Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2007, 06:51 PM   #31
DougRoost
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 395
Here's another that many swear by which is very similar to what you made. It's works out to be cheaper than the Pit Posse one because his shipping is cheaper (tip - if buying from Pit Posse get a few more things, like their Zip Ty knock-off 17" spoons).

http://www.arizonatrailtalk.com/zstan.htm

To me it comes down to if you want one of these, you have to decide if you want the loop end like this one, the aluminum T handle like Pit Posse, or the valve core remover like Tube Snake.

The 17" spoons were the best investment to me since they make a tire change a fair fight!

Austin MotoSports Association www.amsaclub.org
DougRoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 06:53 PM   #32
motometal
i like motorcycles

Oddometer: 3,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pally McGee
I'm still trying to figure out why we need to wear gloves while working on our bikes. Used to be a time when a little grease under the fingernails was worn proudly, like a merit badge, or a symbol of passage.
and in response to the other guy with the homo comment...

regarding wearing work gloves, well...I happen to work with my hands alot and finally got sick of having torn up hands...so it depends what I'm doing, but it's just dumb not to wear gloves for certain tasks.

regarding wearing nitrile or chemical resistant gloves...if you work with solvents, brake cleaner, carb cleaner, gasoline, paint, paint strippers, or used motor oil...if you would prefer to trash your organs and/or develope a skin condition from absorbsion of these chemicals, knock yourself out. I did enough damage from that in the first 20 years of my life wrenching to last a lifetime...now I wear gloves. If that makes me less of a man, or less heterosexual, than I guess I don't follow but whatever.

It's also pretty nice to go from having the gloves covered with grime, air filter oil, etc. to easilly pulling them off to answer the phone, go in the house etc. with no need to wash hands.
motometal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 01:05 PM   #33
NothingClever
Dirt Winger

Oddometer: 1,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by motometal
It's also pretty nice to go from having the gloves covered with grime, air filter oil, etc. to easilly pulling them off to answer the phone, go in the house etc. with no need to wash hands.
Oooooh, that means Motometal is a fag....Motometal is a glove-wearing, hairy-back hugger, a hairy-back hugger....nanny-nanny-boo-boo.....he's a gay glove guy, a gay glove guy.

Just kidding, bro....I'm with you. I wear gloves when I shoot, I wear gloves when I wrench, I wear gloves when I drive (HMMWV), I wear gloves when I'm in the woods/jungle/desert/alpine environment.....gloves are good.

There's smart macho and dumb macho. Warnabrother, the toughest men your country has to offer are smart macho. Don't be such a goof.....you'll be an embarrassment to all the smart Australians, dude.

And a little Swedish rocket from Varese, Italy has me a mile high

NothingClever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 01:21 PM   #34
creeper OP
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
And to think... this all started with a simple, pennytech stem puller.

Old 09-13-2007, 02:30 PM   #35
JAFO
displaced Jeep guy.....

Oddometer: 3,974
if you two are done comparing sizes, let's get back to good pennytech.....
JAFO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 05:22 PM   #36
warnabrother
.. if you see the Rozzers

Oddometer: 2,022
wow - its amazing how people always turn things into a personal attack when they dont have any relevant comments to make..

For all your info.. I am actually South African (not Aus) and no I dont wear gloves when working on my bike/car/hose etc..

It amazes me how this thread has turned from me saying that I have never felt the need for this tool into a WB bash.. farking get over it.. if you feel the need to defend your "glove wearing" by all means.. but dont make it personal asshats
Old 09-13-2007, 06:32 PM   #37
OnOff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,614
For $3.79, I use this one

Slicker than snot. Small and lightweight and it's a multi tool!
http://www.doityourself.com/invt/6281174
Cleans threads, deflates tire, core remover and fishing tool. Rolls up and fits in your hand. Weighs a couple ounces.
OnOff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 08:19 PM   #38
motometal
i like motorcycles

Oddometer: 3,439
sorry I took it even more off topic...I just couldn't let that one go. If I helped even one person extend their life by wearing a 17 cent pair of gloves instead of absorbing toluene or methylethylketone into their liver and kidneys, maybe it's worth it.

when I was a 16 year old kid cleaning up old car parts in a five gallon pail with gasoline up to my elbows, if someone came up and said "that's stupid, you should be wearing protection" I may have thanked them and complied...or I might have said, "you think I'm some kinda queer or something?" who knows
motometal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 03:31 PM   #39
OnOff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,614
solvents...

Quote:
Originally Posted by motometal
sorry I took it even more off topic...I just couldn't let that one go. If I helped even one person extend their life by wearing a 17 cent pair of gloves instead of absorbing toluene or methylethylketone into their liver and kidneys, maybe it's worth it.

when I was a 16 year old kid cleaning up old car parts in a five gallon pail with gasoline up to my elbows, if someone came up and said "that's stupid, you should be wearing protection" I may have thanked them and complied...or I might have said, "you think I'm some kinda queer or something?" who knows
I work in Neurology at a major medical center. I can't begin to tell you the amount of nerve damage we see from solvents on mechanics hands. I work with solvents all the time and always wear gloves. You bring up some excellent points.
OnOff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 03:35 PM   #40
warnabrother
.. if you see the Rozzers

Oddometer: 2,022
cleaning parts elbow deap in gasoline is different to changing a tyre..

this is just getting silly now.. a half in jest comment has been blown out of proportion..

im unsubscribing from this topic now.. flame all you want
Old 09-14-2007, 08:22 PM   #41
ditchbanker
Owner of dull user line

Oddometer: 1,143
Wow. Amazing.

Oh, the tool is pretty cool, too.

As mentioned above, Alaska Leathers sells one for considerably more ($25).
http://www.alaskaleather.com/tubesnake.html
I would have been completely satisfied with mine until you came along and showed me how I blew $20...

--Heath
ditchbanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 02:06 PM   #42
Remarksman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
That looks cool but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOff
Slicker than snot. Small and lightweight and it's a multi tool!
http://www.doityourself.com/invt/6281174
Cleans threads, deflates tire, core remover and fishing tool. Rolls up and fits in your hand. Weighs a couple ounces.
That looks cool, but I can't tell from the tiny picture: does the fishing part screw INTO the valve stem (like the penny-tech tool), or does that kind of metal valve cover looking thing go over it like the plastic dust cap?
If it goes over, I don't think it would work, since my holes are small
Remarksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 03:25 PM   #43
judjonzz
Beastly

Oddometer: 1,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remarksman
That looks cool, but I can't tell from the tiny picture: does the fishing part screw INTO the valve stem (like the penny-tech tool), or does that kind of metal valve cover looking thing go over it like the plastic dust cap?
If it goes over, I don't think it would work, since my holes are small
That one fits over the stem, which as you observe, renders it quite useless, unless you have a tubeless rim with its larger hole for the stem, in which case it is still useless. That is why the discount tool guy at the swap meets always sells them for about half a buck. They are not a complete waste of money at that price, since the other end has a thread-on cap to depress the Schraeder valve , and a tool on the other side to remove the valve.
Old 09-19-2007, 03:58 PM   #44
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper
And to think... this all started with a simple, pennytech stem puller.

hiya creeper,

the shite sure can pile high on the net eh?

almost resettled,
MP

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 09:26 PM   #45
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,427
So I was bored and decided to read all of meats info in his Encyclopedia Britanica of LC-$ and I gots a question!

What is the diameter and pitch of a valve core? I guess metric or sae might help.

Hiya David, twice in a week I think.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote