Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2008, 03:06 PM   #751
Zombie_Stomp OP
Aspiring human

Oddometer: 2,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264
Oh boy...that 'aint cheap (kinda ugly too)

I am not sure it's really needed - bearing in mind I dont ride/live in a hot state.

One thing that really helped me was going back to stock gearing - it runs much cooler as the revs are much lower it seems.

Before spending that much on the fins, I would go for an oil cooler.
I kinda like the look- if I were more practiced in welding aluminum to cast aluminum, it would not be very hard to cut out a few rows of those fins, drill holes in them, and then weld on one at a time from the bottom up and then run my piece of aluminum rod stock hrough and tack it on to each one for reinforcement. The part I'm curious about is what they do to the other side of the head, if anything. I only found that one pic, only showing the one side. So if they do nothing to the other side, which seems to need it more since there are less fins due to the two outside bolts- then the head would become hotter on that side, no?
Attached Images

I do heavy-duty textile repair, upholstery, and design/manufacture bags.
Zombie_Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 03:46 PM   #752
bronevaya
cheap-o-rider

Oddometer: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopewellz

your awesome!!
bronevaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 04:03 PM   #753
BrandonR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronevaya
let me rephrase my question, is there a cheap alternative? what other levers will work? I was hoping to find something used on ebay
I used a mountain bike brake lever for a week or so while waiting for a Honda parts order when I broke mine. To get out of the woods I swapped the cable over to the decompression lever.
Old 04-29-2008, 04:05 PM   #754
BrandonR
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdnakx250
Regarding heat, the danger zone is going to be stuck in a traffic jam not necessarily going down the freeway. The motor gets real hot real quick just sitting. Best to kill the motor and push if there is no way out of the jam. I have seen a BMW GS rider do this.
Most Harley guys that have fried their motors have been ones stuck in traffic.
If you have anything close to stock gearing 5th works like an overdrive keeping the cruising revs way down.
I was trail riding with a group one day, when the water cooled bike in front of me started puking steam from his radiator I shut the XL down since I'd been idling as long as he was, now I'm a bit more careful about it.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:19 PM   #755
bronevaya
cheap-o-rider

alright xl600r experts, help me out here

right below my shifter it leaks oil. its right around that area, I am thinking its a bad gasket? anyone else have this problem?

also the oil filter cover weeps oil, maybe thats an O-ring?
Old 05-05-2008, 07:44 PM   #756
Zombie_Stomp OP
Aspiring human

Quote:
alright xl600r experts, help me out here

right below my shifter it leaks oil. its right around that area, I am thinking its a bad gasket? anyone else have this problem?

also the oil filter cover weeps oil, maybe thats an O-ring?
Yes, you are right about the o-ring. That's easy. The shift lever is a little harder. You will need a "pick", a small hook-like tool. You order the oil seal for the shifter shaft. Then you remove the shift lever, and pry off the old seal using the pick. Then you take a spark plug socket and drive on the new seal. Common leak spot, but not too hard to replace. I once thought I'd have to split the cases to get it replaced, bu fortunately not! good luck!

Old 05-07-2008, 09:15 PM   #757
Zombie_Stomp OP
Aspiring human

Everyone tell me about your top speeds. When you're cruising at 60 (in 5th of course), do you get a noticeable increse in vibration when you go up to 65? Or between 65 and 70 perhaps? I think at 62 mine starts to go to a level of vibration that is just too much. A level of vibration that had me thinking about absurdly thick foam pads over my grips for cruising. I've had it up to 80 and 90 for a little while before, and up to 70 for extended periods. I'm just thinking my bottom end bearings are getting too far out of tolerance and creating this vibration. I'm also thinking that it is this excess vibration that has caused the base gasket to go, one of the cylinder bolts must have rattled loose, I started to hear a little tinkling metallic rattling that is still noticeable now before the base gasket started to leak, and it has developed into a bigger leak with the base gasket actually torn all the way through and blown out of position in the front. It's still running well and good around town as long as I don't keep it all the way hot for to long or the hot thin oil will leak a lot.

So does bottom end bearings out-of-tolerance show up as this kind of vibration, or should I just upgear the chain and sprocket(s) if I wanna cruise more smoothly at 65-70?

