favors. I keep them in my tool kits as karmic prophylaxis. I have yet to use either one, but I figure as long as I have them I won't need them.

I have been known to loan them out on occasion.
Old 06-15-2007, 05:58 AM   #18
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,844
Quote:
I just use my lever to lift the backside of the tyre up.. line the valve up with the hole and down she pops...

Never knew people had "issues" fitting them...

Oh well.. great tool anyways..
When you have a heavy knobby with a stiff sidewall (the absolute worst is the Trelleborg spiked tires for winter riding) it keeps squeezing closed as you work. The worst case is if you have a flat and remove one sidewall to patch or replace a tube and the other side of the tire still has the bead seated you are spreading the tire pretty far to get a hand inside.

I have thought about building a tool just like this but was trying to figure a way to do it by modifying a used valve core. Never thought about taking apart a tool like Creeper did.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 10:49 PM   #19
creeper OP
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
A bit of an update... for them that are interested in the ready made tool with ally handle.

The tool is made by DRC Products (A Japanese company that makes a variety of interesting widgets) are available from, besides Pit Posse... Langston Racing, Wheeling Cycle Supply and CRFs Only.

C
Old 06-15-2007, 10:53 PM   #20
warnabrother
.. if you see the Rozzers

Oddometer: 2,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket
When you have a heavy knobby with a stiff sidewall (the absolute worst is the Trelleborg spiked tires for winter riding) it keeps squeezing closed as you work. The worst case is if you have a flat and remove one sidewall to patch or replace a tube and the other side of the tire still has the bead seated you are spreading the tire pretty far to get a hand inside.
I appreciate that.. I run pretty stiff sidewalled knobbies MC4/6, S12's etc.. I know what you mean... but as far as I am concerned.. it's all in the techinque.. you seen that vid on transworld
Old 06-15-2007, 10:58 PM   #21
beefjerky
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,248
Has anybody thought of reaming the hole a little bigger? Just seems like the hole is only 1/1000th of an inch bigger than the stem. Do you think there would be issues if I made the hole a little smaller than the nut?
beefjerky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 11:01 PM   #22
warnabrother

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefjerky
Has anybody thought of reaming the hole a little bigger? Just seems like the hole is only 1/1000th of an inch bigger than the stem. Do you think there would be issues if I made the hole a little smaller than the nut?
I dont do my nuts up anyway.. rimlocks hold the tube in place..

I never realised people were having such trouble with their tubes.. just spoke to a mate and he has never had a problem either.. maybe the tubes we get in Oz are different
Old 06-15-2007, 11:05 PM   #23
beefjerky
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I dont do my nuts up anyway.. rimlocks hold the tube in place..

I never realised people were having such trouble with their tubes.. just spoke to a mate and he has never had a problem either.. maybe the tubes we get in Oz are different

I'd like to see how you do it where it's not even the slightest bit of a pain in the ass.

I'd bet that your holes are bigger
Old 06-15-2007, 11:13 PM   #24
warnabrother

dont think my holes are bigger...

If fitting new tyre I fit tube in tyre first.. inflate tube to around 30psi... put valve through hole.. do up nut.. release pressure in tube to around 5psi.. fit tyre as per normal...

If just fitting new tube i.e. puncture repair... inflate tube a little to hold shape... stuff tube in tyre.. on reverse side of tyre lift tube and tyre with lever with right hand.. with left hand thread valve into hole.. lower tyre and tube.. fit tyre as normal... I use the same technique as the guy in the transworld vid when repairing tubes... see how easy it drops in http://www.transworldmotocross.com/m...569040,00.html
Old 06-15-2007, 11:29 PM   #25
beefjerky
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
dont think my holes are bigger...

If fitting new tyre I fit tube in tyre first.. inflate tube to around 30psi... put valve through hole.. do up nut.. release pressure in tube to around 5psi.. fit tyre as per normal...

If just fitting new tube i.e. puncture repair... inflate tube a little to hold shape... stuff tube in tyre.. on reverse side of tyre lift tube and tyre with lever with right hand.. with left hand thread valve into hole.. lower tyre and tube.. fit tyre as normal... I use the same technique as the guy in the transworld vid when repairing tubes... see how easy it drops in http://www.transworldmotocross.com/m...569040,00.html

I'm not sayin it's all that difficult or anything, but that dood on the video got lucky. AND it depends on the rim/tire combo. My front DRZ tire is always really easy, but the rear tire on my F650 is a pain in the ass.
Old 06-15-2007, 11:33 PM   #26
warnabrother

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefjerky
I'm not sayin it's all that difficult or anything, but that dood on the video got lucky. AND it depends on the rim/tire combo. My front DRZ tire is always really easy, but the rear tire on my F650 is a pain in the ass.
well, then I must get lucky ALOT... .... anyway.. hijack over.. mmmmmkay...

great ingenuity mate... a solution to a problem you had
Old 06-16-2007, 05:52 AM   #27
JAFO
displaced Jeep guy.....

Oddometer: 3,974
nice work. I'll be stealing the idea... :)
JAFO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 06:32 PM   #28
R_W
wannabe

Oddometer: 4,126
Barb sells one for those of you without the time or skills. Look for the tube snake thread in vendors.
Old 06-16-2007, 06:49 PM   #29
JAFO
displaced Jeep guy.....

Oddometer: 3,974
yeah, for $25. No thanks...
JAFO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 07:27 PM   #30
NothingClever
Dirt Winger

Oddometer: 1,097
Warnabrother,

I have a bunch of buddies I work with who are from Oz. We jump out of planes and run around in the middle of the night with guns.

I thought they were all good guys but now that I think about it, they all wear gloves.

Man, are they gonna be surprised when I tell 'em that I know the real deal about the gloves 'cuz one of their countrymen let me in on the secret. Thanks for clearing everything up for me.

Oh, and the next time I run into a really stiff sidewall on a remote ride, I'll know to refuse the use of a valve stem cable tool 'cuz you ARE THE MAN and the rest of us can only hope to have a set of fur apples as big as yours.

Uhhh, not.

And a little Swedish rocket from Varese, Italy has me a mile high

NothingClever is offline   Reply With Quote