Old 03-20-2008, 10:50 PM   #676
JStory
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopewellz
I wonder if those tubeless wheels are still available form Honda? $$$$$
What a sweet bike.

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr Samuel Johnson.
JStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 07:04 AM   #677
Zombie_Stomp OP
Aspiring human

Oddometer: 2,231
Yeah, I was just explaining to my brother why my spoked rims required the tires to be tubeless, and how I couldn't imagine a way that there could be a tubeless spoked rim, and along comes this bike... I bet it would be hard to find spokes for. But still, being able to plug a flat and go. I want a lot of the features that bike has. Hey, I know, let's all start n XL specialty parts company!

I do heavy-duty textile repair, upholstery, and design/manufacture bags.
Zombie_Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 09:20 AM   #678
error cooled
anything but asphalt

Oddometer: 1,163
Can any one direct me as to what I need to do to replace the oil seal at the clutch pertch. The part is # 20 in this diagram. I have a more than annoying oil leak from that spot, and the seal has to be replaced. Thanks in advance.

error cooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 12:58 PM   #679
Gregster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 963
You'll be taking off the stator cover to replace that seal, so it's a good idea to replace the side cover gasket (part # 3 in the picture) at the same time. They rarely come off intact and usually tear. Since they're not too expensive, I'd order one at the same time as the clutch shaft seal.
Gregster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 01:22 PM   #680
error cooled
anything but asphalt

Oddometer: 1,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregster
You'll be taking off the stator cover to replace that seal, so it's a good idea to replace the side cover gasket (part # 3 in the picture) at the same time. They rarely come off intact and usually tear. Since they're not too expensive, I'd order one at the same time as the clutch shaft seal.
Thanks for the advice Gregster. Now do you think the stator cover will come off with out taking the shift lever off? I ask because my shift lever is welded to the shift shaft.
error cooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 03:00 PM   #681
Zombie_Stomp OP
Aspiring human

If I remember correctly, the rotor (#7) sticks out just far enough that you can remove it without removing the shift lever. I think this information is correct because I put my shift lever on before I corrected the stator grommet oil leak problem with my Ricky Stator, and I only put that shift lever on once, and didn't remove it for the stator side cover operation. I would remember if I did because only one of my two rows of splines are intact, and I never got a good enough fit from any but my brand new MSR, at least no used one would give me more than 100 miles without loosening. I just tied the shifter in its lowest position with a bungee cord and positioned it in place. The magnetic rotor kept sticking to the stator when I'd position it because my sidecover was missing one of two hollow positioning dowels (#24) but I got it on well enough.

As for me, after adjusting the tappetts, the bike is more powerful, smooth, and vibration free than ever. The only thing is that I'm still hearing some head gasket blowby under load. I know I overtorqued the head bolts, partly in overreaction to them loosening before, and the other thing was that they just didn't feel snug enough. After a long discussion with my Dad and Uncle Randy who was in town, both old engineers, we came to the conclusion that it could be caused by a warped head, or a head warped by overtorqueing of the bolts, and that the bolts need to be free of any oil residue to arrive at a true metal-to-metal torque spec. (which they weren't, I just added loctite to the oil residue). So I'm going to get it perfect one of these times. New head gasket, exhaust gaskets, and a can of brake cleaner and I should be ready to repeat the process I just did, and hopefully get it perfect.
Third times a charm?
Joel

Old 03-22-2008, 06:01 PM   #682
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonR
Am I the only one who thinks the "transparent" tanks are Butt ugly? The extra 1.3 gallons would be nice though.
I didn't buy it for the looks . The places I ride can go pretty dang far between gas stations and carrying an extra jug is a real pain. My XT225 does not have any larger tank available and I am going to get my mother inlaw to sew up a custom tank pannier which will hold 2 extra 3 liter bottles for better range. That is going to be UGLY
Old 03-22-2008, 08:00 PM   #683
Cordless
Two Wheel Addict

Oddometer: 2,018
This is a great thread Zombie Stomp. Thank you for posting all your progress. I used your posts and information to solve some minor oil leaks on my XL.

Did anyone ever address the question of how to install the XR rear shock into the XL?

I have an XR front end (with GV emulators) and an XR rear shock. Anyone know any secrets on how to install them.

Anyone raise the handlebars by more than 2"? (At 6'6" I am TALLERMAN)

I also need to replace my clutch in my '85 XL600. Looking for help.

I rode the XL about 120 miles today--longest ride since buying it last autumn. What a great bike. It handled 70 mph on the slab very well. It handled twisties eagerly, and it took on the muddy offroad section like a champ.
Cordless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 08:00 AM   #684
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,741
b\Before you pull your head again make DARN sure you are not leaking at the header flange. The stock exhaust creates lots of backpressure and will create a leak at the flange when revving it up. Ultra high temp rtv and make sure the bolts are good and tight with a good seal into the head should work. If I remember correctly you bought a new head. No way that thing is going to warp that quick.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:36 PM   #685
Zombie_Stomp OP
Aspiring human

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdnakx250
b\Before you pull your head again make DARN sure you are not leaking at the header flange. The stock exhaust creates lots of backpressure and will create a leak at the flange when revving it up. Ultra high temp rtv and make sure the bolts are good and tight with a good seal into the head should work. If I remember correctly you bought a new head. No way that thing is going to warp that quick.
Yeah, I just tightened the exhaust header down evenly as far as it'll go. I'm going to do some further diagnoses before pulling that sucker again.

Old 03-26-2008, 03:48 PM   #686
Zombie_Stomp OP
Aspiring human

New seat cover from B&H Specialties arrived today! It was like magic, I had just responded to the order confirmation from 15 days ago. Decent seat cover, although it would have been nicer if the skirt strip that you staple into on the underside hadn't been made of a cheaper grade of vinyl than the rest of it. After streching it using skills gained in canvas and screenprinting frame stretching, it still turned out to be a 3 hour job. On the sides from about the middle on back were the hardest to staple. I just let those ones go in as crooked as they wanted to, and once it was evenly stretched all around, I could go back and pull the ones that were too crooked and concentrate both hands on driving a new one straight in all the way, instead of one hand stretching and one stapling. There were still some that were not making full contact, whic is to be avoided so that the whole staple is pressing down, not just the two posts, because that tears it. Those ones I just went in and pressed them in by hand with a flat head screwdriver, or pulled and drove another one. I used a Powershot stapler and 1/4" staples just as they used originally, and they drive into the plastic the best. I learned to check out the strips of staples for the ones with the sharpest teeth, as they do vary in sharpness.
Before:
Attached Images

Old 03-26-2008, 03:50 PM   #687
Zombie_Stomp OP
Aspiring human

After:
Attached Images

Old 03-26-2008, 03:52 PM   #688
Zombie_Stomp OP
Aspiring human

My staples are no Concours job, but it'll hold tight for many years to come since each staple is making full contact with the material, not just the two posts which could tear it:
Attached Images

Old 03-26-2008, 06:18 PM   #689
Gregster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 963
Good job on the seat cover. It looks an awful lot like my home made one in where the seams are at the front and around the back edge.

Seemed like a good enough excuse to show off more pics of my XL
Gregster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 07:54 PM   #690
Zombie_Stomp OP
Aspiring human

I understand the need to show off the XL proudly.

I thought for a minute when I got the cover that you mighta bought one of these and remembered you said you made it because they were so dang similar. But I ruled that out becuase of all the other stuff you clearly did your self. I made one that looked like yours and wasn't 100% satisfied but traded it to Waspp for a better rear fender and some money. I wonder why they couldn't make a 2 piece instead of a 3 piece design like stock? Must be heat moulded or something.