Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2008, 12:13 PM   #661
Zombie_Stomp OP
Aspiring human

Oddometer: 2,231
Then I put on the oil line, and once I replaced the bolt that goes from the head to cylinder that holds the oil line in place via a welded tab on it, I re-tightened the two nuts on the side of the head becuase they had gained some slack since they are all sharing the load on that side of the head. hopefully this doesn't affect the head bolts' load any.

After that, I replaced the auto decompression cable and kickstart, and adjusted the cable, not to any spec in the book, but I took the slack out of the cable until I could turn and feel the actuator rod touching the valve stem in resting position.

So here it is, ready to be installed:
Attached Images

I do heavy-duty textile repair, upholstery, and design/manufacture bags.
Zombie_Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 12:17 PM   #662
Zombie_Stomp OP
Aspiring human

Only things left to do as far as I can tell are to flush my cables with WD-40 one more time, and seal up the airbox boots with silicone so they're dried and everything's ready for the engine to drop in tomorrow. The cables should make a huge difference. I gotta remember to do my speedometer cable, so I can see if that clears up that mysterious whirring sound up front at higher speeds. Anyone else notice this sound?

Old 03-18-2008, 03:08 PM   #663
Gregster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 963
Looks good.
You'll be glad to have a quiet, clean, reliable engine. Your countershaft splines look to be in good shape. Fancy shifter, nice new stator and gromet. No more oil leaks and grease mud. No more noisy camchain.
No whirring noises coming from my front end, but I did replace all my cables last year.
It looks like soon all that will be left to do is rid it and grin.
My last exam at university is Aprill 22, so I can make you a rear rack after that if you still need it then.
Gregster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 04:54 PM   #664
BrandonR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdnakx250
I highly recommend the Clarke 4.3 gallon transparent tank. I am getting 180 miles per tank with fuel to spare. .
Am I the only one who thinks the "transparent" tanks are Butt ugly? The extra 1.3 gallons would be nice though.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:41 PM   #665
error cooled
anything but asphalt

Oddometer: 1,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonR
Am I the only one who thinks the "transparent" tanks are Butt ugly? The extra 1.3 gallons would be nice though.
I agree. From what I hear Clarke's tank in Red is pretty close to the Monza Red of the 83/84 model.
error cooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 09:57 PM   #666
Zombie_Stomp OP
Aspiring human

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonR
's what I was saying, you can get one of those tanks (jugs) that go on the rack and add even more than 1.3 gallons to your range. All you'd have to do is stop a while and refill, which may sound like a pain, but the bike's range is already around 100 miles with a stock tank, so a break for refill after riding 100 miles is already likely, and nice.

All this not to knock anyone who has one. Do what you like!

Old 03-18-2008, 10:16 PM   #667
Zombie_Stomp OP
Aspiring human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregster
Looks good.
You'll be glad to have a quiet, clean, reliable engine. Your countershaft splines look to be in good shape. Fancy shifter, nice new stator and gromet. No more oil leaks and grease mud. No more noisy camchain.
No whirring noises coming from my front end, but I did replace all my cables last year.
It looks like soon all that will be left to do is rid it and grin.
My last exam at university is Aprill 22, so I can make you a rear rack after that if you still need it then.
Ride, grin, and ride some more. Ride until I reach Portland, OR, 3,444 miles away, passing through Asheville, NC, Gadsden, AL, Starkville, MS, Shreveport, LA, Denton, TX, and the rest is in the works.

About the rack, I may still take you up on it. I may go for Aluminum if you have the right wire and gas for it, I know you have a MIG setup, my favorite way to weld. If I have to go with steel, that's cool too. I'd like it to be pretty much exactly like yours but maybe lower. I need something to tie in my pannier boxes I'm making out of Mermite food containers, military surplus. I like the idea of going for a separate rack thing that has those on it and can be added to and removed from the other rack easliy, like Kubiak's post # 19 in this thread.

Old 03-19-2008, 08:08 AM   #668
ere109
Ride On!

Oddometer: 2,912
Greg, can you post a pic of your XL600 rack?
ere109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 12:26 PM   #669
Gregster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 963
Here's a few pics of the rack project.
It's far from perfect or ideal, but it works good ans is ruggen enough.
I have a set of Pellican cases that I am going to add as paniers this summer.

First thing's first. To make the rack I wanted, I used a pipe bender to get the nice round corners. I wanted it to look like my ATV racks but smaller.

Here's a piece of pipe about to get bent.

With the type of bender I have, I can't make complete squares, so I had to make two sides and weld them together.

Here's one of the three squares I made. It is sitting on one of my Pellican cases to be used for panniers.

Here I am fixing up the ends with the 3.5" grinder before welding them together.

Now onto the mounting brackets.
Started with some steel pipe and a big hammer.

It looks crude, but it's a reasonable way to get flat ends that can be bolted to the frame. You could call it cold working. I don't have a press, or I would have used one instead.