Old 05-07-2008, 10:18 PM   #758
BrandonR
Studly Adventurer

At 60 I'm either in 3rd or 4th, putting it in 5th lugs the engine down and you get lots of noise if you try to give it gas that low.

5th is an overdrive, at that speed you can cruise in 5th but any acceleration needs to drop to 4th.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:33 PM   #759
Zombie_Stomp OP
Aspiring human

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonR
At 60 I'm either in 3rd or 4th, putting it in 5th lugs the engine down and you get lots of noise if you try to give it gas that low.

5th is an overdrive, at that speed you can cruise in 5th but any acceleration needs to drop to 4th.
What are the teeth counts on each of your sprocket??
Mine is set up at something like 15/23 think. I know that for my engine in 3rd or 4th going 60, the vibration would be really hard.
anyone else?

Old 05-07-2008, 10:52 PM   #760
BrandonR
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_Stomp
What are the teeth counts on each of your sprocket??
Mine is set up at something like 15/23 think. I know that for my engine in 3rd or 4th going 60, the vibration would be really hard.
anyone else?
15/43 (stock gearing)
60 is about 6k RPM's in 3rd (Redline is 8k on the 600) so it's right at the shift point from 3rd to 4th but still a long ways from the rev limiter.
Old 05-08-2008, 06:00 AM   #761
error cooled
anything but asphalt

Oddometer: 1,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonR
15/43 (stock gearing)
60 is about 6k RPM's in 3rd (Redline is 8k on the 600) so it's right at the shift point from 3rd to 4th but still a long ways from the rev limiter.
My shift points are similar to Brandons. I agree that the vibration you are feeling is probably lug from being in the wrong gear. The bike is vibey, but not too horrible.

I just switched out the stock handlebar for an Aluminum one, and new dual compound grips and bark busters. The vibes to the hands are now much much less than they were with the stock bar.

Do you still have your stock bar end weights in?
error cooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 10:39 AM   #762
bronevaya
cheap-o-rider

I have been up to 70-80-90 on pirelli mt21(s) and the only thing I noticed at that speed was how much the wind was trying to push me off the bike.

p.s - I want to get a more modern front fender, does anyone know what will fit?
Old 05-08-2008, 10:42 AM   #763
Zombie_Stomp OP
Aspiring human

Quote:
My shift points are similar to Brandons. I agree that the vibration you are feeling is probably lug from being in the wrong gear. The bike is vibey, but not too horrible.

I just switched out the stock handlebar for an Aluminum one, and new dual compound grips and bark busters. The vibes to the hands are now much much less than they were with the stock bar.

I know what the lugging from being in too low a gear sounds/feels like. It vibrates worse if I drop a gear. No tach, so I can't tell you at what rpm I'm getting the noticeable change in vibration. I feel that the vibration gets bad before I actually get to the full peak rpms. I shift up before the vibration gets too bad. I am trying to figure out by asking you all these questions if my bottom end bearings are wearing out and causing it to vibrate too badly at the higher rpms. I don't have the bar weights in because one of the thingies that keeps it on inside the bar is missing so I didn't want to have it unbalanced. Why, do those cut down the vibration significantly? That would be nice.
My bottom end has 42,000+ miles on it.

Old 05-08-2008, 10:44 AM   #764
BrandonR
Studly Adventurer

Quote:

I swapped to an aluminum bar as well but kept the bar end weights (I had to make custom mounts for them) They really do help with the vibes. It's hard to judge whether your vibes are unusual over the web like this. You gotta remember there's a lot more mass moving up and down in the 600 than your scooters had so it won't be anywhere near as smooth. Do you have any freinds with experience on thumpers? Maybe one of them could hop on your XL and give their impressions of the vibes. If it really feels like it's shaking itself apart at 60 in 4th something is wrong it should be fairly smooth there.

BrandonR screwed with this post 05-08-2008 at 10:52 AM
BrandonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 10:55 AM   #765
BrandonR
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I have been up to 70-80-90 on pirelli mt21(s) and the only thing I noticed at that speed was how much the wind was trying to push me off the bike.

p.s - I want to get a more modern front fender, does anyone know what will fit?
I notice the wind really tries to force my knees apart at those speeds, after an hour or so of that I can't keep my knees against the tank.