ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-27-2008, 06:19 AM   #691
waspp
Gnarly Adventurer
 
waspp's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: East Tennessee (escaped from NY)
Oddometer: 302
Its not easy to make a cover, iv'e been down that road before. My XL is done and now for sale, I was given the bike and did a complete overhaul over the winter and set it up for a second DS for others in the family to ride. Love the bike but I am the only one who can start it so my original plans didn' t work out. Thanks for all the help here on this thread these ol red beasts are sure fun!
__________________
03 Moto Guzzi rosso corsa
78 Guzzi T3 cafe
79 Moto Morini 3 1/2 sport
2011 BMW GS
2013 F650GS (the wife"s)
waspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 07:30 AM   #692
Zombie_Stomp OP
Aspiring human
 
Zombie_Stomp's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: SE Portland/ Carrboroland NC
Oddometer: 2,231
Looks good! Where'd you get those sweet black rims?
__________________
1983 Toyota pickup: total overhaul, preservation-restoration in constant progress...
1987 Yamaha XT600 2KF (German)
STOLEN: RED XL600 in Portland

I do heavy-duty textile repair, upholstery, and design/manufacture bags.
Zombie_Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 11:47 AM   #693
waspp
Gnarly Adventurer
 
waspp's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: East Tennessee (escaped from NY)
Oddometer: 302
Nothing fancy just SEM etching primer for aluminum and rattle can black, as well as a lot of time! I know thepaint won't last forever but its easily touched up.
__________________
03 Moto Guzzi rosso corsa
78 Guzzi T3 cafe
79 Moto Morini 3 1/2 sport
2011 BMW GS
2013 F650GS (the wife"s)
waspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 04:35 PM   #694
Zombie_Stomp OP
Aspiring human
 
Zombie_Stomp's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: SE Portland/ Carrboroland NC
Oddometer: 2,231
I doubt you would have bothered taking off the hubs and spokes for that. So since I can't see from the pics, did you mask off each spoke so only the rims got painted? I wolud imagine that would take a lot of time, but then again so would prepping all the spokes properly. And one could also spend a good deal of time sanding off the clearcoat that is on the aluminum, if there is any. Don't they finish it with a clear? Aluminum can corrode.... I know they probably anodize it gold on those later models...
'scuse me, all this rim talk's makin' me hungry...
__________________
1983 Toyota pickup: total overhaul, preservation-restoration in constant progress...
1987 Yamaha XT600 2KF (German)
STOLEN: RED XL600 in Portland

I do heavy-duty textile repair, upholstery, and design/manufacture bags.
Zombie_Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 06:25 AM   #695
waspp
Gnarly Adventurer
 
waspp's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: East Tennessee (escaped from NY)
Oddometer: 302
I need something to do when its 20 degrees otside so i removed the tires and masked all the spokes off. The rear spokes are little grungy anyhow so i didn't get into detail making them shiney. the rims had no clear coat, that would be better for painting if they did. I've done this before and have had good success granted you have to touch them up now and again. I don't think spring will ever come we got 2 inches of snow last night and its still snowing some today! I need to move south!!
__________________
03 Moto Guzzi rosso corsa
78 Guzzi T3 cafe
79 Moto Morini 3 1/2 sport
2011 BMW GS
2013 F650GS (the wife"s)
waspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 08:13 AM   #696
fully_geed
Listens to Tom Waits
 
fully_geed's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Oakland, CA
Oddometer: 96
Hey thanks for the thread!

Just popping in here to salute your work in recording progress on your XL600, ZombieStomp! It's been a very informative read, along with another thread by ere109, AND another thread in the New Brunswick DS Forum, I've been able to put my own XL 600 together, too! The cam chain tensioner install...:laughing... what a pita. I ended up making my own little "holder" to push the thing over here:



Anyway, I'm recording my progress, too, though it goes much slower. Figure my bike will be ridable in July 2009 or so :laughing

clicky

fully_geed screwed with this post 03-28-2008 at 08:18 AM
fully_geed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 11:23 AM   #697
error cooled
anything but asphalt
 
error cooled's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Arlington, Virginia
Oddometer: 1,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by fully_geed

Anyway, I'm recording my progress, too, though it goes much slower. Figure my bike will be ridable in July 2009 or so :laughing

clicky
Love the blog. That flat tracker will be awesome. Did you clearcoat the head after you bead blasted it, just curious.
__________________
Honda XR600R
The Blue Ridge Trail - Virginia via gravel, dirt, two track and backroads.
USFS Motorized Access in Virginia - Protect your dual sporting access in the commonwealth.
error cooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 12:07 PM   #698
fully_geed
Listens to Tom Waits
 
fully_geed's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Oakland, CA
Oddometer: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopewellz
Love the blog. That flat tracker will be awesome. Did you clearcoat the head after you bead blasted it, just curious.
NOPE! I just bolted that raw aluminum head back on with casual aplomb, knowing full well that it could turn into some dark gray Charlie Foxtrot. We'll see, anyway...
fully_geed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 01:25 PM   #699
Zombie_Stomp OP
Aspiring human
 
