Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2008, 09:04 PM   #721
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,751
Very cool report. I agree the motor is a tractor! Just point and shoot.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:52 AM   #722
Zombie_Stomp OP
Aspiring human

Oddometer: 2,234
I finally had to learn how to upload and imbed videos onto stuff for my mini ride report on the ADVrider dinner in Charlotte this past weekend, viewable on the link in my signature, page 69.
So, here's a couple boring vids of me toodling around town. I'll try to make some more action-packed ones in the future. (gotta practice those wheelies to make that happen...)

BTW, the Charlotte dinnner ride was the first long distance trip I mae on this bike, and it did very well, holding up to 65mph+ for extended periods (hours) and for a round trip distance of over 350 miles. One thing I realized while pondering the engine bugs is that using a thin gasket paper, even a paper gasket from an aftermarket gasket set on the rocker box, is not acceptable. The Honda gasket is a thick 3-layer embossed aluminum, and the thickness is important because the rocker box has to clamp down tight enough on the cam bearings and the gasket surface, and if the gasket is thin, it will clamp down on the bearings and still leave a gap at the gasket faces. So I'm definetly buying a stock Honda rocker box gasket. Anyone who's had their rocker box off their XL should be able to dig this information. What kind of gasket are you all using on yours?
Oh yeah, I almost forgot to add, I set a new personal top speed on the XL: 90mph.

I do heavy-duty textile repair, upholstery, and design/manufacture bags.
Zombie_Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 07:28 PM   #723
Gregster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_Stomp
...I'm definetly buying a stock Honda rocker box gasket. Anyone who's had their rocker box off their XL should be able to dig this information. What kind of gasket are you all using on yours?
Oh yeah, I almost forgot to add, I set a new personal top speed on the XL: 90mph.

90mph
Toldja these were great bikes.

I had developed a bit of an oil leak from my decompression shaft seal in the rocker box as well as a bit of a weep in the front of the rocker box gasket right above the spark plug area. Anyway, I just got back from the local Honda store this afternoon with the new seal and $43 gasket. That's one expensive gasket, but this time I'll take extra care to make sure it goes together right and all the bolts get torqued correctly.

Other than that, nice vids. Work on those wheelies. It will be rack fabricating time soon.
Gregster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 09:33 PM   #724
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

I have reused that metal rocker cover gasket with copper spray as a sealer and have had no problems.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:40 PM   #725
Zombie_Stomp OP
Aspiring human

Yeah I might just reuse the metal one I had originally on the head with my spray on copper coat too rather than pay $30+ ofr a new one.

Greg, that's the same area I got a leak on mine both times I've had it together and running. Because it's the exact same area for the both of us, I think it's intrinsic to the fiber gasket being used instead of a Honda aluminum gasket. This time around, I'm using thinner material too. I think it has to be thicker than the gasket paper in order to be clamped on those two bearings and still have enough sandwiching on the gasket faces, you know? If the cover is tightened down onto those bearings, and it's not hitting gasket because it's too thin, it would cause a leak, and the gasket were too thick, it would cause the cam bearings to be loose. What do you think of this evaluation, Greg, and what kind of gasket material were you using before?

Looking forward to rack time. I worked on my Pannier boxes a little, cleaning up the insides and killing mold with bleach. I'll get you some more details about the design, I can't wait!

Old 04-17-2008, 08:41 AM   #726
ere109
Ride On!

Oddometer: 2,930
Yeah, I'm still excited about those racks, too. Good luck finishing all your university stuff, Greg.
ere109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 12:36 AM   #727
Zombie_Stomp OP
Aspiring human

Rack Templates Are Here!

