GuinnesS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 778
What he said
Old 09-27-2007, 06:13 AM   #47
LukasM OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,333
SOOOOO..... finally posting the long overdue update!

As I mentioned earlier, I broke my arm at the beginning of the summer. It happened while road racing my R6 on the Pannonia Ring in Hungary, high-sided in one of the rather fast corners. I was a bit bruised up (still ATGATT) and had broken my radius. Had a cast for 10 weeks, and of course I now have wrist problems.... So I gotta have another surgery where they will shorten my ullna a few milimeters - which means another cast for 8 weeks

Before:

After:

Ok, now back to our regularely scheduled programming: the DR!

The next step was to find a solution for my fork (20mm axle) and wheel (26mm) problem. I contacted an experienced machine shop and had them make wheel spacers with the small inside and large outside diameter. You can see the difference to the stocker (right) in this picture:

While waiting for the spacers I also bought a set of KTM Supermoto wheels. The front is a 3.5" Excel rim with a HE (German supermoto shop) hub, the rear a 4.25" with a Talon Ultralight hub (I will probably change this out for a stock KTM LC4 hub).

Old 09-27-2007, 06:40 AM   #48
LukasM OP
Beastly Adventurer

Since I was still looking for a good deal on a 300mm brake disc (stock on KTM LC4s like the Adventure) and caliper bracket, I decided to use the 320mm parts I already had in the meantime. The next picture shows the 21" offroad wheel with the 260mm EXC brake disc and 26mm wheel spacers, the one after that is with a 320mm disc (massive compared to the other one!) and the custom spacers:

When I finally got the spacers I was looking forward to mounting the wheels for good - but no such luck! A trial fit revealed that I was not able to fully slide the axle in and that the wheel was therefore off-center to the left and touching the lower fork guard. Check red circled areas in the picture (kind of hard to see):

Ughhh! Luckily my cousins 2002 520 EXC is parked with my Zook so I was able to play around with exchanging parts to see where the culprit was. Turns out that my triple clamps came from the earlier WP40 fork (unlike the seller had said) and are therefore only 28cm (center fork leg to center fork leg) wide. The WP43 mm forks use the ones that are 29cm wide.... Eventually I was able to find the matching ones on ebay. Changed them out and all is good now!
Old 09-27-2007, 07:50 AM   #49
LukasM OP
Beastly Adventurer

Next step was the wiring. As Django had mentioned earlier the last thing you want to have when far away from home is to have electrical problems - especially if you are as clueless about them as I am. The loom on my bike was more than 11 years old, spliced and hacked up in several places (check first page of this post) and in general rather poor shape.

I was lucky and found somebody parting out a low-mileage, street only and garage kept bike and got his loom. Being electrically challenged, I doubted that everything would actually work right away, so I just laid it out temporarily on the bike and plugged everything in. When I turned the key I was thrilled to see the neutral light come on, thinking - holy shit, this might actually work!!! Pressing the starter produced the lovely chicken shrieking sound - and it turned over. And over. And over. And over. No choke adjustment, no starter spray, nothing would get it to start. Ok, let's change the spark plugs. No dice, either. How about checking if there actually is a spark? Ahhh, thats why it won't start - no spark! But why? Checked all the connections, used contact spray, tried bypassing the clutch and sidestand safety switched and still no dice.

Bypassed side-stand relay:

I decided to try it with the old loom, since I knew that the bike ran with it before I disassembled it. PITA but what can you do. Installed it and who'd have thunk it - the bike starts right away!! So I knew that the problem was somewhere with my new harness, which was very strange as it looked brand new and was definitely not damaged in any place. Luckily my cousin Alex (who was a great help with the whole bike - I owe you one buddy!) came to the rescue - he somehow noticed that the connector at the CDI had one wire less in it. Strange as I had thought that all the 96+ DRs were the same?

The green wire that is circled in the picture was missing on my new harness:

We removed the tape and wrap that was on the old loom and traced the wire. Turns out it ends at one of the diodes (I think ) at the front of the airbox. It doesn't look like a factory solution either which was even more confusing?

Back to work to install the new loom once again. Then we tried to copy the old wiring and ran a temporary wire (red in the pictures) from CDI to the front connector.

And - suprisingly enough - everything was finally working I stripped the green wire with the correct connector from the old CDI plug and installed it in the new one. Ran it through the existing wire tubing, and soldered the other end to the existing green wire. Then I mounted the harness on the chassis with some nice re-useable rubber cable ties. Added some protective spiral wrap where there wasn't any, and the wiring is finally done!

Old 09-27-2007, 01:12 PM   #50
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,080
I'm tempted to pull my harness and re-wire/re-route it to include all my extra wires properly and chafe proofedly.
NordieBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 01:27 PM   #51
GuinnesS
Studly Adventurer

and then ?.........................
Old 09-27-2007, 08:33 PM   #52
2Track
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
Lukas - thanks for all reports. Very sorry about your arm, and hope all goes well with surgery. How are you continuing with a cast? We'll be looking for the ride report when you're able. Great job man!

Mike
2Track is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 12:59 AM   #53
Tagati
tEAM iDIOT

Oddometer: 2,558
looking good. keep us posted

Note to self. When fueling up at Windorah do NOT say "I'll see you later", "I had better get a hop along" or "See you around". You will just look like a prick in front of the locals and feel like a dick.
Tagati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 04:18 AM   #54
johnnyandjebus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 532
Great job
Keep the pics coming when you can. I have a 94 DR350 that I want to do the same thing to(painting the frame) so I have been watching this thread with interest!!
johnnyandjebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 04:15 PM   #55
GuinnesS
Studly Adventurer

AND THEN..........................., the suspense is killing me

GuinnesS screwed with this post 10-28-2007 at 07:44 PM
GuinnesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 02:45 PM   #56
German
Ich liebe Bayrischen Mist

Oddometer: 350
Thumb

Lucas,

This is an excellent and very interesting thread. Just by reading your postings on the update, I have learned a lot.

I wish you the best of luck with your recovery and keep up the postings Buddy!

German
German is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 07:07 PM   #57
leopo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Gooooooood.
leopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 08:17 PM   #58
Frank Warner
Traveller

Oddometer: 6,593
The WP USD Extreme (I think they are 45mm? .. from early 90s) weight less than the K75 front forks .. this is on the K75G/S. I think the pair of them would be less than one of the bm fork legs !!!

So .. how are you going to attach luggage?

-----
The side stand swicth by pass ..if you make that a toggle switch you can use it as theft prevention ..

----
Put a headlight switch on it .. saves the battery .. in particular when you start it up. (Assumeing you don't have one)
Frank Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 12:16 PM   #59
magnus
Duke of Hazzard

Oddometer: 91
So what ever happened to this bike? Is it still 80% complete? Perspiring minds want to know!
Old 02-01-2008, 08:00 AM   #60
Tagati
tEAM iDIOT

Oddometer: 2,558
Yeah I was watching this too

Note to self. When fueling up at Windorah do NOT say "I'll see you later", "I had better get a hop along" or "See you around". You will just look like a prick in front of the locals and feel like a dick.
Tagati is offline   Reply With Quote