Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2007, 07:18 PM   #31
LukasM OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,330
I have worked on the bike quite a bit since the last update. Only had the camera with me today though, so I decided to wait for some pictures before posting again.

There has been progress but also quite a few setbacks, so LEARN FROM MY MISTAKES!!!

First up was the rear shock linkage. I didn’t notice any problems with this before taking the bike apart, but decided that a clean and regrease would definitely not be a bad idea.

When I had taken it apart to start cleaning the bearings, I saw that one of them was missing two needles. Of course they were nowhere to be found, damn! I guess that they fell out during disassembly.

So I had to wait a couple of days for a replacement to arrive at the dealer. Once I had that, I just took out two needles and put them in the old bearing cage. I didn’t have a bearing puller and there was no wear on the bushing as far as I can tell, so I hope that this won’t be a problem.

Stuffed them full of grease and put the linkage back on the bike. Hope I did it right

Old 06-21-2007, 07:44 PM   #32
LukasM OP
Beastly Adventurer

Next was the front wheel. The one I have is from a 2005 EXC, which comes with a 26mm axle that fits into WP 48 forks. My WP 43s have a 20mm axle, and there is no factory solution to use the newer style wheels. The other way is easy with fork bushings but I will either have to make some custom spacers or re-lace the wheels with a 20mm hub. Either way a PITA!

I tried to fit the engine (now sporting the lovely metal base gasket) into the frame from the left side as the factory manual states, but managed nothing other than to scratch the frame. Turns out the powder coat is not as tough as I had hoped! Tried it again from the right side, and with a bit of wiggling got it in there. It is definitely not light, with the oil cooler and oil it weighs about 110 lbs.

As you can see in the last picture, I also trial mounted an old handle bar I had laying around while waiting for my Pro Taper to arrive. This is when I came across another problem: The mounting kit attaches with a nut from the lower side, which will contact the Suzuki steering lock receiver on the steering stem.

I took out the grinder and tried to remove as much as possible while damaging as little of the new PC finish as possible. Came out ok and there is plenty of clearance now (but my bearings don't fit, but I will post about that again in more detail). At some point I plan on mounting a Rallye style fairing on the front, so I will probably have to weld on some kind of bracket anyway.
Another solution would be to use an EXC or SX upper triple like Gsuser (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...34#post4065534), they have the bars solid mounted from the top only (LC4 is rubber mounted with a through-bolt and nut).

While having the grinder out, my weight phobia gave me some more stupid ideas. With a lot of restraint I only went through with one of them: Removing the helmet lock! I never use it, and the powdercoaters didn’t mask it off properly so it wasn’t working anyway.

The result: ½ a pound less! Would have hoped for more, but better than nothing. Still gotta touch up the frame here as well so it won’t rust.

The bike is farther alonng already, but the camera battery died, so you can read and see more pictures next time. Here is a small sneak preview

Old 06-21-2007, 11:27 PM   #33
sixer
I suffer from Ainrofilac

Oddometer: 1,220
Looks great with the WP forks. I can't wait to see the finished product. Keep at it.

Support your local Search and Rescue Teams.
sixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 12:24 PM   #34
Calibre
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
Just for next time, that helmet lock comes off if you have a T30 security bit to get the bolt out. :) The finished bike is going to be awesome.
Calibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 01:24 PM   #35
LukasM OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calibre
Just for next time, that helmet lock comes off if you have a T30 security bit to get the bolt out. :) The finished bike is going to be awesome.
Duh .....

Lol, I did know that actually. To get to the bolt you have to open the lock , though. This wasn't possible with mine as there was hardened powdercoat in the cylinder.

Thanks for the compliments!
Old 06-22-2007, 02:00 PM   #36
Riteris
Dessert Runner

Oddometer: 2,831
You should videotape your work and put it up on YouTube. Let us know when you are pretty happy with something.

I am taking the advice of all those people that told me, "Hey kid, why don't you go play in traffic!"
Riteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 12:47 AM   #37
Calibre
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
LOL, I meant unbolt it before you send it to the powder-coaters..
Calibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 05:36 PM   #38
Django Loco
Banned

Oddometer: 3,785
Lukas,
Nice project!

Couple things:
For a long ride and especially for dirt riding (standing up) I would think about Wider Pegs. One thing (among several subtle unknown changes) that Suzuki has made on the DR is the use of wider pegs on newer DR's. Very nice when you're standing for hours.

The '96 (I have one at work...blown up) has really skinny foot pegs. My other DR...an '06, has wider pegs. IMS also make wide pegs. Fastways too. Both are $$ but will make you happy on a long dirt day. Like floorboards.

Very wise to leave motor stock IMO, for this type of trip. Hot Rods need high octane fuel...which you won't find in Africa.

Hope you can get the WP steering stem bearings fit.
Take care of ride height/ balance/CG and bias issues with the new forks. I guess you can do a lot with the Wilbur's ride height adjustment to help balance things front to back and keep geometry correct. Wilbur's! Good choice!

Brembo brakes! Cool! Wish I had them!

What about a seat? A Corbin or other custom seat. I'm sure there are good ones in Austria.

I have used my Mo-Tech cam-loc racks many times in Mexico and Baja fully loaded (GIVI bags) Very strong! Easy on/off. But a bit heavy. I'm using soft bags with homemade stand offs for the bags. Saves 17 lbs over GIVI and
Mo tech racks.

'96 is an old bike. How many miles on this thing when you got it? I would go over the elec.connectors, clean, check O rings on the big ones. Look for abaided wires or hacked up wiring. This can drive you nuts on the road. And of course a new battery.

If the motor is running well then go for it...but maybe a "shake down" run locally?

When you're done with your trip, I hear KTM are hiring...I think you'd be a perfect candidate!! Just read an article in TWO magazine, looks like a nice place to work.
Django Loco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 12:22 PM   #39
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,745
nice work Lucas
ur posting is so informative , usefull ,and motivating , congratulations on ur new born DR650 take care of this baby ,i had mine 4 over 4 years now it never let me down ..
DR650SEDDY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 03:25 PM   #40
SamM
Jeep Overlander

Oddometer: 1,469
What ever happened to this bike?
SamM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 08:18 PM   #41
LukasM OP
Beastly Adventurer

I broke my arm shortly after my last post, thus the project was on hold for quite a while. I got back on it a month or so back and it is now almost done - I went for the maiden ride yesterday!

Expect a thorough update on here in the next few days.

Cheers,
Lukas
Old 09-24-2007, 08:57 PM   #42
AWM
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 11,321
Don't leave us hang'n!!!!
Keep it go'n,it's been good sofar.

Theres a name for people without beards,"Women".
AWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 05:41 AM   #43
Max Kool
Xtankteam™

Oddometer: 3,227
I held my breath so long on this thread that I'm already dead and buried.
Max Kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 09:15 AM   #44
SamM
Jeep Overlander

Oddometer: 1,469
Sorry to hear about your arm LucasM. Hope you're doing better now! I am very interested in seeing how your DR650 project turns out. I almost traded away everything I had and bought a DR not long ago. I can get a new one for $4500 OTD. I fear one bike would not work for me, but I like the DR. Never owned a Suzuki before! The aftermarket for this bike is HUGE! With some wind protection a DR650 would work well for me.

Can't wait to see your pictures!
SamM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 11:08 PM   #45
2Track
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
2Track is offline   Reply With Quote