ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Yesterday, 02:01 PM   #1
pnoman OP
Just Average

Oddometer: 2,040
Looking for interesting sites along Rt 220

I am starting the planning stage of exploring Rt 220 from the northern tip (Waverly NY just north of the PA/NY border) 680 miles south to Rockingham NC in the spring. I would like to take my time and photograph interesting sites along the way on my bike.

In addition to online research, I'd like to find 1) interesting historical and/or scenic spots, 2) good non-chain diners, and 3) good (clean - reasonably priced) basic family-owned hotels and campgrounds. I don't mind going off the route a couple miles, but I won't have time to start making 5-10-15+ mile detours. I would like to focus on Rt 220 itself.

Why am I interested in this road? It goes right past my grandparents' old farm near Petersburg WV. When I was a kid, I would watch traffic going up and down the road and wonder where everyone was going. Now, I will find out. I've only been on the section from Cumberland MD down to Covington VA.

I thought of putting this on Trip Planning, but thought I would get more "local" input in this section. Hope you don't mind.

Thanks for any ideas.

My Website - Europe, Alaska, US Bike Rides
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post Yesterday at 02:12 PM
pnoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:20 PM   #2
De Oppresso Liber
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 507
I heard you when you said you don't want to travel off the beaten path, so don't shoot the messenger! (I never was good at taking direction!)

IF time should permit, the number one place that I can think of would be to visit the Paint Bank General Store and the Swinging Bridge restaurant that is located there. Not only is the experience of a small step back in time and the home cooked meal worth the visit, the ride up 311 is sure to put a smile on your face for anyone who enjoys riding on two wheels!

If you can't fit it in on this trip, make a point to get there at some time. Be sure to head west from Fincastle over to New Castle and then 311. 311 is a friggin hoot!
De Oppresso Liber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:33 PM   #3
scootac
Just a Traveler

Oddometer: 2,955
I grew up right on 220 also in central PA!
But now, 220 doesn't follow the same roads as it did 40-50 years ago in some places here in PA. From Lock Haven to Bedford, I think most of it is now 4 lane, aka I-99.
Also... That 311 is an awesome road! Stop at the Homeplace in Catawba for good food served family style!

'81 R100RT, '04 ST 1300, '02 DR 650
scootac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:09 PM   #4
pnoman OP
Just Average

Oddometer: 2,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by De Oppresso Liber View Post
I heard you when you said you don't want to travel off the beaten path, so don't shoot the messenger! (I never was good at taking direction!)

IF time should permit, the number one place that I can think of would be to visit the Paint Bank General Store and the Swinging Bridge restaurant that is located there. Not only is the experience of a small step back in time and the home cooked meal worth the visit, the ride up 311 is sure to put a smile on your face for anyone who enjoys riding on two wheels!

If you can't fit it in on this trip, make a point to get there at some time. Be sure to head west from Fincastle over to New Castle and then 311. 311 is a friggin hoot!
My wife and I drove down to Paint Bank in October to see the fall colors. Beautiful drive! Loved the general store! We drove up CR 17 from Waiteville then continued on Rt 18 north from Paint Bank. Linky

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootac View Post
I grew up right on 220 also in central PA!
But now, 220 doesn't follow the same roads as it did 40-50 years ago in some places here in PA. From Lock Haven to Bedford, I think most of it is now 4 lane, aka I-99.
Also... That 311 is an awesome road! Stop at the Homeplace in Catawba for good food served family style!
Yes, I saw on my early research where it looks like the 4-lanes have "covered up" the old road in places, but it looks like with some more homework I should be able to re-trace alot of the old road (with new number designation). Lucky I'm starting early so I have the whole winter to plan.

My Website - Europe, Alaska, US Bike Rides
www.RidingWV.com
pnoman is online now   Reply With Quote