Cut the end off like this. Then I used an angle grinder to round the ends off to a nicer looking shape, and then drilled a mounting bolt hole through the flatened part. That is all there is to preparing the tube ends so they can be bolted to the frame. This had to be done for the two forward mounting points.

Here's the two tubes that I made that connect the rack to the forward mounting points. The left tube has a bit of a bend to it so that it can go up over the helmet lock. These are the two tubes with the flattened and drilled ends.

Here's those two tubes in position, showing how they support the rear of the rack. There is a larger socket sitting on the fender to prop up the front of the rack to the height I was looking for just so that I could have a look and do a couple measurements.

A couple more shots.

I skipped taking pictures for a few steps, but you can see where I added two more shorter bars to the front of the rack, so that it is supported in 4 places. I also added two bars to the inside of the square part of the rack.

A couple more shots.

I added a short piece of bar right behind each of the short tubes so that I would be able to use the signal light mounting points as a second set of mounting points for the rack. This meant that I had to add some other tabs to the rack to mount the rear signal lights to. After doing that, I realized that the little signal lights I was going to use were quite exposed and would get knocked, so I added an extension to each side of the rack to protect them. This had the added bonus of making more room to carry a gas can, small duffle bag, and beer cooler.
Again, I skipped taking pictures of the process, but I did take some after applying primer and then black Tremclad paint from a rattle can, which has held up good. At least it's cheap to touch up if necessary.

This picture shows the flat bar part that is drilled for a bolt to mount to the signal light hole in the bike frame. You can also see the new signal light mounting tabs.

Finnished rack looks good and works even better.

I had intended to mount a 2.5 or 3 inch diameter length of pvc pipe with screw cap ends between the rack and the fender to use as a tool tube, which is why the rack is so high above the fender. I may still add this feature this coming summer as well as ad some bolt on side racks to mount my Pellican boxes to for some panniers. I would rather have the rack sit a bit more level as it has a bit of a forward slant to the top of the rack.
So I guess this is what I would consider my prototype and I learned a few good lessons while building it and in using it. My next rack will have all of the good features of this one as well as some more mods such as bungie cord attaching loops and the tool tube.
I think Joel wants one that is lower to the fender and sits level. I would like to weld with aluminum, but I don't have a powerful enough welder. Aluminum is not as good a conducter as steel, so you need more current to weld it. Also, welded aluminum doesn't have as good strength untill you heat treat it. We built a FSAE car ( http://students.sae.org/competitions/formulaseries/ ) at my university (I'm a 5th yr. undergrad mech. engg student) , using aluminum for the frame and we were not allowed to enter it in the competition because we could not gearantee the integrity of the welds. So we ended up building another one out of cro-moly steel. Such a waste of resources and time, but a good lesson learned.
Anyway, I have to use steel for my home projects as it is cheap and easy (for me) to work with. The added bonus is that if I were to have a wipe-out on a trip somewhere, I could stop into any old middle-of-no-where welding shop and get it fixed - it's just mild pipe steel.

ps. The last few pictures are just "I love my XL" pics.

Gregster screwed with this post 03-19-2008 at 12:39 PM
Gregster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 01:05 PM   #670
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,852
Super job
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 05:09 PM   #671
Zombie_Stomp OP
Aspiring human

He's got quite the array of tools and a space to use them in. I'm jealous! One day....

So I got all excited today, it's the day I get the engine put back in and ride!
Notice the small brush and big can of contact cement. This is how I decided to seal the air boots up to the box. It was a sticky fit, but a little fltahead screwdriver cramming and I was sure the grooves in the boots were seated.
Attached Images

Old 03-19-2008, 05:11 PM   #672
Zombie_Stomp OP
Aspiring human

No more oil leaks means no more grease-mud! And if there were a slight oil leak ever, I'd see it now that it's clean.
Attached Images

Old 03-19-2008, 05:21 PM   #673
Zombie_Stomp OP
Aspiring human

No photos of the struggle that caused a frameless engine and an engineless frame to become a motorcycle, but I usually need all of my free hands while that's going on. I spent the time detailing and decreasing that I could have spent taking pictures, but then the bike would be dirty in the pictures anyway, so I opted for the clean bike. It kept threatening to rain all day, and I'd rejoice when the sun came out again. But by the time I was tightening the second nut to put the seat on, the first drop of rain fell on my nose. I didn't let that stop me, I ran to the corner store for 3 quarts of 10w-40, and went out to this construction site where they're laying sewer lines and had a quick blast before I got to the muddier part, and I turned around. Then I went to work to get my check, and on the way back I got soaked because it started coming down hard and here I am in my corduroys. So I can't compete with nature. I tarped it becuase I'm still waiting on my seat cover and I don't want th seat foam to get wet. Anyway, looks great now without all the grease mud:
Attached Images

Old 03-20-2008, 08:09 PM   #674
error cooled
anything but asphalt

Oddometer: 1,163
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/pd045...em150226941016

error cooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 09:26 PM   #675
Zombie_Stomp OP
Aspiring human

Wow....

wow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopewellz