Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2008, 06:06 PM   #91
LukasM OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,380
Thanks guys. Been really busy but I will try to keep the updates coming. Here is one:

The exhaust:

The stock Suzuki piece is supposedly stainless, yet mine was very rusty. It is also very heavy, doesn't perform too well and the sound is less than exciting.

I did lots of reading on the various forums and looked for the best solution that would fit my criteria: lightweight, robust, does not require repacking, not too loud, street legal in Europe. None of the aftermarket systems I found fulfilled all those criteria, the Staintune was closest but failed the last one.

So I decided to go with the custom solution that everybody seemed to love: The GSX-R system pioneered by our friend MX-Rob. Not completely legal either, but will pass a standard visual test with the E-approved markings from Suzuki.

Here is a view of all the components next to the stock DR system:

01-02 GSX-R 1000 muffler, Titanium core
Hindle DR650 mid pipe
FMF header
Various gaskets and clamps needed

Since the GSX-R pipe has the hanger in a different position than the stock one, I made a bracket out of 4mm aluminum. You could also cut off the hanger and have it re-welded, but the shop I located to get my flange welded to the mid-pipe couldn’t do aluminum.

Here is the first rough positioning of the muffler. At this point I bolted the flange onto the muffler and slid it onto the mid-pipe.

I marked the pipe/flange location with a permanent marker, then I took it off and brought it to a welder. I am happy with the job he did for $20:

Now that I knew the exact location of the pipe I tweaked the hole in my homemade bracket to suit, rounded off the corners to give it a nicer shape and then gave it a wire brush treatment to blend in with the GSX-R pipe a bit better:

All in all not too difficult to do, if you are willing to source some parts you will have a great end result.

Some interesting weights facts:

Stock header: 1520g
Stock muffler: 5500g

Total stock exhaust: 7020 grams

FMF header: 1070g
4 bolt flange: 270g
Hindle mid-pipe: 430g
GSX-R muffler: 2110g

Total GSX-R system: 3880g

This equals a weight savings of about 3.1kg (6.9 lbs). Not bad considering the ruggedness and other advantages!

Here is a quick before and after shot of this mod:

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 09:47 PM   #92
Doug Matson
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,704
Very nice work! Makes me want to pick up a DR 650. Maybe you should just make a kit out of all the mods you've done and sell it, lots of DR's out there.
93' XR 200
72' SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
70' CB 350
65' CB 160
Doug Matson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 02:23 PM   #93
Jammin
Living on a DR

Oddometer: 1,535
Nice work Lukas. Thanks for documenting this.
And very nice idea about the GSX-R sourced exhaust system. Can you perhaps make a sound clip of it? Must sound awesome

One question: with all the wire-brushing you're doing, are you applying clear coat to all the components before reassembling? issue of rust...

Trip Website: JamminGlobal.com
Current Ride Report: Global South | Past Trips: CDR '09, Alaska '08, Mexico '07 | YouTube Videos
Jammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 10:36 PM   #94
2wheelfrenzy
Traveler

Oddometer: 29
Nice work! I'm so impressed by your fabrication abilities. Sweet bike. So when's the around-the-world trip?
Old 11-11-2008, 01:29 AM   #95
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammin
Nice work Lukas. Thanks for documenting this.
And very nice idea about the GSX-R sourced exhaust system. Can you perhaps make a sound clip of it? Must sound awesome
From the original GSXR master - mxrob
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 06:29 PM   #96
LukasM OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,380
Thanks for the kudos. You should also check out inmate DisTech's rebuild thread, he is doing some great work and motivated me to post another update. Go here for his thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=415263

Jammin,

I did clear coat all the brushed steel parts. Normally I would powder coat them but we are still restoring our garage so the oven is not set up yet. I used spray bomb paint which was been holding up ok, although some specks of rust are slowly starting to show up.