So we are all ready to design-a-rack using these template illustrations I made. So if anyone's got a design bug, they can take one of these. You can PM me if you want the fullsize file of these e-mailed to you. I just took a pic of the side of the bike, converted it to greyscale, bumped the contrast, and traced it right off the computer screen. I'm sure you whizzes out there have a much better and more effficient way. The design I'm visualizing but haven't drawn yet is one with two components. The first: a rack, similar to Gregster's but a bit smaller, lower, and not extending as far back. Second, a Pannier "yoke" of sorts (panniers remvable from it as well), that I can attach to the rack with its own braces that swoop forward and down to the frame, levering some of that additional weight off of the lower frame near where the two tubes meet at a "v", probably requiring welding a bolting point to the frame. Check out post #19 on page two of this thread to see the design that inspired me to take this approach. That thread has some great rack designs in it.

Old 04-21-2008, 06:25 PM   #728
BrandonR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 861
crosspost.. problem with my XL..

Garage Crosspost
Old 04-22-2008, 11:25 AM   #729
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

I did a 150 mile round trip on my 600 Sunday. I was mostly going 65mph touching 70 once in a while. With 15/50 gears I got 53mpg. I have to sit waaay back on the seat to get it to ride stable at the highway speeds. Sitting close to the tank will produce some intermittant headshake.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:04 PM   #730
BrandonR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdnakx250
I did a 150 mile round trip on my 600 Sunday. I was mostly going 65mph touching 70 once in a while. With 15/50 gears I got 53mpg. I have to sit waaay back on the seat to get it to ride stable at the highway speeds. Sitting close to the tank will produce some intermittant headshake.
Are your tires balanced? Mine was pretty rough at 65 until I put dynabeads in the tubes, now it's rock solid up to 70 or so and starts getting unstable above that.
Old 04-28-2008, 03:50 PM   #731
Zombie_Stomp OP
Aspiring human

News: I've done my first draft of the rack and pannier rack. They will be separate racks so pannis are removable. This rack is going to be fabricated by Gregster starting soon, assuming he's still up to it. I give him artistic license to deviate from the drawing, and am giving several other models which served as my inspiration as to how I should go about the design. I will be having my frame welded with tabs to mount the pannier rack's lower support bars to.
Key notes to Greg:
Please build so that:
-top surface is at least level or slightly slanted forward when bike is loaded with rider weight (160#) and ~40# cargo.
-seat may be removed easily with racks in place or at least with top rack in place.
-center of gravity as low as possible
-No paint or final grinding neccesary, as I have grinder with various discs and flap wheel, and acess to a blasting cabinet, so I can do the final stuff.

Here's a nice pannier bolt mounting system:

Here's my inspiration for the panniers and it has an offset to the lower support bars which may need to be replicated. I don't mind whether flat or tube stock, or whatever kind of stock is used for that part.

And finally, please look at the post your pics of xr650 L racks and bags thread, which has my favorite rack designs, the noteworthy ones are posts # 19, 32, and 34. Thanks!

Old 04-28-2008, 06:40 PM   #732
gswanna
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
the motor , mine makes the same whiney noise i guess thats normal -
gswanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 08:23 AM   #733
Zombie_Stomp OP
Aspiring human

Greg, hold up on the rack... I just found a fellow ADVer locally who has a shop we can use, so I may end up fabbing it here... I think ERE109 still wants one soon, I will post with updates on if this works out.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:52 AM   #734
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_Stomp
42941.0 miles. Any stats on how much longer well maintained 600cc rfvc engines tend to go on running for? This will help me decide whether to A) raise money and rebuild the top end, b)whole engine, or c)just run it till it needs rebuild.
Or any other suggestions...
That's about thru a XL600s life for total long ride possibly end up in the middle of noehwere type reliability. So, at the very least, Id rebuild the top end and carbs and install a new cam and cam chain and tensioners. At leas then, you'd know where you stand. I see XR,XL600s go to 60K but that's rare without a top end or at least a new cam chian and tensioners. The cam chain and tensioners and the pulser coil and ignitor on the stator were problems on the XL600R....
Old 04-29-2008, 09:52 AM   #735
ere109
Ride On!

Oddometer: 2,930
Yeah, I'm still interested in a rack, so keep us posted.
ere109 is offline   Reply With Quote