Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2008, 11:35 AM   #766
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_Stomp
Everyone tell me about your top speeds. When you're cruising at 60 (in 5th of course), do you get a noticeable increse in vibration when you go up to 65? Or between 65 and 70 perhaps? I think at 62 mine starts to go to a level of vibration that is just too much. A level of vibration that had me thinking about absurdly thick foam pads over my grips for cruising. I've had it up to 80 and 90 for a little while before, and up to 70 for extended periods. I'm just thinking my bottom end bearings are getting too far out of tolerance and creating this vibration. I'm also thinking that it is this excess vibration that has caused the base gasket to go, one of the cylinder bolts must have rattled loose, I started to hear a little tinkling metallic rattling that is still noticeable now before the base gasket started to leak, and it has developed into a bigger leak with the base gasket actually torn all the way through and blown out of position in the front. It's still running well and good around town as long as I don't keep it all the way hot for to long or the hot thin oil will leak a lot.

So does bottom end bearings out-of-tolerance show up as this kind of vibration, or should I just upgear the chain and sprocket(s) if I wanna cruise more smoothly at 65-70?
Sounds like its time for the motor to come out again. I only had mine out 4 times to get everything right! I used locktight blue on those 4 cylinder bolts and copper coat on the gasket. I think the torque spec on those bolts is 25 foot pounds and they use a thick steel washer underneath.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:18 PM   #767
Zombie_Stomp OP
Aspiring human

Oddometer: 2,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonR
I swapped to an aluminum bar as well but kept the bar end weights (I had to make custom mounts for them) They really do help with the vibes. It's hard to judge whether your vibes are unusual over the web like this. You gotta remember there's a lot more mass moving up and down in the 600 than your scooters had so it won't be anywhere near as smooth. Do you have any freinds with experience on thumpers? Maybe one of them could hop on your XL and give their impressions of the vibes. If it really feels like it's shaking itself apart at 60 in 4th something is wrong it should be fairly smooth there.
I've felt it in the bars mostly, and it's at a certain RPM range regardless of gear. I'm thinking I'll try to get the bar weights back in there and see if that helps. i've tried feeling the engine at those speeds, and when I touch the engine, it doesnt feel anywhere near as vibrational as the bars do, so that's a good sign. Do your aluminum bars kind of soften things up for you too? That may also be worth a try. If you could describe your custom mount for the bar weights, that might be helpful. Thanks!

I do heavy-duty textile repair, upholstery, and design/manufacture bags.
Zombie_Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 11:19 PM   #768
BrandonR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_Stomp
I've felt it in the bars mostly, and it's at a certain RPM range regardless of gear. I'm thinking I'll try to get the bar weights back in there and see if that helps. i've tried feeling the engine at those speeds, and when I touch the engine, it doesnt feel anywhere near as vibrational as the bars do, so that's a good sign. Do your aluminum bars kind of soften things up for you too? That may also be worth a try. If you could describe your custom mount for the bar weights, that might be helpful. Thanks!
Pretty simple really, just a cylinder of aluminum that I machined down till it fit tight in the end of the bar for the left (it's threaded in the center for the bolt that holds the weight on) and on the right I used the stock mount (which rotates with the throttle) which I machined down to fit the smaller inside diameter of the aluminum bar. I don't know how much effect the bars themselves have, I replaced mine because the stock steel bars were bent pretty badly before I got the bike.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:57 AM   #769
bronevaya
cheap-o-rider

Oddometer: 64
new question here

(i am sorry if I am threadjacking)

I installed some led blinkers in the rear and this is how I wired them

power to left on orange
power to right on light blue

and the ground wires to the bikes frame.

but they dont blink at all.

could my switch thing be broken?

I dont know where to begin to look
bronevaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 10:59 AM   #770
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronevaya
new question here

(i am sorry if I am threadjacking)

I installed some led blinkers in the rear and this is how I wired them

power to left on orange
power to right on light blue

and the ground wires to the bikes frame.

but they dont blink at all.

could my switch thing be broken?

I dont know where to begin to look
If you seach on ADV you will see a few threads on this very topic. Essentially, when you use LEDs you need to add resistor packs since LEDs have much less resistance then regular bulbs and hence the blinker relay doesn't work correctly.

I doubt anything is broken but you will need to do more stuff to get them working.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 12:56 PM   #771
cyclewizard
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,797
I would put the stock ones back on they work fine.

Powered by CW-Pistons/cams
Wizard manufacturing....
cyclewizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 01:53 PM   #772
bronevaya
cheap-o-rider

Oddometer: 64
I bought my bike without any turn lights.

I got these leds for $14 for 4

the originals are bulky and I can usually only find one at a time, for prices up to $28 a peice.
bronevaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 02:47 PM   #773
BrandonR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 861
Speaking of parts, does anyone want to part with just one OEM passenger peg (The ones that mount on the swingarm) one of mine was smashed before I got the bike and I'd like to have two good ones.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:41 PM   #774
error cooled
anything but asphalt

Oddometer: 1,149
Upgrades and Farkles

I dropped a little bit of cash on my 83 this week, and started to get it ready for longer summer road trips. I thought I would post some pictures and give you guys some options.

Storage

Topbox

I needed a waterproof box for my travels to protect my papers and electronics. I had looked at various top boxes. Top on my list was the Pelican 1500 case, but since I lacked funds I decided to use something I saw in another thread, an 8 Gallon Rubber Maid Action packer. I picked mine up at Wal-Mart for $15 and got some reflective tape and U-Bolts to secure to the rear rack... the one that was sold for months on closeout on eBay. This case is a perfect size, lockable and secured to my rack very easily. Total cost around $20.

Tank Panniers

After looking at my options and my wallet I settled on Tusk ATV panniers from Rocky Mountain ATV. They were recommended by others. They secure with velcro to the tank side. The fit pretty well, and I look forward to using them. Total Cost $18.

Electrical

12v Jack
I wanted to be able to charge my phone and other devices while on the road. I went ahead and installed an all weather 12v Cigarette socket in my Action Packer. It charges my camera and phone with ease. All it required was the socket, an inline fuse, a soldering iron and wire. Total cost $10.

Controls

The stock bars had to go, and I wanted hand protection. I ordered up a set of Tusk Aluminum Handlbars (High CR), Tusk Aluminum Bark Busters and some new Renthal dual compound full waffle grips. It really changed the feel of the bike. Much less vibey and has a nice feel to it. I also like that my hands are protected. Total cost for all the components around $70.

One other thing, I also replaced the sparkplug FINALLY thanks to an extended socket I bought. The bike is easier to start than ever.. a very nice and surprising improvement.

I hope this gives you all some ideas

error cooled screwed with this post 05-09-2008 at 03:51 PM
error cooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 05:55 PM   #775
cyclewizard
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,797
my 83 XL600

Here's a pic of my restored XL