Zombie_Stomp's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: SE Portland/ Carrboroland NC
Oddometer: 2,231
Thumb

You sure know how to fabricate some really cool things out of Fiberglas. Bravo! Great blog.
__________________
1983 Toyota pickup: total overhaul, preservation-restoration in constant progress...
1987 Yamaha XT600 2KF (German)
STOLEN: RED XL600 in Portland

I do heavy-duty textile repair, upholstery, and design/manufacture bags.
Zombie_Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 10:24 PM   #700
kta
Studly Adventurer
 
kta's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: On the Road.
Oddometer: 576
Another one enters the thread!

I've followed this thread since the beginning. I just happened upon an 83 and couldn't resist. I don't need it for anything, nor do I really want it as I have plenty of project bikes to keep me busy, but it is now in my garage. The motor is toast, but it came with a complete spare that I'm told is ready to run. I'll swap it in when I get a few free hours this week and report back.



kta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 08:09 AM   #701
Zombie_Stomp OP
Aspiring human
 
Zombie_Stomp's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: SE Portland/ Carrboroland NC
Oddometer: 2,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by kta
I've followed this thread since the beginning. I just happened upon an 83 and couldn't resist. I don't need it for anything, nor do I really want it as I have plenty of project bikes to keep me busy, but it is now in my garage. The motor is toast, but it came with a complete spare that I'm told is ready to run. I'll swap it in when I get a few free hours this week and report back.



KICK ASS!!
Way to go man! Glad I could be a good influence on you with this thread!

And I'm also glad that Ere109 and Gregster on his other forum, New Brunswick Dual Sport Club, could be influential to my project. I really learned a lot from them. Factory manual didn't hurt either.

If you want to part with that engine, I've been looking for a complete rebuildable spare for quite a while now. I saw a $750 one on ebay that had supposedly been rebuilt by a "picky BMW Mechanic", and looked clean, but who really knows what's been done? I didn't have the dough at the time anyhow. Shoot me a PM if you want to sell the "toast" engine. Then I'll have something to rebuild from the ground up. How many miles does it have on it? Looks almost like an '85 with '83 or '84 side panels on it. The Honda sticker on the tank I've never seen before. Then again, it could just be a '83 with a blue seat cover and a random white honda sticker on the tank.
Anyway, good find, keep us updated!
__________________
1983 Toyota pickup: total overhaul, preservation-restoration in constant progress...
1987 Yamaha XT600 2KF (German)
STOLEN: RED XL600 in Portland

I do heavy-duty textile repair, upholstery, and design/manufacture bags.
Zombie_Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 09:16 AM   #702
yadd
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Oddometer: 25
xl600

Name:  pauls   bike 020+.jpg
Views: 1473
Size:  140.2 KB
yadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 10:06 AM   #703
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...
 
Mercury264's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Masshole
Oddometer: 21,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by kta
I've followed this thread since the beginning. I just happened upon an 83 and couldn't resist. I don't need it for anything, nor do I really want it as I have plenty of project bikes to keep me busy, but it is now in my garage. The motor is toast, but it came with a complete spare that I'm told is ready to run. I'll swap it in when I get a few free hours this week and report back.



I hope this isn't out of line but if you find yourself looking for a parts bike (well an 82 XR500R parts bike) then drop me a line as I have one for sale and I'm fairly local to you - see my sig.

Cheers...
__________________
'12 Tiger 800XC
'07 TE510
'02 Sprint ST
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 04:12 AM   #704
White Label
Aged To Perfection
 
White Label's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Oddometer: 19
Nice job on the seat Joel!!

