Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2007, 09:16 AM   #16
Reinhold OP
No, not Messner

Oddometer: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by grinder96
Reinhold,

I have a KLR and it doesn't like the highways so much. Here in L.A. the min freeway speed is 70 mph. Once I get to the fireroads, "b"roads and twisties it is in its own (and the speeds drop).

How would you compare the top end of the 640 to the KLR on the open road?
I liked to keep the 640a below 5000 RPM on the highway which gave me around the area of 110kph (gps). I think thats near the 70mph mark. Lots of juice left for passing. Compared to the KLR I don't think that there is a heck of a lot of difference in top gear roll on, at least with the KTM in its stock form. Now that we are back I'll have to get my buddies together with their KLR's (07 and a new 2008) to have a little comparison with the bikes unloaded. Then we'll have to do it again once I've done some mods recommended on this site.
Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 09:58 AM   #17
Reinhold OP
No, not Messner

Oddometer: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed1k
I, and I'm sure plenty others, am curious as to more comparison info between the 640A and the KLR (my ride) and even the GS (2 buddies have 1200GS)
Is the 640A worth the money over the KLR? Why/why not?
Where does each outshine the others?

-Zed1K
Some of my buddies question me when I bought the KTM when for $4000.00 CDN less I could have bought a new KLR. Is it worth it? Compared to the new KLR I can't say because I have not been on one. Compared to my old KLR ,yes think it is worth it. The brakes, suspension and the quality of components are why. And of course the performance that you get from the above.

I guess the type of riding that you do will help you decide. If you're doing a RTW trip then a KLR would do just as good. Your going slow enjoying the sights. When I go on my trips up to northern Canada and Alaska the riding is a big part of the trip(along with the sights and the people of course). The KTM was a blast to ride. The soft sand, loose gravel and rough roads were sought after not avoided like some of the heavily laden GS's and V-strom's. The KLR had no problem with the terrain also but you just went a little bit slower and were a little bit more cautious.

Is it worth the extra cash? Your buddies could have spent thousands less on a bike that could have been just as capable in some areas of riding but they went for the Beemers. Ask them why they did'nt buy a 1000 V-strom.

I'm keeping the KLR. My girlfriend is modifying it for her use. She put a lowering kit on it, barkbusters (they are getting a lot of use) and she just had an inch and a half cut off the seat. I asked her why doesnt she just lose an inch and a half off her butt.... that didnt go over that well.
Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote