Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2010, 10:25 AM   #1021
Zombie_Stomp OP
Aspiring human

Oddometer: 2,229
I just joined the club- I now have an XR600 officially. These are the photos of the rear suspension installation I did recently. The linkage had to be modified slightly even though from a dual-carbed earlier XR. The frame brackets must be different. the frame brackets are the same width apart, just till over to one side a little on this model. They can be cut and moved over and the linkage replaced with another '85-'87 XR linkage if the thin-sided one should become a problem. One thick washer is used on one side to keep the grease cup in place.

I do heavy-duty textile repair, upholstery, and design/manufacture bags.
Zombie_Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 11:08 AM   #1022
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist

Oddometer: 8,633
good to see you are doing well!

i haven't visited the PNW for awhile.

i'll send you a PM later.
RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 12:36 AM   #1023
Zombie_Stomp OP
Aspiring human

Stolen: 1983 Honda XL600R with XR600 suspension upgrades.
A couple days prior, in the same exact spot it was last seen:

I had moved it from this spot and back and worked on it again in that spot within a handful of hours of it's theft. As I sit inside my studio working, it was hoisted. Here it is after the suspension mods, just as it was last configured:

Taken between 1pm and 7pm, Saturday, June 25th, 2011 in broad daylight at The Watershed Industrial Arts Center, 5040 SE Milwaukie Ave, Portland, OR, 97266. Parked at a new telephone pole located north of the bridge over Mc Loughlin Blvd. Telephone Camera pointed parallel to the building, but away from the site of theft, we are waiting.

PPD Case #1153115
Washington plate: 3A184

VIN:JH2PD0300DM001380 <="">
ENGINE VIN: This bike has a 1998 xr600 engine with a kickstart side cover, 1985 cylinder, 1983 head. Very distinctive combination!
It is leaking oil from the head bolts which I had modified in a last-ditch effort to use the only head bolts I had at the time. (WASINGTON STATE RECORDED THIS INFO AT TIME OF TITLING, WORKING ON RETRIEVEING THIS)

Distinctive features:

-Kite string tied to choke lever in stead of the plastic one I'd repaired makeshift twice prior. Hose clamp on left handlebar weight. These were my choke lever replacement means I'd arranged on the afternoon it was 'liberated', I'd just perfected it. Was about to design and cast aluminum ones, but now I can't do that. I spent an intense hour kicking it over with improperly metered choke, impetus to make a few cast aluminum ones. Hopefully the thief will try to start it and break his ankle by opening the throttle (kickback)

.-XR/ XR650L suspension from a 1989 (correct) XR600, front and rear. Swingarm has AFAM, Bel-Ray, RK Racing Chain, and other MX brand name stickers.

-Marlboro-esque V pattern flat-black painted on tip of front fender with bright red number '5' in the middle.

-custom-made steel rack on the back, red and exposed steel from somewhat recent modifications. Rack rides high and level with seat, with crossbar. I made it.

-FMF Megamax exhaust pipe and header, aluminum on silencer is cross-hatch hand-polished and lacking the badge. More distinctive information on this pipe available upon request, should a badgeless FMF turn up. The profile on the can is a true oval with a custom shield of steel.

-Engine is a mix of various years, at it's core it is a 1998 XR600 engine, evident by the stator cover being silver the cylinder is 1985 with gray primer overspray and oil weeping from bolt holes near bottom fins. Head is 1983.

-Kite string tied to choke lever in stead of the plastic one I'd repaired makeshift twice prior. Hose clamp on left handlebar weight. These were my choke lever replacement means I'd arranged on the afternoon it was 'liberated', I'd just perfected it. Was about to design and cast aluminum ones, but now I can't do that. I spent an intense hour kicking it over with improperly metered choke, impetus to make a few cast aluminum ones. Hopefully the thief will try to start it and break his ankle by opening the throttle (kickback)

$100 reward PLUS $250 custom work in my shop, for any information leading to the return of this trans-american vehicle. Some of my goods and services are for sale on www.a-go-go-designs.com and www.agogodesigns.etsy.com or PM, E-mail, or cOME TO the Watershed and knock on the window with the flyer for the stolen bike, along the path on the North side of the building.

I just want the bike returned. But if you see it anywhere, please dial 911. Kinda like that old sticker, "if you see my bike on a trailer, dial 911."

Best regards to all.

Old 06-26-2011, 03:50 AM   #1024
Mopowa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
Joel,
Sorry to hear about your loss! We all know how much love you put into that bike. I'm at the other corner of the country, but I'll watch for possible parts matches. Best of luck with finding it and the thieving punks!
Old 06-29-2011, 07:41 PM   #1025
Zombie_Stomp OP
Aspiring human

I am going even more old school now. ADVer Jard has offered a running project, 1979 XR250. This is more like what I set out to get in the first place. My tastes changed, but it will be nice because:
-more like what I remembered wanting as a kid
-smaller, so I can ride the shit out of it and less likely to get a ticket
-tune and bore the shit out of it for a 350
-can do crazier off road shit on it and throw it around more, become more "one with the bike"
Attached Images

Old 06-30-2011, 10:40 AM   #1026
Mopowa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
Joel,

Sorry to hear about your loss. We all know how much you loved that bike. Every time I hear of an XL6 getting stolen, I'm just amazed that someone who doesn't own one can start it. I like the XR250! How plentiful are parts for that model? Good luck with whatever you decide!
Old 07-03-2011, 12:43 AM   #1027
Zombie_Stomp OP
Aspiring human

There's also an XL600 in Salem, bad transmission, for only $250.

There's also my flyer campaign on the missing bike that also mentions that I teach "Zen and the art of motorcycle mechanics".

Old 02-09-2012, 09:35 PM   #1028
Manuel213
n00b

Oddometer: 2
84 Honda XL600R Help!

Inherited 84 XL600R non-working was told by mechanic engine is shot... But want to give it a shot and see what I can do with it. But need help getting started: What manual do i need to redo engine/motor, any help would be great! i'll post pics soon : )
Manuel213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 05:34 PM   #1029
troubleiq
troubleiq

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_Stomp View Post
Ahh, the boots are separated a little from the box. Extra air is probably getting in, more easily than if it were having to go through the filter, amking it lean. The rubber is a little stiff, morerso than when they were new I'm sure. (Wonder if they make new rubber parts still?) I have some black RTV silicone with me, but I also have contact cement at my folks' house. Which one do you all recommend? Thanks for the link to a gasket supplier. I avoid doing business with my local Honda dealer because I have not had a good time ordering parts through them before. I'm on the hunt for a pair of bowl seals, too. I may resort to using rtv on that though. bike barn shows no bowl gaskets for xl600. Any more ideas on where I might find them? Someone tell me the model number of the carbs. Keikhin model______?
2wheel pros has them and guarantees lowest pricing. They are still pricey tho. Here's the link http://www.2wheelpros.com/oem-parts/...-assembly.html
troubleiq is offline   Reply With Quote