Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2008, 08:23 PM   #781
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,735
Did you find that the cylinder bolts were coming loose?
Be patient when going back together. Get the torque values as close as you can without risking stripping threads. Use locktite blue wherever possible.
I doubt your bottom end is smoked. You would be knocking, sucking/blowing oil or locked up.
Ebay and Craigs list are your friends. Would you believe a clean XL600 came up in Maryland for $800 and I was 1.5 hours away at the time back in January. I didn't jump on it... these deals pop up in the darnedest places.
Old 05-11-2008, 05:31 AM   #782
gboezio
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 363
Aluminium sahvings and pressurized crancase, humm, maybe there is something wrong with the piston/rings/cylinder, like scruffing, if its the case there would be a lot of blow-by fom the crancase vent.
Tell us what you find, got my hands on a similar engine, pulling the flywheel right now got to find a suitable high grade bolt, in all Honda fashion, they are not meant to be easily serviced

gboezio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 08:06 AM   #783
Zombie_Stomp OP
Aspiring human

Oddometer: 2,219
Hey guys,
I did not find that the cylinder bolts were loose. One, however, was easier to loosen, and the inner threads in the case on that one were chipped in a fashion that I've never seen before. It was wierd, the threads weren't damaged in a spiral fashion, stripped, nor were there any pieces of chipped metal in there, just cracked out little areas...wierd. No cracks in the surrounding metal were visible. I'll have to heli coil that one. s for the piston, i think the cylinder is a litle too close to out-of-spec. There wasn't an insane amount of blowby, but there was scuffing on the piston and the front and back of the cylinder. Not terrible, but I'm wondering if I should get a new piston for the final build in addition to a re-sleeve. Depends on piston measurements I guess. I'll find out more when I work on the engine again and take off the right side cover, that's where the floating metallic tapping was, and where I'll find the piece of whatever floating around. And bes on what it is, anyone?

I do heavy-duty textile repair, upholstery, and design/manufacture bags.
Zombie_Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 05:49 PM   #784
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,735
My bet is you were either hearing piston slap as it rocked back and forth in the bore or you heard the cam chain tension mechanism chattering. You said you put in a new spring but used the same mechanism. Mine was smoked after only 7,000 original miles and I couldn't get it to slip or chatter in my hands. It only did it while the motor was running. If you really had a piece of metal floating around in there it would have killed your engine dead. All those spinning gears would have been munching on it and gone kaboom.
The thread failure is common to high mileage XR600's from what I heard. The threads can just give out from heat and use, not being stripped out.
Old 05-12-2008, 02:44 AM   #785
gboezio
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 363
If the piston scruffed, IMO, it's gone, specially if you are going for a trip on that thing better be built for the long haul. Air cooled engines like looser clearances, assuming that the tolerances were too tight, you may just re-hone the cylinder and stuff a new piston/rings and call it a day.
As for the bolt not quite sure

gboezio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 06:06 AM   #786
Zombie_Stomp OP
Aspiring human

Quote:
Originally Posted by gboezio
If the piston scruffed, IMO, it's gone, specially if you are going for a trip on that thing better be built for the long haul. Air cooled engines like looser clearances, assuming that the tolerances were too tight, you may just re-hone the cylinder and stuff a new piston/rings and call it a day.
As for the bolt not quite sure
as I recall, it could not have been too tight because the cylinder was close enough to the outside of the service limit, that with all the honing we had to do to get the marks off the inside of the cylinder from the overheating (causing piston expansion and ring damage), I would guess it to be too large a bore before too small a bore. So now all I can think of is taking that right side cover off to find out what I can find out, but I'm at the coast this weekend, so I'll have to find a way to stop thinking about it for now.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:39 AM   #787
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_Stomp
I kinda like the look- if I were more practiced in welding aluminum to cast aluminum, it would not be very hard to cut out a few rows of those fins, drill holes in them, and then weld on one at a time from the bottom up and then run my piece of aluminum rod stock hrough and tack it on to each one for reinforcement. The part I'm curious about is what they do to the other side of the head, if anything. I only found that one pic, only showing the one side. So if they do nothing to the other side, which seems to need it more since there are less fins due to the two outside bolts- then the head would become hotter on that side, no?
or you can have XRs only do it for like 200 bucks, it works great. I have a 1991 that has the big fin head mod. Runs much cooler than my 96 which has yet to get the mod but will.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:59 AM   #788
Zombie_Stomp OP
Aspiring human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X
or you can have XRs only do it for like 200 bucks, it works great. I have a 1991 that has the big fin head mod. Runs much cooler than my 96 which has yet to get the mod but will.
What? they only charged you $200? Was that in 1991? They quoted me $300. I was just thinking of doing it home-made style to save money. One more question, can we see a pic of the right side of the head? I'm curious abut how they dealt with the area with the two studs on the outside of the head.

Old 05-13-2008, 03:40 PM   #789
Zombie_Stomp OP
Aspiring human

I want this seat/tank combo! Badd!!!

Old 05-13-2008, 04:04 PM   #790
BrandonR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 861
Where did you find that picture? Looks like it has a longer suspension as well as the bigger tank and smaller seat.
Old 05-13-2008, 04:50 PM   #791
cyclewizard
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,797
That's a XL600 ?