Hey Joel long time no see. I been hybernating. Its time for me to get the twins out and warm up their blood (83-85 XL600R) Last time I talked in November my 85 wouldn't start. Right when you just got on the road.I cleaned carbs adjusted the valves because it was running bad a high rpms and crapping out ,it made it home but I spent many a sunday on the couch after a start fest with no success. It wouldn't even pop,I bought auction CDI ,Reg,Rec scored 83 carbs last week for 29.00 and put them in. They were clean and I didn't think to check jet sizes. Anyway I kicked it open throttle about a dozen times and the de-comp cable disconeccted then one good kick w/choke and it started. I kept it running thru warm up. IT always smoked heavy until it warmed up but wow the fire dept did a drive by. I opened it up down the road. It made a unusually loud exhaust sound up front and was choking down when I throttle up, exhaust was puffing forward out the sleeve by the kick starter. So I shut er down and pulled the disc's off the supertrapp. They were all caked with crap and exhaust was backing up, no flow. I remembered that I had un-corked back in November after cleaning carbs. Anyway with open pipe I went down the road,wow off to the races, the new carbs must have some fat jets and restart first kick. So I went in and finally ordered the much needed seat cover. The co I been looking at shows a 85 XL350R but no 600. So I e-mailed them they said they didn't know if 350 was the same, ship us seat $50 extra cash we'll fix one up. So I just ordered a XL350 cover $22.00 marine vinyl with honda lettering. I will cross all needed appendeges and hope I'm right, look at pic's at that 100megs site the bikes are identical with smaller tire on the 350. I'll let you guys know , anybody have a XL 350 and a 600 to check out?
__________________
TreeTrans
White Label is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 09:10 AM   #705
Zombie_Stomp OP
Aspiring human
 
Zombie_Stomp's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: SE Portland/ Carrboroland NC
Oddometer: 2,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Label
Hey Joel long time no see. I been hybernating. Its time for me to get the twins out and warm up their blood (83-85 XL600R) Last time I talked in November my 85 wouldn't start. Right when you just got on the road.I cleaned carbs adjusted the valves because it was running bad a high rpms and crapping out ,it made it home but I spent many a sunday on the couch after a start fest with no success. It wouldn't even pop,I bought auction CDI ,Reg,Rec scored 83 carbs last week for 29.00 and put them in. They were clean and I didn't think to check jet sizes. Anyway I kicked it open throttle about a dozen times and the de-comp cable disconeccted then one good kick w/choke and it started. I kept it running thru warm up. IT always smoked heavy until it warmed up but wow the fire dept did a drive by. I opened it up down the road. It made a unusually loud exhaust sound up front and was choking down when I throttle up, exhaust was puffing forward out the sleeve by the kick starter. So I shut er down and pulled the disc's off the supertrapp. They were all caked with crap and exhaust was backing up, no flow. I remembered that I had un-corked back in November after cleaning carbs. Anyway with open pipe I went down the road,wow off to the races, the new carbs must have some fat jets and restart first kick. So I went in and finally ordered the much needed seat cover. The co I been looking at shows a 85 XL350R but no 600. So I e-mailed them they said they didn't know if 350 was the same, ship us seat $50 extra cash we'll fix one up. So I just ordered a XL350 cover $22.00 marine vinyl with honda lettering. I will cross all needed appendeges and hope I'm right, look at pic's at that 100megs site the bikes are identical with smaller tire on the 350. I'll let you guys know , anybody have a XL 350 and a 600 to check out?
Well, it sounds like you had a lot of wierd stuff going on there. If you suspect richness and don't wanna pull the carbs again, get yourself a "shorty" phillips and flat screwdriver for pulling the bowls and then jets. I think stock ones are 125 and usually considered lean. If you're in the mountains, you'll be having less o2, "thinner" air, so it will make it richer. Other causes for richness are clogged filter, again, less usable air, plus it leads to starting trouble since it's having a hard time pulling enough air to run with. Another more far fetched cause of slight richness (and I've never heard of this in reality, just a theory) somehow the choke is partially on, maybe due to a bad o-ring. Save that for last. But then again, you say the bike has always "smoked", now are we talking from oil? There's a certain kind of smoking that can happen from running rich, but it usually has a rich, nasty gas smell to the exhaust. You come to recognize the smell of burning oil. The one thing that got me past the hard starting was a Ricky Stator. I got to a point where it just would NOT start anymore. I know what you mean about those "kick-fest"s that leave you hopeless. Feels like you've tried everything, but really all I had to do was check for spark. Problem ws, it was getting spark, but it was a weak, fickle spark. If you put your hand on the plug and kick it, it had better be string enough to make you jump and shock the begeezus out of you, not a "9volt battery-to-the-tongue" effect.

As for the seat cover, I got mine through B&H specialties. They sew one up if they haven't got it in stock. They're sewn in USA by REAL AMERICANS. Handwritten on each piece of vinyl, someone jotted in ballpoint, "honda xl600r". Some of the seats may be similar, but the way you said it, it sounded like they said they'd make one up for you if one wasn't in stock. Good luck. When you get the right one, and you get to those difficult staples, remember about what I said earlier when I covered mine, stretch it evenly first, no matter how crooked your staples may go in, then go back one by one and replace every crooked, half-driven one with a solid, straight, all-the-way-in one. It'll pay of in the long run.
__________________
1983 Toyota pickup: total overhaul, preservation-restoration in constant progress...
1987 Yamaha XT600 2KF (German)
STOLEN: RED XL600 in Portland

I do heavy-duty textile repair, upholstery, and design/manufacture bags.
Zombie_Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014