Update: Engine leak

About a year ago I had a mechanic fix the leaking paper base gasket with the metal version Suzuki started using in 2003/2004. Of course shortly after that I developed a leak at the head. It was a very slow leak so it was more annoying than a real problem:

Since I had my buddy Johannes who is a pro wrench at hand, I decided to finally take care of it. Disassembly is quite straight forward if you follow the repair manual. After taking the head off it was quite clear where the leak was. Also notice the screwdriver holding up the cam chain, you don’t want it to fall in there:

Another interesting little find: One of the bolts was simply lying in the hole! It must have sheared off when the mechanic installed it. That won’t have helped create a good seal….

I was afraid that it would be a major pain in the ass to get out, but we did it in less than 20min. By using a fine screwdriver as a mini-chisel on one of the edges of the broken bolt and we worked it out a fraction of a turn with each hit. Phew! Also make sure that you cover the cam chain opening so nothing will fall in. If you don’t notice it you are screwed, even if you do it’s a major PITA to get out.

With that out of the way I cleaned up the sealing surface with some gasket remover and then a bit with 1000 grit sandpaper. Apparently that helps with sealing as well.

This whole episode took place on a Saturday, so naturally all the Suzuki dealers were closed. It also takes at least a couple of days to get parts in, so I decided to improvise a bit for replacing the broken head bolt. The 3rd hardware store actually had what I wanted – almost. A bit too long and the threads did not extend far enough:

Nothing some quick work with the grinder and die can’t fix!

Almost as good as the original, beats having to wait for another week:

With that done we bolted the head in place and Johannes got to work on sealing the cover with Drei Bond sold by BMW. He swears by the stuff and actually made me go get some even though I had three other sealants available. Since he is helping out for free I obliged.

And here she is all buttoned up, finally dry and (somewhat) clean!

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:40 AM   #97
Tappet
Feral

Oddometer: 1,451
Lukas, this is an incredible project you're pulling off here. Maximum respect!

Your Africa trip will be so much more enjoyable given the piece of mind that you know every tiny part of you bike like the back of your hand.

Looking fwd to the rest

Mark
Tappet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:33 PM   #98
1 Bored Clerk
Mama, I'm goin fast!

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM

The stock Suzuki piece is supposedly stainless, yet mine was very rusty.
That's why they don't call it stainproof steel!

Nice writeup.
1 Bored Clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:54 PM   #99
bongodave
Join my cult!

Oddometer: 39,987
Fantastic! Love the exhaust, and the attention to detail now will pay off well into the future.
bongodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 06:14 PM   #100
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,817
Ive got a 04 GSXR muffler sitting around here if anyones interested in it,it looks like new and would sell for about 50.00 + shipping
Old 02-02-2009, 09:01 PM   #101
"D"aily "R"ider 650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118

Semper Fi
"D"aily "R"ider 650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 09:28 PM   #102
AWM
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 11,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger
Ive got a 04 GSXR muffler sitting around here if anyones interested in it,it looks like new and would sell for about 50.00 + shipping
I could be wrong,but i think its just the 01-02 ones that fit.

Theres a name for people without beards,"Women".
AWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 12:51 AM   #103
Max Kool
Xtankteam™

Oddometer: 3,229
Lukas excellent work, really!

This thread alone makes me want to go out and get another DR650 again. These bike are so much fun to work on (and to ride).

(maybe something for the missus? )
Max Kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 09:38 PM   #104
remyalecus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
KTM Headlight Question

I was curious to know what is involved with replacing the stock DR headlight with the KTM one? Is it simply plug and play with the OEM factory Suzuki electrical harness or would I need to rewire everything? I love the idea of reducing the bike's weight (as well as the cooler looks of the KTM) but don't want to spend hours converting the electrical system of my bike. And help would be appreciated. Thanks.
remyalecus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 01:49 AM   #105
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by remyalecus
I was curious to know what is involved with replacing the stock DR headlight with the KTM one? Is it simply plug and play with the OEM factory Suzuki electrical harness or would I need to rewire everything? I love the idea of reducing the bike's weight (as well as the cooler looks of the KTM) but don't want to spend hours converting the electrical system of my bike. And help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Which KTM headlight?
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote